PDA

View Full Version : OT- how much Halloween Candy do you give?

cdlamis
10-28-2003, 04:40 PM
I know this is a weird question but I am curious. How many pieces of Halloween candy do you give per child?

I normally give 2 pieces- one big and one small. To me, "big" is a mini candy bar and "small" is a hard candy.

What do you do?

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32dc745c42b

elvisfan
10-28-2003, 04:57 PM
One piece per customer:)

farsk
10-28-2003, 04:59 PM
Daniella,

Before we bought our first house (this will be our first Halloween there...yippee!), I bought bag fulls of "the good stuff" (chocolate candy). And then....there were virtually no trick-or-treaters! So they got handfulls!

This year, I'm hoping for more t-o-t'ers, so they will get two mini candy bars....depending on how fast they're coming!

Good Luck!
-Shannon
Mom to Ellen 7/23/2003 (Mermaid for Halloween!)

bluej
10-28-2003, 05:00 PM
My older kids have started bagging the candy in those ziploc halloween themed baggies (a very unnecessary added expense, but they love to do it, so it's worth it). They just did them last night and they decided on one mini candy bar, a little box of nerds, a laffy taffy and a couple of tootsie rolls. I think it's probably a bit much, considering that the entire neighborhood hands out candy, but DH wants us to be the house that all of the kids like to come trick-or-treating to (can you tell he has popularity issues?).

egoldber
10-28-2003, 05:02 PM
Everybody gets two, whichever two I grab first. As the evening goes on and if I have a lot left, I am more generous!

etwahl
10-28-2003, 05:07 PM
i don't think we'll get many, if any, trick or treaters at our new house :( but at our old house, evan used to give out a handful to each kid...i kept saying "too much, too much"...but he just kept telling me not to be cheap! actually, i think he just didn't want to have leftovers and then we'd be "forced" to eat it.

my former boyfriend's father used to go to costco, buy all normal (full) sizes of everything, and make up brown paper bags (lunch bag size) - one bag per kid. in it was typically two full-sized chocolate bars, pack of gum, lifesavers, licorice, starburst etc. ALL sorts of full sized candy. i swear each bag was worth a fortune. he made up about 200 bags each year. granted he had a lot of money, BUT holy cow!!! let me tell you, i went to his house for halloween each year. i'm assuming every other kid in the neighborhood did too. for some reason, they just got a thrill from halloween. i think they ended up "selling out" pretty early each year and had to shut their lights off. if there had been someone like that at halloween when i was a kid, i'd have been in heaven :)

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Momof3Labs
10-28-2003, 05:10 PM
We did three apiece this year (trick-or-treating was last Sunday) and I always let the kids pick what they want out of the bag. But I don't buy the chocolate (because 1. it probably won't make it to Halloween and 2. if it does, I don't want the leftovers in the house and therefore on my hips) - this year I got a big bag of Tootsie roll type stuff (big Tootsie Rolls, Tootsie pops, etc) and a big bag of Willie Wonka stuff (Nerds, Laffy Taffy, etc).

nathansmom
10-28-2003, 05:29 PM
Last year I gave out King sized candy bars.

This year we are doing hotdogs, hot cocoa, and candy. Might be a little much but I love trick or treaters.

cdlamis
10-28-2003, 05:39 PM
Lori-
I am curiuos. Did your whole town do Halloween on Sunday or did you go to a festival?

Where I live, we never have halloween on any other day but th 31st so I am curiuos to see how others do it.

Sorry to be nosy!
Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32dc745c42b

Momof3Labs
10-28-2003, 05:42 PM
You aren't being nosy! Our whole town does trick-or-treating on the Sunday before Halloween, from 1-4pm. It's nice because it is light outside, and most people are home (or make a point to be home, without having to take time off of work). The local mall does t-o-t on Halloween itself, so there are still ways for kids to play on that day!

khakismom
10-28-2003, 07:11 PM
I give around 2-3 depending on how fast they're coming. :) I live in Kansas City, which is where Russell Stover lived (and where the company is headquartered). When I was a kid, we used to TOT at his house and the doorman would hand out--no lie--a 1 lb. box of chocolates to each kid! Talk about candy nirvana! }(

mharling
10-29-2003, 12:38 AM
I bet the kids love coming to your house!!! Just curious, do you invite them in to eat? I'm not picturing the logistics. But I think that's awesome!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3524e54e42d - New 10/3

nathansmom
10-29-2003, 10:39 AM
The kids LOVE our house. I swear some of them came back a couple of times last year.

We are planning on rolling the grill out to the front yard and serving dogs and cocoa from there. Someone gave me an idea thats too late to do this year but next year I think I'll do it. Instead of moving the grill to the front yard I'll leave it in the back and create a maze from cornstalks for the kids to walk through on the way to the backyard.

starrynight
10-29-2003, 11:12 AM
Last year we bought reeses pb cups and gave one per kid. We were out pretty fast because my neighborhood is "kidville" lol. We aren't really giving it out this year, just to the kids on my street, then we are going off post to a larger neighborhood because last year almost no one was home to t-o-t to because everyone has kids and not too many had anyone at home giving it out.

Jen in Chicago
10-29-2003, 11:13 AM
We don't get trick or treaters in our condo. I grew up giving packs of gum. My Mom would buy those sleeves of 10 packages and that is what they would give every year. It was such a treat to get a full pack!

mharling
10-29-2003, 12:00 PM
Can we come trick-or-treating at your house next year??? :)

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3524e54e42d - New 10/3

nathansmom
10-29-2003, 04:05 PM
Mary and Lane-
Nathan and I would be honored if you came trick or treating at our house. We'd love to have you here.

s7714
10-30-2003, 12:09 AM
I usually give out two pieces to each kid at first, and then as the evening progresses, they get more if it looks like we'll have extra, but we usually don't. I always grab the candy from the bowl myself and put it into each kids sack--DH holds the bowl out and lets the kids take right from the bowl themselves--I can practically see the thought "ha ha, jackpot" floating through their little brains as they grab a handful!

I'm hoping we even HAVE trick-or-treaters this year though! I live right smack in the middle of one of the Southern California wildfire areas. The fire is safely out of our area, but I'm afraid the air will still be so smokey that there may not be too many kids venturing out. But then that's why I always buy the candy that DH and I like to eat too, so we can eat it if there is some left!

Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03