PDA

View Full Version : Another pay question for child care- please?

cdlamis
10-06-2003, 07:59 PM
I was approached to take care of a 8 month old child for about 15 hours a week. I would love to just have Julia to myself all day but the extra money would help.
How much should I charge if I am taking care of this baby in my own home with no other children besides my own? I plan on asking the parents how much they are thinking of paying but they have admitted to being very new to the "child care" world. I do not know them- just friends of friends.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32dc745c42b

C99
10-06-2003, 09:27 PM
When Nate was born, I was working part-time and asked a friend to watch Nate for me. I paid her $100/week, for 15-20 hours of care. I initially offered her double that amount, since that is what I would have spent to put Nate in commercial daycare, but she wouldn't hear of it. So maybe split it down the middle -- $150/week -- and ask for that? It works out to $10/hour.

lizajane
10-07-2003, 10:05 AM
i am watching an 18 month old in nov and dec while my friend does holiday work. this toddler is SUPER easy, takes naps and is even the same size as my son- so she won't run him down if they try to play together. my friend said she paid another in home child care provider $175/week and asked it that was ok with me. i will watch her from 10-5. so it isn't much/hour. but i am doing it to help my friend, to socialize my child, to test the "two kids" waters, and for the extra cash. so i wasn't too worried about negotiating.

this mom is super easygoing, too. so i know she would expect me to do laundry, unload the dishwasher, vacuum... whatever i was going to do anyway. i know she doesn't expect me to sit on the floor and teach her child how to read or anything over the top! she knows that i will play with both kids and do some light chores.

and i am really excited about going on long walks with them- i have a jogger and a backpack, so i can carry one and stroll the other- with the two dogs walking beside!! we will be a sight to see!