PDA

View Full Version : Group B Strep + Moms

sbirmantaz
10-22-2003, 08:05 PM
Hi there, I was just found out that I am Group B Strep pos for this pregnancy. This is my 2nd baby and I was - before. Does anyone know if once you are positive do they treat you with antibiotics for all future pregnancies just in case? It is a strange test I think. I couldn't find a lot of info on it, just on how they treat you in labor. But, my md said the test result is good for 5 1/2 weeks, but what if you test - at 37 weeks and then was + at 40 weeks but they didn't know since they only test once? Strange, maybe because the colonization wouldn't be big enough to affect the baby then? Anyone have more info? Also, if you have had the antibiotics, did you have any yeast problems afterwards? I had a very painful nursing experience with dd #1 (even though she really was latched properly) and I am worried that the antibiotics may lead to nipple thrush? Should I be worried? Thanks!!

sweetbasil
10-22-2003, 08:15 PM
>Does anyone know if once you are positive do they treat you
>with antibiotics for all future pregnancies just in case?

I think it depends on your doc...my OB doesn't retest and just takes the same precautions with subsequent deliveries. He told me back in June that a medical journal recently said you didn't have to treat with antibiotics in future pregnancies, but he wanted to be safe. Plus, I was having a second c-section, so I would've gotten the drugs anyway ;)

Also, I had no problems with antibiotics that were administered during delivery causing thrush or nursing problems with either son....

Good luck!

peanut4us
10-22-2003, 08:19 PM
My OB actually does the test when you go for your first visit in the 1st trimester. I was positive, so I had antibiotics in the hospital. I didn't realize that most folks are tested at the end of their pregnancy.

MartiesMom2B
10-22-2003, 09:28 PM
Yeah I had my test done towards the end. When I told DH that I tested positive he thought it was a veneral disease and said "Oh great, that means I have that too" I should've told him that he had to go to the doctor to get it checked out. LOL. I'm so wicked.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

chrissyhowie
10-22-2003, 09:29 PM
Being a carrier for Group B Strep (GBS) means that your intestinal or urinary tract is colonized with bacteria but it does not make you sick. The risk of a baby developing infection from a carrier mom is <1%, but because a small percentage of these babies who do get infected will have serious sequelae, universal screening is now recommended. GBS colonization is often transient so you should be screened, just as any pregnant woman, at 35-37 weeks for any future pregnancies and be treated according to the results from that pregnancy itself. Only two groups of moms do not need the GBS screen in the third trimester: 1)those who have a urine culture positive for GBS at any point during the pregnancy or 2)moms with a previous child born with early onset GBS infection. These moms automatically get antibiotics during labor so no need to so the swab test.

Antibiotics tend to cause yeast infections in some people because they alter the balance of the normal bacteria and yeast that usually resides in harmony together in us. The antibiotics wipe out some of the normal bacteria too, sometimes allowing the yeast to grow out of check. Eating yogurt with live active cultures can help as it will help replete the "good" bacteria in your intestinal tract and discourage yeast growth.

Here's a link to a previous post about people's experiences when GBS positive:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=31344&mesg_id=31344&listing_type=search#31354
(I plagiarized some of the info from my previous post for what I wrote above :))

HTH,

COElizabeth
10-23-2003, 09:03 AM
I am pretty sure I had IV antibiotics right after delivery for a different reason, and they did not cause any thrush problems.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

sbirmantaz
10-23-2003, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the responses. I hope that they can get the iv in better than last time I was in labor! I am dreading it. Thanks again

COElizabeth
10-23-2003, 01:04 PM
I hear you! It took a few tries to get my IV in, and then it was finally placed in a vein on the back of my hand (pretty inconvenient for nursing, washing hands, etc.). Every doctor or nurse who saw it would say, "What an awful place for an IV!" I know - thanks! They left it in forever, too, because they didn't know whether I would need an anti-seizure drug. Thank goodness I didn't, and they finally removed the thing. I hope yours goes in first try and is no problem this time!!!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02