PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Restaurant Suggestions

Jen in Chicago
10-30-2003, 10:00 AM
DH and I are considering a night in NO for our anniversary (Grandma and Grandpa offered to babysit overnight.) Emeril's Flagship restaurant is not available. Any suggestions?

newbelly2002
10-30-2003, 10:26 AM
Ooohhh... now there's a city in which I love to eat.

I'm not sure about dinner but we went to the best place for brunch for my birthday a few years back. It was called Court of the Two Sisters, I think? It's one of the oldest restaurants in town. It had a MAMMOTH buffett with great quality seafood, fresh fruits, pancakes and the like. The live jazz was prima! The outside seating was so low key. And the best part was when the waiter introduced himself and said: "sit back, relax, stay for a few hours, and it's not my fault if you leave hungry." I loved the idea that there was rush, it was all about just hanging out....

I'm so jealous. Enjoy!
Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

LucyG
10-30-2003, 11:00 AM
This is a chain, so might not be what you are looking for. However, we ate at Ralph and Kacoo's and it was very good (seafood, creole, etc.).

mamahill
10-30-2003, 11:03 AM
Is that Commander's Palace? Because that place is AWWWWWESOME!!! But seriously, we ate at places ranging from that to a hole in the wall and it was all fantastic. One thing about that city, they know how to eat!

alkagift
10-30-2003, 11:10 AM
Jen,
I'll email you an article from the latest Southern Living...cheap eats! Let me know if you don't get it.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, 5/19/03

blnony
10-30-2003, 01:38 PM
My DH and I go to NO twice every year, sometimes more. We're not that far away. We are planning another long weekend in the Spring for Jazz Fest and I can't wait.
Our favorite is Commander's Palace in the Garden District. You can take a cab or the trolly is you're staying the Quarter. Also, if you are wanting something in the Q. we really like K Paul's and Broussard's. Both are wonderful. Also, Irene's up around St. Peter is great, but hard to get into on a weekend.
For brunch (which is a three hour affair for us) can't be beat at Brennan's on Royal. It is the first thing we do when we get there. The mimosa's are wonderful as is the Banana's Foster (it was invented there) For a simple lunch, there is a place called Mother's that has the most wonderful sandwiches.
Ah.....I wish I was there right now!! :D

deenass
10-30-2003, 02:07 PM
Try Nola ... it is another Emeril restaurant. My brother in law's brother is the head chef ... my parents will be there this weekend (went to NO for a vacation) so I can let you know how it is.

pritchettzoo
10-30-2003, 07:03 PM
I third Commander's Palace. Especially for Jazz Brunch, but the reservations for that can be hard to come by. DH & I went to NO for our honeymoon, and I have a great B&B to recommend if you're interested.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

Sarah1
10-30-2003, 07:41 PM
Another vote for Commander's Palace, if it's available! It is truly a very special place, as cliched as that may sound.

Galatoire's is another terrific place. DH and I got engaged in NO, and we celebrated with lunch there after he proposed.

have a GREAT time--I hope you go! Your baby will be FINE and it's a good experience for you to spend a night away.

lizajane
10-30-2003, 07:45 PM
commander's palace again! i think it is very goofy looking from the outside, but gorgeous on the inside. and when our meat was slighly ill-prepared, we got complimentary champagne! excellent service and outstanding food.

hwin708
10-30-2003, 09:28 PM
Clancy's and Upperline are both VERY nice. For something slightly more off the beaten path, there is #### & Jenny's (Edited to add - the word is supposed to be d ick)and Jacques-Imo's. These two don't take reservations, but if you plan it right, there shouldn't be much of a wait. They're both pretty pricey, but totally worth it. Trully excellent food.
Another idea is Lilette on Magazine St. This one is relatively new (just a couple of years old) but is already extremely popular. I belive they have won some kind best chef in New Orleans award.
Another good French restaurant is La Crepe Nanou. This is probably the most reasonably priced of the bunch, and it does not take reservations (it is small, but I have never waited very long there - just call ahead to check on wait times). This is a very cute, intimate restaurant, with GREAT food, but much less formal.
Finally, another recent one on Magazine St. is Sugar Magnolia. Though they do have good food, they have become popular more for their great ambience. Truly an "uptown" restaurant.
I also agree with the Commander's and Galatoire's suggestions, as I enjoy their food a great deal, and I think they are just gorgeous. I will say, however, that I am not a huge fan of Emeril's restaurants. I find his food is just way too...heavy, I suppose.
Oh, one more I just tried a few weeks ago - Cuvee. Very popular, I had to wait for a while even with reservations, but it is beautiful, and the food was delicious. Probably won't make my top 10 list, but everyone has different tastes.
There's also Bayona.. and Peristyle... and Restaurant August...
I'll just stop now - the list can go on forever.

Jen in Chicago
10-31-2003, 10:17 AM
DH I think made a reservation here already! Thanks!

jeneli
11-01-2003, 12:51 PM
Good choice! DH and I lived in New Orleans for 3 years, and Nola was actually our favorite of Emeril's restaurants. Well, we enjoyed Delmonico too, but that is the most expensive of the 3, so we only went there twice. We tried Emeril's twice as well (once for lunch, once for dinner) and were underwhelmed both times. Nola was the only one we went back to again and again (whenver we had company in town). I actually prefer lunch there to dinner (he has a garlic bisque that is to die for!) but I think you will enjoy it. It also has a great location, being right in the French Quarter. Have fun!

Are you staying overnight? If so, I have to agree with everyone else who recommended the Jazz Brunch at Commander's Palace. If you're staying downtown you can just take a fun ride on the Streetcar up St. Charles. For other brunch options... we didn't care much for "Breakfast at Brennans" though I have heard great things about Court of Two Sisters (never made it there personally, unfortunately).

p.s. Whoever mentioned Jacque-Imo's -- that was one of our faves as well!

~jenny
SAHM to Elijah Spencer (9/23/02)