PDA

View Full Version : OT--Anyone have suggestions on where I can go to learn info on investing?

peanut4us
09-30-2003, 01:40 PM
My mom and grandpa came to visit this weekend (which was great!). My grandpa is one of the more financially successful people I know. We talked about my needing to invest some of the money we have. And I realized I know practically diddly-squat about how to invest.

I don't want to just go to some broker and have them do it all. I want to really understand it myself. Does anyone have suggestions of where I can go to learn? I really don't even know the basics, so I need to start from scratch. Online places, magazines, books, other???

nathansmom
09-30-2003, 02:15 PM
Joey-
I have a couple of books I'll loan you. I'd get you the names but Nate is sleeping in my arms right now. I'd happily loan them to you if your interested.

khakismom
09-30-2003, 02:39 PM
Try the Motley Fool. They have books and a Web site too. When it came to me understanding the basics, I found "The Motley Fools Guide to Investing" to be invaluable. Besides books, they have workbooks plus a radio show on NPR.

http://www.fool.com/

Good luck--it can be daunting! :)

nathansmom
09-30-2003, 03:11 PM
Good one. I forgot about the Motley fool in the message I sent you Joey. I love the Motley fool.

McQ
09-30-2003, 07:13 PM
We went to American Express and our financial planner is such a boob. I know that's not helpful but he just pissed me off for the millionth time today.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

cthuynh91
09-30-2003, 08:37 PM
I think it depends on what you're looking for, basic investing, 529's, estate planning? I'd second Motley's and I would also recommend CNN - Money or MSN Money. In the Personal Section, it kind of gives you the 411 on different issues that you need to think about and a quick primer. Once you have some knowledge and have the basic terms down, it will be easier to navigate other sites and books. I have people who swear by Barrons, but I think that's for those who truly follow the market. If there's anything specific you want to investigate, feel free to email me. I'm not a financial planner by any means but am fairly comfortable with all that stuff.

Carina

P.S. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the brokers. They're expensive and you never know what their true agendas are as proven by all the latest developments in the analyst community.

csa12
09-30-2003, 09:27 PM
I also found the Motley Fool website to be extremely helpful as far as getting to know the basics and thensome of saving for college, IRAs, investing and even other stuff like refinancing our home. Their site is so user friendly. Also, after learning the basics the site and their book offers more specific info if you want it. I think that would be a great place to start.

The other resource that I found helpful, but the book is a few years old is called "Get a financial life" by Beth Kobliner sp? It gave me a great overview of financial planning and investing and helps you coneceptualize concrete short and long-term financial goals which in the end dictate the type of investing you may want to practice. I found this book very easy to read.

HTH,
Cheryl

dogmom
10-01-2003, 07:37 AM
I advocate educating yourself (Motley Fool website great place) and then get a fee for service Financial Planner. Ours is quite reasonable. I feel for the money we pay him (not much, really) we have gotten our money's worth. I don't advocate using anyone that is "free" because then they get their money from commisions. Most Financial Planners take a % of your investment. It gives them insentive to grow your investment. Ours specializes in socially conscious investing, which we were interested, but I really didn't have the time to research. If your do it on your own, try simple things like low cost index funds to start. With any book I think you have to figure out what the "angle" of the author is. I lot of books want to make you feel guilty about spending money and not being on top of the $$ game.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

lizamann
10-01-2003, 08:53 AM
Personal Finance for Dummies.

It's more general than just investing, including stuff on insurance and mortgages, etc, but I think understanding the whole picture is important before you start investing. I really enjoyed this book.