PDA

View Full Version : Croup at the Daycare center!

alkagift
10-31-2003, 03:28 PM
At the center today when I asked why a baby was missing from the costume parade, I was informed that he was hit by viral croup last night and had a 103 degree fever--and went to the hospital!! AGH! What is the likelihood that my DS is going to come down with it?? The infant room is small, only 7 or so babies.

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

lukkykatt
10-31-2003, 04:34 PM
There is really no way of knowing, I think. There are just so many variables to who gets sick and who doesn't.

BUT, I wanted to point out that croup is very manageable, BUT it can be serious. Unfortunately, it usually strikes in the middle of the night, and is characterized by a bark-like cough. If Matthew has these symptoms, call your Ped immediately no matter what time it is. I learned this the hard way last year, the first of many times that DS got the croup (I think all in all, 7 times last winter).

Peds are actually accustomed to diagnosing this over the phone, the sound is so distinctive. He/she will be able to tell you whether you can try to treat at home (by running a humidifier, and by bringing him into the bathroom while you run a shower to steam up the room) or if you need to go to the hospital for treatment.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that Matthew will be fine, but wanted to point out this info just in case! Hope Matthew has a great time trick or treating!

houseof3boys
10-31-2003, 09:45 PM
OMG let me just say I hope that Matthew doesn't get it! Try not to stress about it and just keep thinking that your breastmilk has magic anti sickness powers.

trumansmom
10-31-2003, 10:27 PM
FWIW, DS had croup a couple of months ago and no one else in his daycare got it. It may not have been the viral kind, I'm not sure. All I know is that he felt cruddy for a few days until the medicine kicked in. DH and I got a horrible cold/cough about the same time (Can adults get croup?), and it took us each 3-4 weeks to get over the cough. It was HORRIBLE!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!