PDA

View Full Version : Store Exchange Question

JustMare
10-17-2003, 02:29 PM
I'm wondering how most babystores work regarding exchanges. I'm registered at BuyBuyBaby and BabiesRUs. I know my shower is in 6 weeks, but since this is the end of the year and new patterns/models will be coming out I MIGHT like to exchange somethings for the newest model. Will this be a problem??

I'm going to the BabyExpo next month so I might see loads of stuff not available until after January. Which is fine. Like the convertible carseat, stroller, etc... Somethings I will have in boxes unopened for six to seven months until I need them.

Specifically the new Maclarens. I won't be using mine until I'm finished with the Kolcraft Carseat stroller. Will BuyBuyBaby (where it's being purchased) let me exchange it later on???

Our family is purchasing practically everything for us, so the "hold off until you need it" rule does not apply. I'll have all this stuff in our storage room waiting to be used.

Just curious if anyone has exchanged large items later on (unopened box, same store as purchased/registered) for a newer model?

Thanks,

egoldber
10-17-2003, 03:41 PM
If you have a receipt (or gift receipt) both BBB and BRU have EXTREMELY generous return policies. Without a receipt, their policies are still generous, but with some limits.

I am not sure about BBB, but BRU will not take back an item they no longer stock without a receipt. So if you get a high chair there today, and try to return it in 10 months without a receipt, and they no longer sell that same high chair (different pattern, new tray style, etc.), they may or may not take it back (depending on the store and how strict they are in their policy enforcement).

HTH,

vikivoly
10-17-2003, 03:47 PM
Burlington Coat Factory's Baby Depot only exchanges, it doesn't take returns. I'm not sure, but I think they only have 14 days on the receipt too.

Momof3Labs
10-17-2003, 04:38 PM
Here's another option:

After going to the Baby Expo, if there are things that you think (or know) that you will return when the new models come out, go ahead and do the return now, and then use the credit for the new item once it is available. At least that's what I did at BRU (we don't have a BuyBuyBaby nearby).

Marisa6826
10-17-2003, 04:56 PM
Mare-

I think BBB is 30 days with or without a receipt. If you don't have the receipt and it's unopened, they will still take it, but you can only get a store credit.

BRU is much more generous - there is no time limit. You get their little Geoffrey Card or whatever it's called unless you have your receipt. If you have it, they will give you your method of payment back.

If you can, hold off on registering till you go to the Expo, that way it won't be an issue.

-m

Momof3Labs
10-17-2003, 05:45 PM
Has BRU's policy changed recently? When I registered last year, the policy was 90 days, which is still generous.

egoldber
10-17-2003, 06:43 PM
I have returned things I KNOW more than 6 months afterwards. And I have a friend who has returned things over a year later.

JustMare
10-20-2003, 08:10 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas!

The Baby Faire Expo is November 15th and my baby shower is three weeks later on December 7th. Therefore, registering afterwards would be too late. I know my mom is mailing out the invitations this week. The immediate family has already started making purchases before the invitations have gone out. Those are the people purchasing large items (carseats, PNP, etc...). They are concerned that there's not enought to purchase on the list. I told them it's not like a bridal registry, where everything is expensive. Baby's don't need as much as a new home does. So the family wants to make sure they have gifts and let the distant family get gift cards if there's nothing left. (Our two immediate and not-so-immediate families total 50 women!)

BBB has advised me to remove the Techno stroller from the registry due to the new models arriving in January. I figured I'd rather have a 2004 model anyway. This eliminates my exchange problem.

But I'll definetely return the unwanted stuff for gift cards to use later on for the stroller!

Thanks for your help!