PDA

View Full Version : random thought- act of kindness for new moms

lizajane
10-31-2003, 07:53 PM
this is kinda out of nowhere... but ya know how a lot of new moms cut their long hair after a baby is born ('cause it is just one more thing to deal with...)

i am planning to cut mine short because schuyler has the grabbies big time. anyway- i am going to donate my hair to "locks of love." they make wigs for children with hair loss disease and hair loss due to chemo.

they ask that your pony tail be at least 10 inches long when you cut it off. if you want to know about how long that is, see my "ds says 'c'mon let me play with it'" post, because my hair is just about at 10 inches (starting at the base of my neck, not starting at the root)

here is their site:
http://www.locksoflove.com

i thought i would share this info, since i bet there are some folks with long hair who are thinking of cutting it anyway.

liya
10-31-2003, 09:32 PM
I did this....I used to have my hair down past my rear end...LOL its was extremely LONG!!! I cut it a year ago and it is a great charity...Im glad you thought of it..

houseof3boys
10-31-2003, 09:41 PM
It is a wonderful program. I know 2 people that have donated to them! I wish I had known about it years ago when I cut about 11" off of my hair.

Good for you Liza. You'll have to post a new pic of your new do (that would be hairdo)!

houseof3boys
10-31-2003, 09:41 PM
It is a wonderful program. I know 2 people that have donated to them! I wish I had known about it years ago when I cut about 11" off of my hair.

Good for you Liza. You'll have to post a new pic of your new do (that would be hairdo)!

jojo2324
10-31-2003, 10:05 PM
This is one of those charities I always want to donate to, but my hair just doesn't get long enough!! I think it is such a great idea, such a wonderful gift.

elvisfan
10-31-2003, 11:07 PM
This is a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing:)

KMommie
11-01-2003, 03:10 AM
Aw, man... I wish I knew of this before! My hair stylist told me I couldn't donate my hair when I chopped it off because I colored it. Now, I see that I could have! Rats! Thanks for sharing the info. I'll be sure to pass it along to my new mommy friends, who still have long locks but are sure to be thinking of cutting them off as well!

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

jeneli
11-01-2003, 12:26 PM
I donated to Locks of Love as well! I don't know if it was hormones or what, but my hair grew really fast and long during my pregnancy. After Eli was born, I just tied it back into a ponytail and decided to let it grow a bit longer so I could have enough to donate (but still have some left over!). By last February it was long enough (and driving me bonkers) so I found a participating salon in my area and had it chopped. I got a nice thank you note in the mail a couple months later. Funny thing is, my hair has been growing back incredibly slowly ever since! Hopefully it will speed up again during my next pregnancy (whenever that may be) so I can donate again.

FYI, if there's not a Locks of Love salon near you, you may also want to try Wigs for Kids (www.wigsforkids.org).

~jenny
SAHM to Elijah Spencer (9/23/02)

JMarie
11-01-2003, 01:49 PM
I've done this about three times so far - my hair usually grows like a weed anyway, so you can imagine how crazy it got during pregnancy! I love my long hair, but knowing that when I chop it off, it's going to a good cause doesn't leave me crying as much. After the pregnancy, I donated about 14 inches. I'm still waiting for it to grow back...

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03