PDA

View Full Version : Incredibly interesting article about women with degrees and success and motherhood

peanut4us
10-29-2003, 03:49 PM
Wow. I just got this in an internal email at my company. I can't believe they distributed this to the "women's" group. How many of us are sitting in our chairs now thinking "Is this really what I want to do?"

Excellent read. really focuses on the professionally-trained woman http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/26/magazine/26WOMEN.html?pagewanted=print&position=

brigmaman
10-29-2003, 05:51 PM
Hi,
Thanks for posting the link to this article. In my high school senior newspaper predictions I wrote that in 10 years I would be travelling the world and single. LOL! Seven years later I found myself married and graduating with my Master's Degree in Education from the college in my hometown, sporting an 7 month prego belly under my gown!
Hmmm... so much for that! Sometimes I think, "You can't have it all" but sometimes I think that I do!

(Take that with a grain of salt- my car's in the shop and I think my cake is burning in the oven!

jojo2324
10-29-2003, 06:21 PM
TRISH?!?! Is that you??? I only know one Brigham...:D

egoldber
10-29-2003, 08:12 PM
Joey, thanks for posting this! That was a very interesting article. I felt like I was reading about me (minus the degree from Princeton, LOL!) and how I came to be where I am now.

I thought it was interesting how she talked about how women aren't necessarily "opting in" to being at home, but "opting out" of a work place they no longer want to compete in. Very interesting stuff...

sntm
10-30-2003, 09:35 AM
i've just browsed the article (running off to class) but often feel the same way. used to want to be dr. mackinnon, who was chief of plastic surgery at my med school married to a surgeon with 4 kids and a house in architectural digest and a book written about her. now if i could win the lottery, would quit in a heartbeat (I do love my job, just not as much anymore -- no telling on me, heather!)

scary comment though about having a baby as an excuse to quit? hope that was a way out-of-context quote.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03