PDA

View Full Version : What wagon to get?

SeekerMage
10-21-2003, 12:34 AM
Which wagon do you have for your little one? Do you like/hate it and why?

We are thinking about asking for a wagon for Angela for Christmas but which one should we get? Im more for the traditional radio flyer wagon....but wasnt sure since there are so many different types out there! What do you all suggest? What do you use yours for and how does it hold up...and how many kids?

mom2kandj
10-21-2003, 02:52 AM
I, too, liked the look of a traditional red Radio Flyer wagon, but was soooo confused by the choices available! If I had my way(when I was looking), I would have spent way too much money on one of the Radio Flyer wagons with wood sides, pads, AT wheels, and a wagon cover. I probably would have even gone overboard and bought a trailer to go with! YIKES!

Alas, we were pleasantly surprised to find a Radio Flyer Discovery Wagon on my doorstep fresh from Amazon.com when I was 8 months pregnant! DH had told his work friends that we didn't really need anything for baby #2, but that I was researching wagons! They loved the idea and rushed to buy one before I could make my decision! For our climate(SoCal - warm year round) and our needs(park and beach), this wagon was a great choice. It is a plastic wagon which is great because it is so easy to hose down, the plastic doesn't get as hot as metal and we don't worry about rusting like the metal wagons. My dad has one at his house and when it is not being used for the grandkids, he uses it for gardening or hauling stuff around his church! It is LARGE enough to hold my two kids and all the stuff that I've overpacked! It can easily hold 3-4 toddlers without them being squished! Being that big, it is difficult to maneuver in tight situations! Lots of three point turns for us! Also, make sure that your wagon choice has RUBBER tires! Rubber gives a much smoother and quieter ride. We do regret that Radio Flyer came out with an AT version of our wagon within 6 months! :(

All in all, we would rate our Radio Flyer Discovery Wagon an 8.5 - 9. Things that I don't like: lack of accessories for that particular wagon(seat/seat belt, wagon cover, pads, etc), and I wish I had the AT tires as they would do much better on sand. HTH!

BTW - here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005KBVH/qid=1066720526/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_9/103-8326610-2215056?v=glance&s=toys

Rose
mom 2 Katie (34 months)
& Jack (18 months)

lukkykatt
10-21-2003, 06:56 AM
We received the Radio Flyer with the wooden sides as a gift, and it has been great. The higher sides make it a little safer, I think.

One thing to think about is if you could store it inside or not. I wouldn't want a metal one to sit outside. Also, I am not sure whether or not the plastic ones have the rubber wheels or not. Those would be my 2 main concerns.

We've had as many as three little ones at a time in ours - we love it!

cara1
10-21-2003, 09:23 AM
We have a Radio Flyer Walker Wagon that DS will sometimes use to push around his Teddybear (or his cheese, whatever he's most in the mood for). But now that he's older (20 mos) he also sits in it and takes off the four wooden sides. It's sort of annoying. We just bought him a big plastic Step 2 Wagon which he loves loves loves. http://www.mtm-kidzstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MK&Product_Code=7902&Category_Code=W
It has two seats, one of which lifts up to store stuff. It also has a little door that opens and closes to get in, but it usually gets stuck, and DS prefers to climb over the side. We can't go into the garage now without him climbing in for a ride!

Tondi G
10-21-2003, 10:48 AM
DS got a red wagon off of ebay when he turned one!!! It has the wooden sides and the big fat AT tires(which I decided I wanted based on user reviews of people who had the standard wheels on a Radio Flyer... too bumpy!)! We loved the look of it and the price was much better than the Radio Flyer in the same style! At that point DS did not want to sit down in the wagon so it has been in his room storing toys ever since! We love the look but it isn't that functional really... maybe when DS gets older... wish we had more room to store it!!!

We just recently went to Toys R Us and Ds wouldn't get out of the step 2 green plastic wagon in the store! He loved that there was a little door to get in and out and cup holders for his sippy cup! We dragged him all over the store in the wagon.... you can't beat the price at around 50 bucks I think??? I wish we had gotten this one rather than the metal red wagon!!!! Heres a link!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000031XDE/qid=1066750434/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-9168465-1550444?v=glance&s=toys&n=507846

Good luck!

~Tondi

KUvsOU
10-21-2003, 01:32 PM
My mom picked up the Step 2 Wagon for Two at a garage sale. Although it is not traditional looking, my son absolutely loves his wagon especially being able to get in and out of the wagon on his own. However, he is not able to open the latch on the door all by himself which is not all bad. I have used this on the sidewalk and pulled my son across the yard without any problems while I was working outside.

I believe most of our neighbors have this wagon. Our next door neighbors have three kids so they use their Step 2 wagon all the time and it appears to be holding up very well; they also have purchased the Step 2 Tag Along Trailer.

Shawna
Mom of Cade 6/16/02