PDA

View Full Version : She's SO grown up!

egoldber
10-01-2003, 08:51 PM
Sometimes it takes time away to really see your child.

DH and I went away for a long weekend (Wednesday to Monday) and MIL came and watched Sarah. DH and I had a terrific time and the girls (MIL and Sarah :) ) did too. They took "field trips", baked cookies, painted, and started new routines.

But what struck me the most when I came home, I looked at Sarah and realized that she is NOT a baby in any way, shape or form. She is a little girl. For example, her new thing is imitating me. Not just doing what I'm doing (vacuuming or whatever). But I catch her all the time trying to hold her hands the way I hold mine or sitting the way I sit, or holding her head the way I hold mine. I am overwhelmed by the cuteness and at the same time my throat tightens at the awesome responsibility that implies for me.

Out of the blue, she has developed an amazing sense of humor. She "tells" jokes and does funny things to get me to laugh. And she will try to use humor to deter me from "disciplining" her.

Another new "rule" is we have to count steps as we climb them. It's hysterical because she only knows 1, 2 and 3 and not necessarily in that order. So as I count 1-10 (about 100 times a day) up our front steps, she carefully counts out "3, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3.." with as much thought and consideration as any mathematician.

She loves her preschool so much it almost makes me feel inadequate! She runs in the room without a care and has a terrific time babbling at me about all the fun she has when I pick her up. She gives her favorite teacher a big hug when we leave and her new word yesterday (and she doesn't have that many) was "teacher". I am so proud of her for making this transition so smoothly and at the same time, in a small inner part of me, I am almost sorry that she doesn't miss me more and that I am losing my baby!

I don't know what I'm trying to say here, but I just wanted to share the incredible sense of joy, awe and sorrow I have felt all week, watching my little girl get so big.

COElizabeth
10-01-2003, 09:02 PM
Wow, she is changing so much! Just remember that the love and care you have given her and continue to give her are what make it possible for her to be so happy and so ready to take on the next steps in growing up. Her being excited about school shows that you have prepared her well to socialize with other kids and adults and to learn. I don't think she could do any of that half so well if she didn't know with her whole heart that she will always be loved at home.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

mamahill
10-01-2003, 10:10 PM
Elizabeth said it beautifully - you would not have such a friendly, well-adjusted, amazing child were it not for the security she finds in you. She will always be your baby, but it IS kind of scary to see them declaring their independence.

DH and I want another 24 hours to ourselves (leaving her with my parents), but part of me says, "But she's doing so much right now - what if she does something new and I miss it?" Development seems to have hit fast forward and I think a lot of it has to do with her really learning some basic signs (thanks to you!). Although I have enjoyed her milestones thus far, it has only been the last couple weeks that I've thought, "Oh THIS is why people have more kids!"

I love that I got to meet Sarah and witness just how adorable she is, especially since Ainsleigh has followed a lot of Sarah's patterns. The feelings may be bittersweet, but the product is so beautiful!

KimberleyDawn
10-02-2003, 12:00 AM
Beth,
Your post stirred a pot of memories and feelings! You are totally right- parenthood is awesome! Enjoy her everyday and don't kid yourself she'll always be your *baby* even when she's 35.
Kim

cinrein
10-02-2003, 07:29 AM
Beth,

Your post has me all choked up! I totally get how you feel: proud, humbled and sad all at the same time.

Isn't it funny how we want more than anything for our kids to be healthy, confident, and well-adjusted, yet we feel a pang of sadness when they display those very traits as they happily skip off to conquer some new thing? It's like being a teeny bit upset that you got what you wanted. Sarah sounds like a wonderful little girl--and she's still your baby no matter what she masters next.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

smomom
10-02-2003, 08:25 AM
Beth,

Your posting was so sweet and touching. It reminded me of the book "Love You Forever" which tells the beautiful story that no matter how old they are - our babies will still be our babies (and we will also be their mommies). I agree with the others that her happiness and independence is a tribute to your wonderful motherly love and guidance.

I am so glad that Sarah is adapting well to preschool. You have every reason to be proud.

Thanks for sharing with us.

houseof3boys
10-02-2003, 08:55 AM
Beth that got me all teary just hearing about how Sarah is such a little lady! All of that good stuff that is happening with her development is all because she has such a great mommy. :)

nitaghei
10-02-2003, 09:18 AM
Beth,

Thank you so much for posting this. It's wonderful to read about the joys and rewards of being a mom that I can hope to look forward to.

After a horrible night, which ended in a crying jag (for me, not Neel), I was wondering why I wanted to be a mom, and whether I was fit to be a mom. Reading your post really helped me re-focus!

Nita

amp
10-02-2003, 09:39 AM
Beth, that was so touching! My mom always says that if you do your job as a parent right, you work youself right out of a job and they become independent. It's bittersweet, isn't it?! You've obviously done an outstanding job with her.