PDA

View Full Version : OT- Where should we go on vacation?

farsk
10-28-2003, 05:10 PM
Hello!

DH and I have travel fever and are looking for somewhere to vacation in the US. Where are your favorite travel spots? So far we've come up with Niagra Falls and somewhere where we can see the Rocky Mountains!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-Shannon
Mom to Ellen 7/23/2003

egoldber
10-28-2003, 09:24 PM
Here are some of my all-time fav US travel destinations:

Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur
San Diego (maybe not anytime soon...)
Charleston, SC and coastal beaches
New York City
the Oregon coast
Yosemite
the Blue Ridge mountains
Disneyworld
Las Vegas

August Mom
10-28-2003, 11:23 PM
We recently got back from Hilton Head, SC and although it was not normally the type of vacation that we take, it was wonderful and great for a trip with a little one.

We had a great time at Niagra Falls. (We stayed at the Marriott and had an INCREDIBLE view of the falls). I don't think I'd like to stay there very long, though. We were on our way to Canada and stopped by for 1 night and that was plenty for us.

We visited Mount Rushmore and surprisingly had one of our best vacations ever. It's a pain to get there, though, because it's out in the middle of nowhere. But, I think it was relaxing because it was so removed from the hustle and bustle of our normal lives. I'm sure that we'll take DS when he's older.

kaitlinsmommy
10-29-2003, 12:51 AM
We love Santa Fe! DH and I got married there and we visit every year (even brought Kaitlin with this spring). It's in the mountains (not the Rockies) and is beautiful. The weather is mild, there are fabulous restaurants & you can walk everywhere.

Let us know what you decide.

hez
10-29-2003, 05:19 AM
Beth has a great list...

I'd add Boston if you're in the mood for a little history. Not too far to get to Martha's Vineyard and other fun places. I lived there for a summer during college and loved it.

Gatlinburg was fantastic in October a few years ago. Gorgeous fall color, and if you get a cabin away from the commercial areas, it's as if you're out there by yourself.

My aunt lives in Boulder, CO. All kinds of neat activities since it's a college town, plus some parks in the foothills. It's not too terribly far from Estes Park. We spent a night in Estes Park during the off season, and it was neat to be there without all the summer tourists, but not as much to do, obviously :) And of course, there's Summit County where lots of the ski resorts are. We've gone skiing the last couple years, and I wouldn't trade those vacations for anything.

We got a big house with a bunch of friends on the Outer Banks a couple years ago. Loved it! Of course, part of that may have been the friends rather than the location :)

Oh-- and I'd add Disney World to Beth's Disneyland suggestion. There's enough in Orlando to keep you busy for a month, but I'd go sometime other than July or August, LOL! I have family down there, and Thanksgiving and Easter are really pleasant times to be there.

Have fun planning!!!

bluej
10-29-2003, 08:17 AM
We lived in Monterey for seven months and it was like a 7 month vacation! There is so much to do in that area and even if you don't feel like doing anything, just sit outside and enjoy the view!

COElizabeth
10-29-2003, 11:30 AM
Santa Fe is wonderful! For the Rockies, I love almost anywhere in Colorado (why I moved here!) as well as Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming and Glacier National Park in Montana. The national parks would have more to do in the summer, though, unless you like cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. In Colorado, I like Keystone, which is pretty accessible from Denver, family friendly, and has some great restaurants, sleigh rides, etc. It's also close to Breckenridge, which is a wonderful town to walk around. I also really like Durango and Telluride. If you don't ski or snowshoe, Santa Fe would be a good option because there are tons of art galleries and shopping, and while there is skiing, it's not the main focus of the town as it is in a lot of the Colorado ski towns during the winter.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

divabell
10-29-2003, 12:30 PM
What did you do in Hilton Head? I've been thinking about a trip there (OK, not anytime soon, but I love to travel and can't resist thinking ahead) and haven't yet convinced DH it's a good place to try.