PDA

View Full Version : For ladies who lunch...

MommytoDylan
10-04-2003, 11:02 PM
I am having girlfriends (and their little ones) over for lunch this week and I'm at a loss over what to serve. Dinner meals seem too heavy and deli sandwiches too simple. Do you have a recipe you enjoy making for company?

Thanks for your help!!

jd11365
10-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Fresh chicken salad served in the center of a nicely laid platter of fresh greens and tomatoes...you can use an ice cream scooper to make the cs neat in the middle. Get some fresh bread rolls or baguettes at the bakery for the sandwich option. Or tuna salad with curry and chopped apples to it for a nice twist! Serve similar to the cs. Serve either with tabuli and hummus with pita if you're into that, or pasta salad with chopped marinated artichoke hearts...found in the veggie aisle. Light, easy...yum! A nice dessert to finish it off is a great touch too...a great time to get the 'ol trifle bowl out for death by chocolate!

HTH!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5/1/03

MartiesMom2B
10-05-2003, 04:32 AM
I recently hosted mommy group and I did serve sandwiches. However to spice things up I got cajun turkey breast (well it was on sale too). I made a cucumber,tomato, corn, macaroni salad with a basil dressing that I got from epicurious.com and also I made a yummy lemon pudding cake for desert.

You can dress up deli sandwiches with a fancier sides.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

MartiesMom2B
10-05-2003, 04:35 AM
Jamie:

You must tell me how to make death by chocolate. Sounds sooo good. I guess I need to get a trifle bowl.

I'm seriously considering getting a part time job at Williams-Sonoma. Some people are stroller obsessed, I think I'm becoming kitchen equipment obsessed.

Sonia

lizajane
10-05-2003, 09:04 AM
sonia-
i saw a totally decent trifle bowl at wal mart!

we always have sandhichs at our mommy groups. and it is make your own! we just put the stuff out for everyone to eat when they can (of course, our babies are 6 months and younger...)

what about pasta salad with chicken? grilled chicken salad? you can buy bagged salad or ceaser salad, grill chicken the night before and slice it. buy some rolls for on the side- very easy, but nicer than sandwichs.

mom2kandj
10-05-2003, 10:07 AM
Before kids I worked at W-S part time and "just for the discount"! I got 40% off most things except electrics and sale items ending in 9 cents and then I still got 20% off those things! I worked so few hours(except at Thanksgiving, the holidays, and mothers/fathers day) that my itty bitty paycheck was always going right back to them! :) The discount gets even better...you get the same discount at Pottery Barn, PBK, Hold Everything, and Chambers Linen! (At least you did 18 months ago!) The kitchen equipment obsession can be addictive! Lucky for us, our kitchen is almost stocked and I still have a good friend who picks up stuff for us when DH starts get knife obsessed! If you do get the part time job, the best time of year is late winter/spring as the demand on you won't be as great! HTH!

Rose
mom 2 katie (33 months)
& Jack (16 months)

Tondi G
10-05-2003, 10:57 AM
You could always do a Mozzarella,tomato,basil platter ...drizzle with olive oil and fresh cracked pepper..... serve with sliced baguette.... makes a nice presentation and is yummy! Serve along side a nice chicken or tuna salad and maybe a pasta salad...easy tri colored spirals, italian dressing, red and green peppers and red onion finely chopped... top with a can of drained sliced black olives... yum! You can always do a cheese and crakers platter or a vegi crudite platter with dip!

Good luck... have fun!

~Tondi and Mason (2) and #2 on the way!

Vajrastorm
10-05-2003, 11:19 AM
You get ALL that for working part time at W&S?

Maybe I'd better go fill out an application *drool*

houseof3boys
10-05-2003, 12:15 PM
Great suggestions so far! How about an orzo artichoke pasta salad (so easy) and poached salmon with some kind of light sour cream or yogurt dill sauce? Everything could be cold or room temp so you don't have to worry about actual cooking on that day. I will find recipes if you have an interest.

Off to eat now since this has made me hungry! :P

jd11365
10-06-2003, 05:34 PM
Sonia-
Ha! I don't have a trifle bowl either...but death by chocolate is what my friend always brings and I'm always jealous. I called her for the recipe and felt a bit less in awe as the directions are easy enough for me to make! I will say that it's always a hit no matter what the occasion and people are always so impressed...I think it's the whole trifle bowl thing... ;-)
Here goes...

Make a box of devil's food cake in 2 round pans...cut the cakes to fit the size of the trifle bowl. It's a layered thing so you put down one cake first then top with chocolate mousse...homemade/ready made or mix...then a layer of whipped cream...repeat with another layer of cake, mousse, whipped cream...and top with crushed Heath bar! Deeeelicious...and looks great too!

BTW, she said you can get really impressive and make everyone their own in tall glasses...and you can use chocolate pudding if you need another option for the mousse...

:-)

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5/1/03

MartiesMom2B
10-06-2003, 06:47 PM
Rose:

You still have a discount at those places. My application is downstairs but I think I'm goin to hold off. I'm going to be away the week of Thanksgiving and I'm sure that I won't be hired because of that.

Sonia

Jen841
10-07-2003, 12:58 PM
Here is a good lunch salad that you could add cooked chicken to:

Salad greens (or Spinach)
Blue Cheese
Hearts of Palm
Raspberry vinegrette

Ok, it is REALLY easy, but it is REALLY good. You could put walnuts or pecans in it, and or apple chunks.

Everytime I have served it people rave.

You could skip the chicken and serve a soup with it. I love to serve this salad on a plate with a tea up of soup on it.

jbeamer
10-07-2003, 01:41 PM
I was thinking of hosting a lunch for moms and their little ones also. My question is....do moms bring food for their children or do I provide it. They will be all different ages, so what is the best thing to do? Or do the little ones eat ahead of time? What do you guys usually do?

Jen

MommytoDylan
10-07-2003, 03:47 PM
Thank you all, ladies, for all your wonderful suggestions! I'm excited to try something new!

You are the best!