PDA

View Full Version : Helping those less fortunate this holiday season......

cchavez
10-03-2003, 09:16 AM
I woke up this morning thinking that my family and I are so lucky. DS is very fortunate and I am sure will get more than enough gifts this Christmas. And I got to thinking of my former students. I was a bilingual speech therapist in a preschool setting for 5 years. My students were all lower income but in general they didn't lack for too much in the material sense....granted some of them lived in homes w/ their family and then maybe some other relatives to make ends meet but I did not see much poverty. And I know their parents worked very hard to provide for them but in general they all had food, clothes and toys to play with.

But one student I had a few years ago does stand out in my mind.....her name was Maria. She came to our classroom when she was 3 years old. She had a very significant hearing loss and speech/language and cognition were all very delayed. This little girl was absolutely beautiful but we had so much work to do with her. I remember the first day she literally clawed at me b/c she did not want to be at school but each day we saw progress. WE got her new hearing aids which helped. When she came to us she may have had a vocabulary of 10 words by the end of the semester she had close to 100 and was beginning to sign!!! I loved this little girl and would have seriously considered adopting her. But she did come for a very loving home......

Well, during Summer break I received a phone call from Maria's mother b/c they were going to be evicted from their apartment. Her mother was distraught. I went over to talk to her and to see if their was anything I could do. I had been to their home before but this time it really stuck me how bare bones everything was. Maria and her little brother had maybe 5 toys and they were not in such great condition. My Mom had bought be an inch worm toy at a garage sale and I remember giving that to them and they were so happy! I also went out the next day and bought them a few more toys. It turns out Maria and her family had to move to another town and her new school did not have a bilingual special education program so she was placed in class where she would learn English and sign, which was not an appropriate placement for her and she really regressed....but that is another story.

Anyway, I haven't heard from her family in about a year but the last time last time I talked to her Mom, they were doing better financially.

Anyway, this little girl will always remind me of how fortunate we are...in so many different ways. Every year the staff at my school would adopt a family and I would always get together with the teacher that I worked with to buy my students Christmas gifts....usually books b/c we did find that was the one thing they really did lack. But there was always some way to give back to the community through work especially during the holidays.

But since I no longer work, I need to find another way to give back to those that may have less. However, I am committed to doing this and hopefully my son will learn to do so when he is older.

Just my thoughts........

dogmom
10-03-2003, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the story. My DS birthday is in January and everyone kept saying, even before he was born, how unlucky he was going to be because his birthday was so close to the holidays and he was going to get "cheated." I keep thinking that this is a good thing, maybe I can teach him to be thankful for things besides birthday presents. My husband grew up with very little raised by a single mother. A couple of years when they were doing "well", i.e. had enough money for groceries, she had him pick out some toys for Christmas that they then gave to a family with less than they had. He said he never resented it and was glad his mother had him do it.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

LD92599
10-03-2003, 09:52 AM
For the last few years we've been buying families in town gifts, essentials (diapers!), etc around the holidays through our town "wish tree" program. We started doing this when MIL (whom we haven't seen nor spoken to in 3 years) was so unappreciative of gifts we'd give, asking us to return them etc. So, we no longer waste our $$ on people that could care less but rather spend it on others who don't have what we have and geniuenly (sp?) appreciate what they are receiving.

Laura
mom to William

mharling
10-03-2003, 12:28 PM
Great story Christine. And you are so right.

I'll take this opportunity to plug an organization my mom has been involved with since I was little. It is called The Box Project. You are matched up with a family in need and send them boxes of essentials as well as gifts for birthdays & Christmas throughout the year. You can also be matched up with a family for the holidays only. I decided to do that this year. I got my information packet about the family and it broke my heart to see that they've been waiting to be matched with a 'permanent' family for over a year. I received a copy of a letter that went to them saying 'this is your holiday helper only'. So, I'm going to see how it goes for the holidays and then considering being permanently matched with them. I hope that as Lane gets older, he can become involved in picking out gifts for the kids.

If anyone is interested in this organization, it's website is:
http://www.boxproject.org/

Note that the deadline has passed to sign up to a holiday helper only.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32e1840e40d - New 9/8

Jen841
10-03-2003, 12:58 PM
My group of friends always adopts a family at Christmas and we try to make it a special Christmas for them. We also do the tags from our Church. We learned one year a girl wanted UNDERWEAR for Christmas. Could you imagine having that be your Christmas wish? We have so much to be thankful for!

cchavez
10-03-2003, 01:48 PM
Mary...sounds like a great project. I am going to check it out. Thanks!

elvisfan
10-10-2003, 11:23 PM
I think it's wonderful that so many of us want to help others this holiday season:)