PDA

View Full Version : Flying with DS... any tips?

brigmaman
10-27-2003, 11:40 AM
Hi, I have never posted here before. I am a semi-SAHM from the east end of Long Island. My ds is almost 15 months old and a lot of fun/work! A friend mentioned that she frequents this board, so I thought I would check it out! From reading a few posts, I can see there that you are all very knowledgeable. So my question is... I am planning to fly with my ds in April. He will be about 20 months at that point. The flight is NY to Florida so it will be a little over 2 hours long. Do I buy a seat for him or hold him on my lap? I will be flying with other members of my family, but not my dh. If I do purchase a seat for him, do I use his carseat? This may all be unimportant since I have not ruled out the option of driving down. (lol... we can't even make it the hour drive to BRU without some sort of crying drama!)
Look forward to any advice. Thanks.

Andrea S
10-27-2003, 12:11 PM
I would buy him a seat and bring the car seat. I have flown with Andrew a lot and the worst trip I had was when he did not have his own seat. I know they are safer in their own seat too. When Andrew is in his car seat on the plane he know he can not get up and I can entertain him. Some recommendations that I have gotten from people is to put a couple of his favorite small toys and books away before the trip and then bring them out on the plane.

If you do a search there are a lot of posts on flying.

Edited to add: A toy people have raved about for travel is the travel size magna doodle. I am going to get one for Andrew for our upcoming flight to Georgia.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

mharling
10-27-2003, 01:12 PM
I agree with everything Andrea said. Also, the best thing to do when traveling with a child is to be organized, pack lightly, be patient and allow plenty of time!

I also want to comment on your son's name. I have a cousin named Brigham (who goes by Brig) but haven't seen the name otherwise. I like it a lot!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3524e54e42d - New 10/3

stillplayswithbarbies
10-27-2003, 02:08 PM
Definitely get him a seat and use the car seat. Most airlines charge half price for babies under 2.

He is safer in the carseat, and you will be more comfortable as well.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

brigmaman
10-27-2003, 10:18 PM
Thanks for all of your advice. I am now planning to purchase an airline seat for Brig and will bring my carseat. It weighs a ton (Evenflo Triumph) but I will figure something out.
I actually anticipated replies saying to hold him on lap! A friend of our family has actually been lobbying for a law regarding children and child restraints on planes. I have heard bits and pieces of her concerns and now I have real life advice to back up her opinion.
Mary, I love Brig's name. I love to hear of others! I have only met a boy with Brigham as his middle name. Lane is beautiful as well. I had a little girl with the name Olivia Lane in a summer program I taught a few summers ago. Her family called her Lane.
Thanks again...

mharling
10-28-2003, 12:27 AM
Thanks!! Lane is a family name (and actually Brig's middle name). I had never heard it as a girl's name until we learned a nurse at our ped's office has a daughter named Laine. And now another one!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3524e54e42d - New 10/3

jd11365
10-28-2003, 09:27 AM
TAKE JET BLUE!!!! Flights to and from NY/FL are so cheap, and there are televisions to help keep the little one occupied for the 2.5 hr flight!

Jamie :-)
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

bjiang
10-28-2003, 10:42 AM
I flew with my 20 month DD without buying a seat for her from Texas to Italy last month. On the way there, the flights were full and I held her the entire way. On the way back, the flight was not completely booked so she had her own seat. She napped better when we had an extra seat. However, I didn't think it was worth $900 and I was glad I didn't buy a seat for her.

If you can afford it, I say buy a seat. If not, it won't be too bad either, since the flight is short and you will have other family member with you.