PDA

View Full Version : Pediatrician Woes

C99
10-27-2003, 11:52 PM
I posted this in the Baby 411 forum, but thought it might get a little more traffic if I mentioned it here as well. Any thoughts?
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=65&topic_id=18&mesg_id=18&page=

Momof3Labs
10-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Wanna drive out to Vernon Hills? I can recommend a great practice up here LOL!

em_jon98
10-28-2003, 11:10 AM
Well...we are a little in the same boat here. I liked the doctors in our practice, until the one we see for checkups: 1) Tried to get me to turn Lindsey's carseat FF exactly at a year (because "she SOCIALLY won't tolerate being rear facing"), and then 2) Gave us a ton of attitude because we wanted to delay the chicken pox vaccine (she made it sound like we were going to get thrown out of day care--for pete's sake, it's required to start KINDERGARTEN, not to be in day care at 12 months).

That being said, I have not found a new doc yet because we like the nurses and the office is convienent. I feel like a good nursing staff is crucial because they often spend more time with us than the doctors do. But, I think you ultimately have to trust and feel very comfortable with the doctor.

I know some people in the city with kids. If you decide you need some suggestions, LMK and I will find out who they use.

egoldber
10-28-2003, 02:49 PM
Well, if you don't have docs you really like there, then I would switch. While nurses are great for questions, if (heaven forbid) you have an issue, a doc is the one you'll be dealing with.

I wouldn't worry about Nate being used to that practice. He's young enough that he won't even remember being there the next time he goes!

But since your practice does have some good qualities, I would make sure to have a good recommendation before switching.

My practice is really large, around 10 peds. Of these, I have seen around 8 and liked all but 1 of them. With a large practice, you can at least shop around within the practice a bit. I have a couple favorites, but I can pretty much guarantee that a doctor I like somewhat will be available.

HTH,

momathome
10-28-2003, 09:19 PM
I am in nearly the exact same boat as you and literally just switched pediatricians today. In our old practice, it was 2 men and a woman. The woman was absolutely wonderful and my girls loved her but she is having her first baby in 4 weeks and will be on maternity leave until March and then returning on a restricted schedule. The 2 men in the practice are, IMO, lousy. I met a new pediatrician today who came highly recomended and has all of the same wonderful extended hours as the last practice. I am happy to be switching. Good luck in your search!
-Lauren