PDA

View Full Version : Xmas Gift for my Wife

esca540
09-30-2003, 11:54 AM
I'd like suggestions on what I can get my wife for Xmas? My wife just had our first baby 7 months ago and I'd like to get something special for her this year. I'd like to spend no more than $200 total. Thanks so much for your suggestions.

jmofarrill
09-30-2003, 11:58 AM
What I would like most of all (and yes, I'm asking for this), is for a maid to come in at least once and do a good cleaning. Must include bathrooms, kitchen, dusting, vacuuming, and mopping. I have enough energy and time to get the surfaces cleaned off and put things where they should be, but I never have time to dust, vacuum, or mop, and darn it, my house needs these things done!

HTH,

KMommie
09-30-2003, 12:57 PM
How about a relaxing day at the spa? I personally don't like massages and such, but all my friends do, and a day of pampering might be nice for her. Not sure on price range, though... I think it depends on the services and the spa itself. Here in California, we have a chain called Burke Williams Spa, and they have a website with pricing, $200 should get a massage and maybe facial or pedicure. They have gift certificates so you wouldn't have to decide what she'd want, she could choose the services herself.

If you want something a little more sentimental, maybe some type of keepsake? Like the beginning of a charm bracelet with a special charm in honor of her first Xmas as a mom? You could add to it as other gift opportunities come up.

You are so sweet to think of Xmas gifts for your wife, it's only September! DH take NOTE! :)

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

MartiesMom2B
09-30-2003, 02:01 PM
I would love my husband to give me some time to myself for Christmas. The maid idea is good and so is the spa day.

Jewelry is always nice too, but right now I find time for myself most valuable.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

jec2
09-30-2003, 02:42 PM
My brother bought my SIL a charm bracelet with a special baby charm the year my niece was born. Each year since, my brother and niece go out and pick a special charm to add that illustrates something special that occurred that year, e.g. a house the year they bought a new house, a dog for when they adopted a dog, a pineapple for the x-mas they spent in hawaii, etc. My SIL loves it, and brother and niece have a great time together picking out the new charm each year.

lizajane
09-30-2003, 02:53 PM
while a charm bracelet is not my taste, i think it is a wonderful idea for a special gift. (if it is her taste!) i like that you can add to it every year.

what about a session for professional portraits of her with baby? i feel like i always TAKE the pictures and never get to be IN any of them! or a session for the whole family!

what does she like to do? i like crafts and would love all the materials required to make a scrap book of ds's first year. i would want to put it together myself, so i would want the "stuff." but maybe it she would like it if YOU put it together?

does she like to run or walk? a jogging stroller.

does she like to garden? seeds, tools, a book, a gift certificate for more plants in the spring...

these are things that I like, so that is where i am going... i really like it when dh gets me a gift because he has paid enough attention to me all year to know that i would really want it. he gave me a book by an author i really like and read often, which showed me that he actually noticed what i was reading. i was very impressed. and it was only a $20 book.

something i have always wanted but thought was a little extravagent- the smith and hawken flower thing where you get a differnt flowering plant every month for a year. i LOVE it. you could give her something that grows and need nurturing, like your child. sounds silly like that, but ykwim.

COElizabeth
09-30-2003, 03:30 PM
If your DW is taking most of the photos, the idea of a photo session with her and the baby or the whole family is a great one. And combine it with a spa treatment and hair cut/style session so she looks especially great for the photos!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

redhookmom
09-30-2003, 04:10 PM
I am printing this thread for my husband. What great ideas. I would LOVE andy of these gifts or all of them!

houseof3boys
09-30-2003, 04:50 PM
I am with you on the Smith and Hawken flower thing Liza. I LOVE that catalog and we have a store here in Atlanta that I love going to. I think that is a fab gift idea (albeit a bit expensive) since it is the gift that keeps on giving every month!!!

KMommie
09-30-2003, 05:58 PM
If you love S&H plants for a year, check out calyxandcorolla.com. I love their plants and flowers! :) They have similar programs.

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

teachermommy
09-30-2003, 10:37 PM
What about a ring with your child's birthstone? My husband gave me a beautiful garnet ring for my first Mother's Day. Our baby girl was born January 4 and I loved the sentimentality of his gift. You can probably find a nice gemstone ring for under $200. If your baby was born in April (diamond) it might be more. :-)

Michelle- Mommy to Erin Marie 1-4-00 and Carson Matthew 12-12-02

SeekerMage
10-01-2003, 12:55 AM
There are lots of good ideas on here!

I love the charm bracelet idea....my hubby bought me one for mothers day with two charms, little baby rings...one for Angie and one for Lilbit...sadly I lost it, though I keep my fingers crossed its in the house somewhere like it should be....anyhow...you can get these very inexpensively if you look around. Department stores are great...mine is from JcPennys and the quality is excellent, just look for the sales which will save you a bundle!

Jewerly is always great to me...I love love love it! I like the birthstone ring idea, or even earrings or necklace. They have nice mother child necklaces too.

