PDA

View Full Version : Q for Mama's who lost a ridiculous amount of hair...

NancyJ_redo
09-28-2003, 01:37 PM
How long does this last?? I'm starting to get scared. It's been going on for about a month now, and everyday I lose a TON of hair. I have long hair so maybe that's making it seem worse than it is, but I can't believe I have any hair left given the rate at which I've been losing it. Everyday I find my hair all over the floor all over the house, and also run my fingers through it to get the loose strands out (otherwise it ends up in DS's mouth, clothes, diaper...you get the picture) and I end up with a handful everytime, a couple times a day. Yikes!!

I'm gonna go get a blood test tomorrow to find out if something's wrong (thyroid?), but in the meantime I'm very worried that I will soon have less hair than DS. Has any of you had a similar experience?

Edited to add: Oops, I didn't mean to ask if you've had a similar experience, because I recall an old thread where others said they were losing a lot of hair. What I meant to ask is when did it stop for you?? It seems like it's been going on a loooong time for me.

bluej
09-28-2003, 01:51 PM
I'm currently going through this myself. I don't recall how long it lasts (6-8 weeks maybe?), but I do know that you lose more hair than you think is physically possible, so I know the alarm you are talking about! I will add another question to those who recently went through this...any good drain cleaner recommendations? Professional strength Liquid Drano isn't cutting it!

DDowning
09-28-2003, 01:53 PM
ITA!!! I'd also like to know the same answer! Im surprised that there is any left on my head at the rate I'm losing it!

ddmarsh
09-28-2003, 02:15 PM
Rest assured, I remember thinking "this can't possibly keep happening" when it had been going on for several weeks. I really felt like it happened much more this last pregnancy than previously, but it could just be my memory. I want to say it lasted a good weeks or so, perhaps closer to 2 months. As I recall just when I thought there must really be something wrong it began to wane a bit. I kept telling DH that I could make some money providing hair for Barbies :).

heytootsy
09-28-2003, 02:15 PM
Well, Maya was born in March and I am STILL losing a lot. It slowed down, but my hair is so thin now. It does not come out by the handfuls anymore, but it still gets everywhere. Sorry, I hope yours stops sooner!

houseof3boys
09-28-2003, 02:53 PM
Nancy I'm right there with you in the Hair Club for Mommies! Mine started falling out like crazy last week and it is awful! I have pretty thin hair too so I'm paranoid but I know it will stop falling out eventually. I just think of how strong my nails are these days and that helps me feel a little bit better....sort of. :P

hellokitty1
09-28-2003, 02:58 PM
Nancy-

Do a search here literally on "going bald" and you will pull up a bunch if topics about it. If you ar really concerned, then keep your doctor's appointment, but FWIW, it's very typical to lose a lot of hair post-partum. IF you recall when you were pregnant, your hair might have seemed very full and thick and to some degree, it's just getting back to normal. Unless it's falling out in clumps, I wouldn't worry much. My DD was born in late April and mine is still falling out. Also, I hear it can be exacerbated by breastfeeding too. HTH.

Marisa6826
09-28-2003, 03:31 PM
Well, Sophie's almost 10 months old and I still get several combfulls out every morning...

It slowed down dramatically after about six months.

You have to remember that you stopped shedding hair all together for the nine months you were preggo (your follicles kind of go into hibernation during pregnancy), so you have nine extra months worth that has to fall out.

Depressing, yes, but at least you know the end isn't THAT far off.

Fortunately, I have a TON of hair to begin with so I'm the only one that really notices.

What's even stranger are the tiny bangs that have started to grow in (and I DON'T have bangs to begin with!!).

-m

bluej
09-28-2003, 04:13 PM
"What's even stranger are the tiny bangs that have started to grow in (and I DON'T have bangs to begin with!!)."

LOL! Shortly after Ryden was born I got my hair cut so I could no longer pull it back and lo and behold, I had 5 inch coarse black curly hair sticking out all over! I have stick straight brown hair. I don't think I noticed the new weird hair growth b/c I just always pulled it back and sprayed it so it was smooth. We had to sit there w/ a tweezers and pluck out all of the wirey hair b/c it really stood out!

redhookmom
09-28-2003, 06:18 PM
I first noticed hair loss at 4 months (Christmas day to be exact.) It continued until about 10 months and at 12 months is beginning to grow back. It is a different texture then the rest of my hair, I don't know what's up with that but I will take it. I am so thankful as I assumed I would go against the norm and go completely bald.

Jessica

KMommie
09-28-2003, 07:34 PM
Mine is just starting to grow again, but I'm still losing a lot. I have all these little "baby hairs" sticking up, and it's driving me crazy! At least, I know it'll all grow back though! :) It's been 5 months...

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

amp
09-29-2003, 11:14 AM
I am also in the hair loss club right now. 4 mths post baby and I find hair EVERYWHERE! On Jake, on my shirt, in the drawers where the hairbrush sits, on the stove...yes, more than one! I told you it was everywhere! When will it stop! Please say before I go bald! I had think hair to start with and it makes me nervous!

kristine_elen
09-29-2003, 11:34 AM
I hate to freak anyone out, but my hair fell out for about 8 months -- until I stopped nursing. It was so disturbing. I went to a dermatologist to make sure my body wasn't out of whack in other ways, but a blood test showed no problems. She, the doc, said it would probably last as long as I nursed, and she was right. Only recently has it stopped falling out so much. My hair was fine/thin anyway, so it just broke my heart. I decided to keep nursing anyway, until Jack kind of weaned himself. I think my case was a bit more severe than most (lucky for you all!).

jmofarrill
09-29-2003, 11:58 AM
Count me in for losing tons of hair.

I also noticed that I stopped shedding while I was pg. If a co-worker had not told me to expect mega-shedding esp when breastfeeding, I probably would have freaked out. As it is, I just assumed that my shedding was in hyper-drive to make up for when I was pg.

I don't have the drain problem b/c I try to catch all the hair before it gets to the drain - I comb my hair before, during, and after both shampooing and conditioning to catch all the loose hair.

kss611
09-29-2003, 12:06 PM
Mine fell out for close to 3 months. Although, it seemed like pure torture while I was going through it, it did stop falling out and it did grow back. (It is A LOT of fun having spikey bangs in the early stages of it growing back!)

Karen

Mom to Meredith 6/11/02

blnony
09-29-2003, 01:26 PM
not to make you feel worse, but I'm still losing hair and its been 13 months; there isn't anything chemically wrong with me, all the tests have been fine and my OB said as long as I'm growing new hair "not to worry." Yeah right, can you tell my Dr is a man???;)

mamahill
09-29-2003, 03:16 PM
I had major shedding for 3-4 months. The good news is it stopped before I went bald. The bad news is that now it's growing in, I've got 2 lengths of hair, and the stuff growing in is short enough that it's curling (doesn't have the weight to pull it straight) ever so slightly. I've gotta say, the cowardly lion look is NOT flattering. *sigh* As if motherhood isn't humbling enough...