PDA

View Full Version : OT- face cream

lizajane
09-29-2003, 03:58 PM
so i am 28 and thinking that maybe i should start the anti-aging products NOW before i really NEED them. but i have NO idea where to start. i don't want to pay a lot for something "fancy" when drug store brands are just as good. and i don't have a lot to spend anyway. and i have no idea where to look for actual research on which brands are best, or what ingredients are best...

what is everyone using? i have VERY oily/breakout prone skin. and i am a sun junkie, hence the need to start right away.

THANKS!!

kathsmom
09-29-2003, 04:18 PM
Hi, Liza!

Oh, to be 28 again! I am 38!LOL! Right now, I don't use any kind of face cream, except around the eye area. I have oily skin and rosacea. I highly suggest that you look at Paula Begoun's book, Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me. It has really helped me a lot. She goes through all the skin care and makeup lines and tells you if they are good or bad, based on the ingredients. Some ingredients are known irritants, skin sensitizers, and sun sensitizers. She does state in the beginning of the book that products that she doesn't give good ratings to may work for people. It is up to the individual to look at the information she has presented and make an informed decision.

I use her skin care for oily skin. It is fragrance and dye free. I only use the cleanser and toner. She has a money back guarantee on all of her products and they are reasonably priced. You can go to her website to see her products and learn more about her book and newsletter. It is www.cosmeticscop.com . You might want to see if your library has a copy of the book. I know that our Borders and Barnes and Noble had it. The newest edition is the 6th edition which came out earlier this year.

BTW, I use Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair eye cream around the eyes (when I actually remember to put it on). So far, it is the only one that doesn't irritate my eyes or the skin around my eyes. I get the samples that come with the gift with purchase from my mom. I can't afford to actually buy it!LOL!

HTH! Good luck!

MartiesMom2B
09-29-2003, 04:22 PM
Liza:

I have some stuff that I can hook you up with.

The good think about oily skin is that the oil helps protect the skin. But who wants oily acne skin? On the hand most of the ingredients for anti-aging has things such as acids that may be too harsh with some of the ingredients that are found in oil control products such as salicylic acid.

On top of that you should wear sun screen on your face and hands everyday. The skin that you have in your 50s is the skin that you take care of in your 30s. I got that from Iman on Oprah. Ha ha.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

jd11365
09-29-2003, 09:31 PM
My mom is a pretty well-respected aesthetician in NY...she has been quoted in Glamour and Self magazines for her opinions.. If she had to choose a drug store brand she would say Neutrogena products...they also have products with sunscreen which she would also recommend. They were actually just mentioned on the Today show as a great product. She would certainly recommend seeing a clinical aesthetician (different from a salon type which is more shi-shi-foo-foo) because they would offer medical grade skin care products instead of some of the salon stuff that can actually make your skin worse sometimes. FYI...if you are ever into the higher quality stuff, her favorite product is Sothys.

Mommy to Kayla
5/1/03