PDA

View Full Version : OT-hanging pot rack in the kitchen

barbarhow
10-30-2003, 09:36 PM
DH and I are in the process of designing our kitchen in our new house we're building. We will have a center island and he would like a hanging pot rack over it. Any thoughts? Those of you who have them, do you like them? If not why not. I like the look but am concerned about grimy build up on them. Also what styles do you think are best-oval, square, linear, etc. TIA.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

egoldber
10-30-2003, 11:10 PM
We have this one from Calphalon. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=12107935

We got it at Bed Bath and Beyond on sale and with a 20% off coupon. I love it. I haven't had any problem with build up, but I do have a down draft vent on my cooktop, which helps I'm sure. The only thing I don't like is that I have to put stuff I don't use very often on the back side, since I am so short. (Note the step stool in the attached pic :) ) But I love it!

One thing you want to make sure of is where the joists are over your island. You have to screw the rack into the joists, and if your joists aren't centered over the island, then the rack may look a little funny.

FYI, I've attached a picture of ours.

HTH,

barbarhow
10-31-2003, 05:38 AM
Thanks Beth. Yours looks awesome. and I love your kitty cat sitting on the stool. So cute. And thanks for the BBB tip. My DH is so into finding everything on the internet, I might never have checked there.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

dogmom
10-31-2003, 08:10 AM
I thought about a pot rack but went with a decorative island lamp instead. When I was looking I saw a couple of nice pot racks with intergrated lights at the EXPO center (branch of home depot). There were more expensive than regular pot racks, but they were less that a pot rack + a nice light. I decided not to go with the pot rack because I wasn't sure if I still wanted to be still looking at my grimy pots 10 years from now.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03