PDA

View Full Version : Ebay sellers- how do you ship?

cdlamis
10-25-2003, 02:00 PM
I am starting to sell ietms on e-bay and am completely clueless on the easiest, cheapest way to ship.

Before Ebay, I used to take my packages to the closest "Mail 'n' more", have them box it up and send it UPS. I assume this is the most expensive choice.

Here are my questions:
*Do you ship via UPS, Fed Ex, or USPS? Do you go to a retail location or post office? Or do you have UPS come a pick up?
*Do you buy boxes and packing materials ahead of time to package every thing at home?
*How do you find out the shipping cost to tell a potentail buyer without having to bring the package to a post office to be weighed?
*Besides actual shipping cost, what else do you add on to determine total shipping/handling?

Thanks! I would appreciate any help here! I am clueless!

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32dc745c42b

jd11365
10-25-2003, 07:11 PM
Unless you take it to UPS or Fed Ex, you will pay a surcharge...even if you bring it to an authorized location...these are private businesses who charge for the convenience even if they don't pack the box. I've just taken it to the PO because it's just up the road from me. You would add what you think it's worth in gas/milage/time to get to your mailing location as handling. There is a shipping calculator you can use on Ebay as you are setting up your sale...it's a link to the right of where you would type in what you want to charge for s/h I believe. TBH, I usually give a glance at what the other people are charging for s/h to make sure I'm in the ballpark. I've only sold a few times, so I'm nowhere near a pro at this...I know I'm usually doing something wrong, but this is just what I've learned so far...

HTH!

Jamie :-)
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

stillplayswithbarbies
10-25-2003, 07:48 PM
I prefer to ship by USPS Priority mail because then I can get boxes for free. They have some in the post office, but I get mine online at www.usps.com (look for supplies). They ship them right to your house. I also use their site to print my shipping labels so that I can get free delivery confirmation.

I pack it up and weigh it at home. We have a scale that goes up to 10 pounds that my husband uses in his hobby (model rockets) so I can weigh most things. Bigger things, I take to the post office and have them weigh it, or I get on the scale with it and then without it and subtract the difference. That is usually close enough to estimate for heavy things.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

AngelaS
10-26-2003, 04:40 PM
Once you eBay for a while, you become a good guesser at how much it'll cost to ship something. Anything over 13 oz must go either Parcel Post or Priority.

I like to ship Priority 'cause then I can use the free tyvek envelopes from usps.com. I buy plain tyvek envelopes for about a quarter each from Staples or elsewhere.

If you're going to do a lot of shipping, invest in a scale and become friend with your post office employees. :D

cdlamis
10-26-2003, 07:26 PM
One more question, what is the best box to get from USPS to ship children's shoes?
Thanks!
Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32dc745c42b

stillplayswithbarbies
10-26-2003, 08:42 PM
how about this one? It's a cube, 7x7x6

http://tinyurl.com/sgw9

the best boxes are under the "business supplies". Your post office might have this one, or be willing to order you some. Or you can order them for free yourself, but there is a minimum of 25.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03