I know a lot of jewerly stores, and places in the mall (atleast here in chicago) make charms, key chains etc etc out of a picture. You could have a picture taken of you and the baby...or just baby and have it etched into a charm for her to wear.

What about a bracelet like an id bracelet that you could have a saying etched into like babys name and birthdate or soemthing cute like the best mommy in the world etc etc..

perhaps arrange for a babysitter for the night and get tickets for a play, or dinner and a movie...soemthing you dont get to do often. quality time together is a nice thing. If you want to spend more but spread it out arrange for a sitter for once a week or every other week that you could pay in advance, or get movie passes or something so that you have a scheduled date for a few months. If you dont have a sitter, there are many sitter services out there that you can arrange time with. I personally work for one that I could introduce you to, just pm me!

I like the spa idea...though Im not into it myself but atleast a make over, hair cut, or manicure pedicure would be nice.

PErhaps sign her up for a Mommy and me class?...or some other kind of class that she could take on her own...sewing, scrapbooking, cooking, or any other type of thing she might have an interest in. THe park district, or local college has many to choose from.

Perhaps arrange for a meals on the go type place, or catering service etc to deliver dinner once a week for a while...like fridays so she can have a night off to spend how she wants

maybe make her a gift basket of things to help her relax...cumfy pjs, bath salts and lotions, a face mask, scented candles, relaxing music, perhaps some new perfume, some chocolates and perhaps a good book or movie. A sort of pampering kit. Im sure you can find anything nice at Bath and Body works, but it would be even nicer if you put something together yourself, just find her favorite scent, color, her fav type of relaxing clothes and go with it! OR...You could do something opposite and give her a sensual kit with a sexy nighty, maybe scented oils, massage beads,and other romantic type things to show her you still find her sexy and desireable (if she is into that kind of thing).

MAybe start her on a collection of collectables if she likes knick knacks. THere are so many things from Precious Moments (religious type ones that have tons of mommy, family and other type figures to get) to a collection I think called Willow Tree, very simple hand carved people figures that you can get mom, dad, baby etc...there is snow babies, always the Lladro, or any kind of crystal figures etc. What is nice is you will have something to add to in the future.

have a sweatshirt or other type item made that has babys name on it, or is personalized somehow for her.

Going with the photo session, arrange for a family grouping, or even just you and the baby, perhaps matching outfits or something fun that she might not expect and Im sure will treasure as being her two favorite people.

Give her a gift card for one of her favorite stores and arrange for her to have a shopping day alone without baby and insist she can only buy things for herself.

If not a maid what about a mothers helper to come once a week for a while? Can try and find someone who will not mind helping out around the house with dusting, laundry or other odds and ends. An hour or two a week at about 10$ an hour will last for a few months time. ( Can also arrange this through the babysitting service)

thats all that I can think of now...hehehe....one thing you might think of is if she devotes all her time to the baby....does she want something baby related that might make her time with baby easier or more rememorable...or would she enjoy something to help her relax and remember herself as a woman and not just a mom. I know I personally love my kids, but sometimes its nice to have a little "me" time, (running errands, going shopping etc is so nice when alone once and a while) especially around the holidays which can be hectic. Happy shopping!

mabuckles
10-01-2003, 06:46 AM
I have to chime in a agree that jewerly in a great option. My husband got me a beautiful emerald (Madison's birthstone) necklace for x-mas last year. It is simple and fits my style. I wear it every day and it reminds me of me of my dd and dh!

dogmom
10-01-2003, 07:13 AM
Maid and jewerly were my first suggestions.

Also, I would love it if my husband signed up him and the baby for a Saturday class (they have baby swim classes in my neighborhood that last four weeks). It would allow me several hours of guild free me time where I knew my DH and son were spending quality time together. Maybe Gymboree has something on the weekend?

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

Jen841
10-01-2003, 08:55 AM
I have a charm braclet and love it! This thread makes me want to start a new one now that I am a Mom. I know people with multiple ones with different themes. I bought my bridemaids charm bracelets from here and love the quality of what I purchased http://www.moonlightcharms.com/ In person, we went to Silver Works in Bethany, DE. They had good charms for good prices.

Although I was ready to cut it out of the budget, DH has us keeping the cleaning lady and it is PRICELESS. It started when he was traveling and I had such bad morning sickness I could not handle the scent of cleaning supplies, and it has not stopped (I let her in this am!) Why not commit to a year of a cleaning lady?

What is a chore your wife dislikes... find someone to do it? If she does not like cooking, hire a chef for a night. If she enjoys cooking, sign her up for some classes.

DH bought me a Kate Spade purse for my b-day after Jude was born. He knows I would NEVER buy one, and he said he wanted to get me something that was not Mommy related. I love the purse but don't carry it since my life is in the diaper bag right now.

I love the idea of a daddy/baby class that allows Mom some extra sleep on the weekends.