PDA

View Full Version : Firewall help

Calmegja
10-08-2003, 08:05 PM
After wrestling with our DSL for months, and dealing with horrid crashes while running XP, we finally got digital cable internet.

It runs like a top, no more crashes, until we put the security software by McAffee back on...then we start getting crashes, blue death screens, and warnings that our firewall is the cause. DH disables the firewall, no more crashes.

I need a firewall, correct? What do I need to do?

flagger
10-08-2003, 09:43 PM
YES you need a firewall. You could look into ZONE Alarm. It is a pretty userfriendly firewall. There is a free version available at http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/comparison.jsp?lid=pdb_za2

Calmegja
10-09-2003, 06:57 AM
Thanks, Flagger!

dogmom
10-09-2003, 08:45 AM
Oh, besides the firewall you should also consider getting Norton antivirus instead of McAffee. It just isn't as good is what I'm told by people, including my husband, who is in the business. My friend just had to get rid of a virus on her system and that was one of the pieces of advice, get Norton.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

MinnieMouse
10-09-2003, 09:57 AM
My dh is a network geek and we just upgraded to digital cable internet access as well.

Dh was adament about getting not only the cable modem but also a router with a built in firewall. (both the modem and router are by Linksys which is a brand made by Cisco ...the king of all routers for business so I am told).

I will not even pretend to understand all the intricacies of router use, however I believe it was fairly easy to set up. In addition to the router with the built in firewall, we also have Zone Alarm running on the computer as well. Dh is all about not letting anything in.

FWIW we picked up both the modem and router at Best Buy a few wks ago, paid about $200 and are getting about $100 back in rebates. Oh and the router has wireless capability as well...not using it right now...but it was only $20 more and a separate wireless unit started at $60.

We also use Norton's virus software as well, dh doesn't like McAffee's.

If you need any more specifics just yell and I'll get dh to answer them.

HTH

Christine

egoldber
10-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Our system is similar to this. We have the Linksys router with a built in firewall. It was pretty easy to set up. We also route our cable modem through a "server" which is an old computer we have running in the basement. That adds an extra layer of protection. And we also use Norton.

But if you are using either DSL or a cable modem you MUST have a firewall.

Calmegja
10-09-2003, 11:24 AM
Ok, we've got ZoneAlarm running, and I'll DH put Norton back on when he gets home.....

I'll be back if I have more questions after that! Thanks!

flagger
10-09-2003, 12:01 PM
Just a couple of things in layman's terms.

A router is great because it is a hardware based firewall which keeps malicious things from coming in.

Something like Zone Alarm is great as well because not only does it keep thins from coming in, you can lock your computer down and set permissions for things going out to the net.

A virus protection program like Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, etc. is important because of all the viruses that are sent through email. Be sure you regularly update your virus protection software, BTW. My norton probably adds 200-300 new definitions it scans for WEEKLY.

Another program to consider if you are on the net is a program called Ad-Aware. It checks for tracking software on your computer that sends out data about your surfing habits, otherwise known as spyware.

houseof3boys
10-09-2003, 09:11 PM
Ad-Aware (that Flagger mentions) is great! I run that like every 3 days and you would be amazed at all the things that attach themselves from the websites you visit. Here it is if anyone wants it:
http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10214379.html?tag=lst-0-1