PDA

View Full Version : Packing and plane ride

liya
11-01-2003, 07:30 PM
What are my must haves for Ari...I swear ill have to list everything im so scattered brained sometimes and im scared ill forget something and really need it when i get to the USA.....

Also should i buy a seat for Ari for th car seat or would it be better to have him in my lap? Now remember gals im going from PR to FL and then after a few days in FL im going to NC...We are buying the plane tickets this week and i want to have everything ready by then...Any advice for traveling with a nine month old??

lizajane
11-01-2003, 07:39 PM
well i am just plain cheap, so i would hold schuyler in my lap just so i didn't have to pay for a seat...

don't worry too much about NC being so different from PR. it was in the low 80's today. of course, a week ago it was in the 50s... but it just depends on the week. so just pack layers. short sleeves that can be covered with a sweatshirt that can be covered with a coat.

edited to say that i am not an idiot! i realize it is HOT where you are and not HOT where we are... but i just meant that you need to check the internet weather forecast before you come so that you will know how cool it will be here. i mean, it isn't going to snow next week or anything...

stillplayswithbarbies
11-01-2003, 10:35 PM
Definitely buy a seat for him. Most airlines charge half price for babies. It's much safer to have him strapped into a car seat. You never know when you will hit turbulence that could injure him if he is in your arms.

I'm the kind of person who does what they say and keeps my seatbelt on all the time when I am on a plane. If I am buckled in, I sure want my baby buckled in too.

Besides the safety issues, I can't imagine holding a squirming baby for as many hours as you are going to be on a plane. Won't he want to sleep? Won't you want to sleep?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

liya
11-02-2003, 12:56 PM
That makes sense Karen....And i have no idea where i will put my RA if i dont take it on the plane with me..Its my coveted seat(i got it in a super special) ill be so panicked if it gets lost....I will have to check pricing on it. I will be only 2hrs and something on the plane ride to FL so that wont be SOOOO long but i think it will be sorta uncomfy to have him squirm and scream all the time...Would you guys get a window seat?? Or one in the middle?? Also how do you change the baby if he goes poopy?? I know the plane brooms are soooooooooo tiny but since i wasnt a mom i never noticed if they had place to change a child..LOL

Also how many cloth diapers would you take??

Lets see aside from the obvious diapers, clothes and personal belongings i have:

Car Seat
Stroller
Pouch
Favorite Toy

Hummmmmm is that all????!!! LOL

cuca_
11-02-2003, 01:06 PM
If you don't use your RA you can either put it in a bag and check it at the counter, or check it at the gate prior to boarding. I've checked both an infant seat and a stroller several times and have never had a problem. I think if you get a seat for ds he needs to be on a window seat. If you decide to travel with him on your lap, I would ask for an aisle. Makes it more comfortable to get up and use the restrooms. However, if sitting in the aisle seat, watch ds' head and limbs so as to avoid any accidents with the meal and beverage carts. In response to your question about were to change the baby, I understand that most airplanes have a chainging table in the bathroom. At least all of jetblue's airplanes do. They are on the wall above the toilet. Hope this helps. Have a nice trip.

stillplayswithbarbies
11-02-2003, 01:30 PM
You will want a change of clothes for him, and at least a change of shirt for you. What if he has a blow out diaper all over both of you, or spits up.

I always try to take a new toy she has never seen before and keep it hidden until I need a super-duper distraction.

There is a changing table in the bathrooms. It's about as small as you would imagine it has to be in there. :)

Take more diapers than you think you will need. You never know when the flight will be delayed or you will have to sit in the plane for hours while they fix something or whatever. The last time I flew, we landed at a totally different airport than we were going to because there was a problem with the plane, and we sat for 3 hours while they fixed it. No one was allowed to leave the plane. She was young enough to sleep through much of it, but it was a good thing we had extra diapers.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

heidi_timms
11-02-2003, 09:27 PM
If you can't afford a seat after all, have the ticket agent help you pick a plane that isn't too full. My sister does this all the time and there are plenty of open seats to set up the carseat.
~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

mommyj
11-03-2003, 02:53 AM
When I recently flew with my 3 month old DS, I brought 5 cloth dipes (the UCPFs were the least bulky, so I brought those), one extra snappi, 2 extra covers, a bunch of cloth wipes, and then I also stuck in a few of those paper wipes we still had from the hospital but had never used. I also had an extra outfit and an extra onesie, just in case we needed them. I just changed him right before we boarded so I wouldn't have to deal with trying to change him on the plane. I also brought a few big ziploc baggies in case my HT wet bag was too full. We didn't need them, but I felt better knowing I wouldn't have to abandon any of my dipes along the way :) I packed the rest of my dipes, covers, and wipes in my suitcase.
I recommend carrying on as little as possible. I did that, and it made getting around the airports and on and off the plane much easier. I crammed everything I needed in my diaper bag and checked in the rest of my stuff. I think Beth was the one who mentioned they might make me take DS out of my pouch when we went through security, and they did, so I was glad to have to heads up on that.
I'm trying to remember what else I packed in the diaper bag. I think other than what I mentioned above, I brought a bottle of water, some snacks, an extra blanket in case the plane was cold, and my pouch.
HTH!