PDA

View Full Version : Where to get the Signing Times DVDs

jojo2324
10-27-2003, 02:55 PM
I saw that a couple of people were looking for these (Tammy and Chrisine). Here's a site; the 3-pack is available for $47 and there's free shipping! They were at my doorstep within a few days.

http://www.mommysthinkin.com/baby_sign_language_signing_time.htm

Momof3Labs
10-27-2003, 02:59 PM
This is where I ordered ours, too, and they were here very quickly (partly because she lives in Illinois, I'll admit)! I just wish that she carried the CD!

cchavez
10-27-2003, 03:07 PM
Thanks!!!

cchavez
10-27-2003, 03:07 PM
Thanks!!!

khakismom
10-27-2003, 03:26 PM
These DVDs/videos are so popular--I have a question. :) I'm curious why someone would spend $50 on the signing DVDs when you can buy a book on signing with your baby for about $12 (which is what I did with Kathleen) and sit down with them, rather than have them look at a TV? And I'm curous to what the difference is between a book and video (because the book gives more signs that the Web site lists are on the videos).

I'm really intrigued by the videos and wanted to see what they were really about? TIA! :)

jojo2324
10-27-2003, 04:21 PM
Hi Maureen!

Gannon isn't catching on to the signs just yet, like I said in another thread. I do have some books, but he won't sit with me to look at them. He prefers to look at books on his own and make his "reading" noises. And that goes for all books. Or any time I want him to sit with me. :)

I've heard from a few people here that their children wouldn't sign, or weren't signing as much, with just the books. Once the use of the video came into play, signs started coming rapidly.

Gannon does like watching them. I've also noticed differences in signs between the books and the DVDs. I guess it's harder to translate the sign offered by ST for ball or more through a photo, so they (the books) use signs that are more "still" friendly? Don't know if that makes sense, just something I noticed.

cdlamis
10-27-2003, 04:31 PM
I bought the book/kit when I first started signing with Julia at 6 months and did fine with that. It teaches the basics of signing and the reasons behind it.

The videos are a great addition to parents signing with their babies. Almost all babies watch videos (Einstein, etc) once in a while. To me, these are more fun to watch and reinforce what I am already teaching her. If she's going to watch TV, I'd rather her watch this where she is learning a different language. Now she actually prefers her ST videos over anything on TV.

One thing I noticed is that I have even learned the signs faster by watching the videos! I probably knew all the signs on all 3 videos in about a week. Yet, I have a chart of the same signs in my bathroom and still didn't know all of those!

PS- My husband stayed home from work today and watched his first ST video. About an hour later, I heard him sing "It's signing time with Alex and Leah"!

HTH-

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32dc745c42b

jojo2324
10-27-2003, 04:35 PM
LOL, I just came back to post something similar. I know most of the signs on the first DVD (the only one we've watched so far), and got them down pretty quickly, after only one or two viewings. And the song does get stuck in your head! :D

egoldber
10-27-2003, 08:12 PM
The Signing Time videos are more like a Baby Mozart type thing, rather than a "how to sign" video. It has fun songs, images of children signing (which Sarah ADORES) and lots of other images that appeal to children. These videos are for the kids, not for the parents.

Most of the other videos out there are for the parents and "teach" you how to sign with your baby and show you several signs. I don't recommend buying any of those videos, since you'd only watch them once, but the ST videos are just fun! I think that's why they work. The babies aren't being "taught", they're just having fun. Sarah asks for these videos over and over, they are definitely among her favs.

lisams
10-27-2003, 10:46 PM
My DD also loves watching the other kids sign! I enjoy sitting with her while she watches it, and I'll sign with her or sing. I think there's something different between seeing a sign in still (book) and in motion (video). For me it's easier for me to see the action than to look at a picture.

Lisa

egoldber
10-27-2003, 11:16 PM
The other thing I find helpful is seeing how other children "modify" signs. Babies and toddlers don't have the fine motor skills to make signs perfectly when they are just starting. So seeing how other kids do it can help you recognize when your child is actually signing back to you!