PDA

View Full Version : co-sleeping quesions

zuzu
10-01-2003, 08:53 AM
I also posted this on the 411 board, but don't know how many people visit there.

Our daughter usually sleeps between us at night, but how does co-sleeping work with just one parent? DH will be away for a few nights next week and now that Sarah has started to roll to her tummy I am not sure best how to keep her safe. Between us she sleeps on her back or side, but I've noticed that she will turn to her tummy if we are not both in the bed with her. She can roll from back to tummy, but cannot return to her back without help. I've heard that once they can roll both ways it may be okay to tummy sleep, but what about when she can't yet roll back? Also, should I set up some sort of safe barrier so she has something on the other side while her Dad is out of town? I guess I could put her in her crib for those nights, but in case she can't sleep well there, I'd like some other options. We didn't plan to co-sleep, so I haven't read much about it, but it worked best for her in the early days and we've stuck with it.

I would appreciate any advice on co-sleeping with one parent and what to do about her rolling onto her tummy when she can't roll back.

Many thanks.

melissa

beckyr88
10-01-2003, 09:38 AM
Melissa,

My DD is very squirmy, so we got a rail to put on our bed. I think you can get them at BRU or Target. My DH doesn't come home until about 4am, so I have DD between me and the bedrail until then, and once he joins us, I move her to the middle. I don't know what to tell you about the tummy sleeping, but I know that it got to a point for us when we just couldn't control it anymore...

Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions.

daisymommy
10-01-2003, 11:24 AM
I was going to suggest the bedrail as well. One we really liked was made by DEX and can be found at Target ($29.99) in the baby department. Not only does it have the gripper legs that go under your mattress, but it has a long strap that goes under your mattress, all the way across to the other side, and secures. This keeps the railing from sliding out even an inch, so baby can't get wedged between the mattress and rail. When you are done with it, it all folds up to store in a drawstring pouch (about 12" long). Very handy for when you travel.
We always had Josh sleep between me and our cosleeper, and later a bedrail. DH is such a deep sleeper, we felt safer not having Josh between us.
Good Luck!

nohomama
10-01-2003, 12:25 PM
Like Becky and Amy, I suggest a bedrail. Position Sarah between yourself and the bedrail to prevent her from rolling out of bed. As far as her tummy rolling, you could try placing a body pillow in bed with you to simulate the presence of your husband's body.

zuzu
10-01-2003, 02:08 PM
Thanks so much everyone for your suggestions. I'm glad to hear they make a bedrail that does not allow any space between the rail and the mattress.

It's wonderful to have someplace to turn to ask co-sleeping questions. Many people I know are dead set against it, not only for themselves (which I can understand; it's their choice), but also in general.

Thanks again!
melissa