PDA

View Full Version : OT: Protecting Men from Themselves

newbelly2002
10-21-2003, 05:43 AM
How do the men (or non-purse/non-diaper bag carrying women) in your lives carry their cell phone/palm pilot/pagers/other assorted electronic devices? DH shoves everything into either his pants or his jacket (outerwear, not suit) pocket. Besides being aesthetically unappealing, this has now led to TWO broken palm pilots and a busted cell phone. He likes to have both his palm pilot and cell phone with him, but he can be rather careless. They drop out of his pocket when he goes to sit down or sling his jacket over a chair. This "habit" is getting too expensive for our budget.

I'd love to hear what solutions others have. Please?

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

AngelaS
10-21-2003, 06:01 AM
Dh's cell phone clips on to his belt. His palm fits into his shirt pocket. This is only a problem when he bends over---he's broken one PP....sigh....

There's always the briefcase or attache bag.... LOL

lukkykatt
10-21-2003, 06:36 AM
DH does the same thing. But he's had to chase down both the cell phone and the palm on two separate occasions - he left them behind on restaraunt tables :P

egoldber
10-21-2003, 06:55 AM
DH does carry a bag, a Timbuk2 messenger bag. On weekends, he just puts the cellphone in his pocket.

The thing he has that I HATE is his Blackeberry. That ^%&^%^$ thing is always beeping away with new e-mail. On weekends, he usually leaves it in the car.

HTH,

smilequeen
10-21-2003, 08:04 AM
My dh had to buy one of the Treo phones...palm pilot and cell phone in one so he would not have so much to carry around. So he puts his phone and his wallet in his pocket, and clips his pager for work to his belt. It did however result in one lost early palm pilot and the treo phone breaking (although when we took it in they said it was more a problem in the design and gave him a new one).

JustMare
10-21-2003, 10:49 AM
While he's working, his cellphone is attached to a belt clip and everything else is in assorted pockets.

On weekends, everything's in MY handbag!! His keys, wallet, digital camera, palm pilot, etc...

I guess he's preparing me for motherhood and shleping everyone's stuff around! :)

Marisa6826
10-21-2003, 11:05 AM
Jonathan has a sling bag from eBags he keeps his Palm, miscellaneous crap and cell phone in.

On the weekends, he doesn't carry either with him. Everybody calls us on MY cellphone.

-m

C99
10-21-2003, 01:03 PM
He keeps his PDA in his laptop bag and his keys and cell phone in the pockets of his pants.

jmofarrill
10-21-2003, 01:07 PM
Dh clips both his cell phone and his Palm onto his belt. He thinks it makes him look "techno savvy". He ordered a case for the palm that allows him to slip the palm in and out w/o taking the case off his belt. He's only broken one pouch so far... Other than that, he stuffs his pockets with a money clip with a small section for cards, keys, pens and markers, coins, and Visine (don't ask).

malisa
10-21-2003, 01:19 PM
This is too funny. I thought my dh was the only idiot (I really do love the guy) to break 2 palm pilots. He is not allowed to buy a third yet, he dropped his first one on the pavement, and he also dropped the second one--only to back the car over it and crush it to smithereens.

So, he's down to just his cell phone and his Costanza-like wallet. He just carries his cell phone in his pants' pocket (which also falls out and hits the ground on occassion--he's on his second cell phone in the last 10 months). But, since he doesn't have a pp anymore, he sets his cell phone alarm for EVERYTHING. I swear it goes off 10 times every evening--of course waking the baby. I've threatened to seriously throw it away if he doesn't turn the stupid ringer down. Which reminds me, he also mysteriously "lost" a cell phone 18 mos ago.

OK, as I've typed this out, I realize how much money he's wasted in the last two years on this stuff. I think this calls for some sort of shopping expenditure on my part...

I realize this was more venting than help. Sorry.

Malisa
mom to Isabella 11-9-02

newbelly2002
10-21-2003, 03:36 PM
Not at all! It's of great help to hear that DH is not the only one. The first PP hit the pavement; the second was hit by the turnstyle in his pocket as he was pushing the stroller through the aisles.

So I guess we're doomed to buying another and living with the bulging pockets? At least I know we're not alone.

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

parkersmama
10-21-2003, 04:53 PM
I guess I'm the fortunate one! Finally, something my dh does right!!! LOL! Craig has a cell phone/PP combo from Sprint (Samsung). It's terrific...that thing is whiz-bang! He wears it on his belt in a little protective pouch sort of thing. I also think he's found a good wallet solution. I guess he got tired of sitting on a big wallet full of useless crap so he switched to a money clip wallet...it's small with a pocket that holds a stack of about 6 cards (driver's license, credit cards, atm, and insurance card) and a magnetic clip to hold folded paper money. He keeps it in his front pocket. He rarely asks me to hold either of these items (it's actually more likely that I force him to hold something for me!).

Now, let's talk sunglasses on the other hand...I refuse to buy him any that cost more than $15 since he breaks or loses several pairs each year!!

Marisa6826
10-21-2003, 06:14 PM
I don't know about the other Daddys but the other toy (and it damn well better not break) is the iPod.

Jonathan's also really pushing HARD for the new 15" Powerbook. Good thing there's something wrong with the screens right now. }(

At least my next new toy is a kitchen! :P

-m

new_mommy25
10-21-2003, 06:54 PM
Lol, my husband actually does carry a bag. It's a backpack from old navy that slings over the chest. However the only thing in there is a discman and a million cds, and crumpled piles of old recipts. (he commutes to work downtown on the bus). He carries his cell phone in his jacket, but his has a pocket that zippers shut on the inside. He has never broken a cell phone. On the contary I am the evil one. I've broken several in numerous ways. Dropping out of an unzippered purse while bending over, forgetting it's in my pocket while wading at the beach etc. Lol. What bothers me about DH is is wallet, which he keeps shoved in his pocket. He has a "George Kastanza" wallet. If any of you watch Seinfeld you know what I mean.