PDA

View Full Version : OT: best place to get an artificial Christmas tree

cchavez
10-23-2003, 05:03 PM
We want an at least a 9 foot pre-lit tree. I think my DH actually wants a 12 footer.
I saw some today at Garden Ridge that were nice but how do I find out about the quality???

We were going to buy one at a seasonal Christmas shop last year but they were sold out of the ones we wanted.

Are the trees at a specialty shop better than the ones at Target, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc?

TIA!

amyff
10-23-2003, 05:07 PM
Hi,
I am a "real tree" kind of gal...but the ones I just saw at Costco almost changed my mind. They were really nice with the lights attached (how lovely would that be)! Didn't see the price...might want to check Costco.com.
Amy and Ava (12/20/02)

PS. I just read in a previous post that you are an SLP... /mi tu/! Are you currently working?

cchavez
10-23-2003, 05:28 PM
I forgot to post that we usually get real trees but w/ DS I think all the needles would cause a problem.

Fortunately, I SAHM for now. What about you? What population do you/did you work with?

amyff
10-23-2003, 05:52 PM
I work about 16 hours a week with 3-5 year olds (Head Start and Special Ed Preschool). How about you? What population did you work with?

cchavez
10-23-2003, 06:01 PM
Wow! I worked w/ special preschool too! I worked w/ Spanish-speaking students in a classroom based setting. It was me and a special education teacher. Next to being a Mom, it is the 2nd most rewarding job there is!

How old is your baby?

amyff
10-23-2003, 06:17 PM
Your former position sounds so much like mine! My daughter, Ava, is 10 months old. I love my job and it gives DH (he stays home with her in the a.m.) an opportunity to bond with her.

I have a funny ESL-preschool story. When I was in grad school I had to help evaluate a Spanish speaking 3 year old and I did not speak even a word of Spanish. I was told to play with the child while my friend took a lang. sample. Throughout the evaluation, the little boy kept pointing to his shoes and saying "patos" and I kept saying "those are called shoes"...he pointed to water and said it in Spanish (sounded like "awa")...I responded with "that is water...ahhgoowa". He pointed to the stove and said hot in spanish and I said "that is called a stove". I just thought he was unintelligible. I could hear my Spanish-speaking girlfriend laughing from behind the 2 way mirror. If the parents would have been able to understand English they would not have been impressed.

etwahl
10-23-2003, 08:34 PM
i just went to the costco site because i wanted to check for the trees to find you the link (i've seen them in years previous and they are beautiful). we have had a fake tree the last couple years, although we have decided to start getting a real one from now on.

i looked at the costco site for the tree and read this disclaimer at the bottom:

WARNING: This product contains lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash your hands after handling.

i had no idea!

edited to say the link didn't work because it's frames, but if you go to costco.com, then home and gifts, there's a section at the top for trees.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

cchavez
10-23-2003, 08:49 PM
Thanks. I guess we will have to look for a lead-free tree or go w/ a real one.

JustMare
10-24-2003, 01:52 PM
I got a beautiful prelit tree last year from Target for $99. I can't recall the height of it, it's got to be around 9 ft.

I looked everywhere for one and liked Targets the best. The ones at my Costco and BJs didn't look as full as Targets. Harrows and other seasonal stores were too expensive asking at least $299 or better.

cchavez
10-24-2003, 02:31 PM
From what I recall we were going to pay 300-400 last year at the seasonal store. The ones I liked yesterday at GardenRidge were $300+ but they were 25% off. But I was wondering about the quality???

houseof3boys
11-03-2003, 10:11 PM
Christine - Did you ever get one of these from Garden Ridge or Costco? DH and I looked at Michaels yesterday at the artificial trees (never had one before) and I wondered where to look next?

TIA

starrynight
11-04-2003, 12:40 AM
FYI~ it's the lights in the pre-lits that contain the lead, not the artificial tree itself. All light sets say that if you read the fine print on the box, after talking to the doctor he said it's a very tiny amount so it's not a big deal. Generally kids don't put the lights up themselves or chew on them so as long as you wash your hands after handling the light sets it's not a problem.

cchavez
11-04-2003, 08:38 AM
We actually went to a few Christmas stores on Sunday. I think we will wind up w/ one from there. As long as they don't run out, which is what happened to us last year!! The first store we went to the trees we liked ran around 700.00+....to much $$$!!!
But the 2nd store we liked one that was on sale for 499.00, it looks so real. It is 9ft but DH would prefer 10ft....and those aren't in yet.

We went to SAm's too and did not like the trees there. The ones are GardenRidge were pretty nice. hth

peanut4us
11-04-2003, 02:14 PM
i saw some pretty ones at Home Depot for not too much.

brubeck
11-07-2003, 08:05 PM
If anyone is interested, I just got a coupon today in the mail from Target. It's for $20 off any artificial tree 7' or taller.

I won't be using it so anyone who wants it can email me.