PDA

View Full Version : Junior League Anyone?

elvisfan
10-27-2003, 03:27 PM
A friend has suggested thst I join the local Junior League. I know a bit about the League but was curious to know if anyone out there belonged to one and, if so, what being a member was like......TIA

ddmarsh
10-27-2003, 03:41 PM
I am a member and actually may end up being Vice-President next year (but that's a whole 'nother story :)). While I do enjoy many things about it and I feel like they really are involved in some very high achieving and interesting projects (for example mine here started a supervised visitation center for parents who are not allowed to see their children alone and is currently working on a children's museum), you should be prepared for the money aspect. My dues are about $160 a year and then you are called upon quite often for other things - little things here and there but they really add up. I have talked to some friends that are also in it and we feel similarly - the League needs to spend more focus going outside of League members for support in many things. Calenders, cookbooks, etc. are things I'm referring to and while technically you don't have to buy them there is sort of an expectation.

Good luck -

elvisfan
10-27-2003, 03:45 PM
>I am a member and actually may end up being Vice-President
>next year (but that's a whole 'nother story :)). While I do
>enjoy many things about it and I feel like they really are
>involved in some very high achieving and interesting projects
>(for example mine here started a supervised visitation center
>for parents who are not allowed to see their children alone
>and is currently working on a children's museum), you should
>be prepared for the money aspect. My dues are about $160 a
>year and then you are called upon quite often for other things
>- little things here and there but they really add up. I have
>talked to some friends that are also in it and we feel
>similarly - the League needs to spend more focus going outside
>of League members for support in many things. Calenders,
>cookbooks, etc. are things I'm referring to and while
>technically you don't have to buy them there is sort of an
>expectation.
>
>Good luck -
>
>
Hi Debbie. Ohhhhhhhh yeah, I've heard about the money aspect of it. At first I thought it was odd that I would have to pay dues to volunteer.....but if that's the way it is, so be it. Luckily, my great aunt will pay my dues as my bday gift this year:)

Zansu
10-27-2003, 04:34 PM
Junior Leagues vary from city to city. Some are huge, some are still "white glove", some are SAHM-heavy, some are DINK-heavy. It really depends on your area and the current members of the League. There also may be a huge unseen influence from the sustaining (older, non-active) members.

Based on knowledge of my League (Tucson) and my SIL (Dallas), you should be prepared to pay a provisional fee, which will cover your training period (could be a few months, could be a year). There may also be a provisional project, which would require you to find dorors or pay yourself. Once you are an active member, you will have annual dues (part of which goes to the AJLI) and a financial obligation to either buy stuff or sell stuff for the fundraisers. The best known JL fundraisers are cookbooks, but there are also gift markets, rummage sales, chi chi luncheons or gala dinners.

However, there are usually ways to work off your financial commitments, other than dues. Every League handles this differently.

The thing to remember is that JL is NOT a fundraising organization. It is a TRAINING organization that raises funds to support its training. If the League in your area stresses fund raising above all else, you may want to look into other groups. However, JL is a great way to meet other women, to learn more about your community and to become a better trained, more knowledgable volunteer.

HTH