PDA

View Full Version : Are there any tricks to make baby drop?

SeekerMage
11-02-2003, 02:03 AM
Lil'bit is still up high and not wanting to drop....are there any "tricks" to helping her do so? I know there are lots for inducing labor, which Im not about to try just yet....what about making baby "drop". She is in position, but not wanting to move on south!

Im 36 weeks along, and she has been having a few problems with lack of movement and being lazy....and if she keeps it up they are thinking about inducing but I cant imagine them doing so if she hasnt dropped yet. I also dont want a c-section unless I have to. Are there any ways to help her along?

Not that I want to rush things along, or do anything to hurt her, but I was hoping to be early and she is already a turkey! the dr thinks she is to be atleast 8 1/2 pounds and Im hoping she isnt running out of room and thats the reason for her laziness. Any how...any suggestions?

Rachels
11-02-2003, 08:13 AM
Arrgh! I just typed a long reply, but it disappeared. The short answer is no, though. A first baby often doesn't really drop until labor begins, and that's a normal phenomenon. Decreased movement in late pregnancy is also to be expected. She's out of room, so you won't feel those wild kicks and rolls anymore. Any small flick or thump counts as movement, and as long as you're feeling about ten in a two-hour period, she's okay. Also, don't let the doctor freak you out about weight. Although it's possible that she really is 8.5 pounds, it's unlikely, and there are NO reliable tools for guessing a baby's weight in late pregnancy. The baby is not going to take up more room than you have. Your body knows the right time for her to be born, just as it has known how to grow her and meet every single one of her needs up until this point. There is NO reason to think you need to be induced or face surgical birth at this point! If your doctor is suggesting otherwise, think about getting a second opinion. At the very least, find a quick copy of Henci Goer's books and educate yourself about this issue so that you can be empowered to advocate for yourself and your baby. If you need some support, we're here. It sounds like things are progressing just fine.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mom2kandj
11-02-2003, 11:28 AM
There is no rushing perfection! Lil' Bit sounds like she is nice and cozy inside Mama! I know that your doc is worried about the lack of movement, but do be patient and keep up with your NSTs. Continue to get lots of rest and eat well, but try to relax as the baby will pick up on any maternal anxiety.

Like Rachel said, I'd be worried about talks of inducing so soon. I feel that too much intervention can lead to increased maternal anxiety and therefore c-section. Both of my kids were about a week late and I have had both a csection and a VBAC. As long as you have a healthy child and you are okay, both delivery methods work though I prefer from down there. A c-section can be a terrifying procedure as I felt that I had lost all control. (FWIW - I progressed to 6cm with DD before she had repeated signs of fetal distress and meconium.) I pushed for a VBAC and was pleasantly surprised with how smoothly #2 went.

Enjoy what little time and sleep you have left. The more relaxed you are, the more ready your body will become for Lil' Bit to make her arrival. Take care of yourself!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (34 months)
& Jack (18 months)

jd11365
11-02-2003, 12:38 PM
My Lamaze teacher told me to do a handstand in the pool...with help of course. I was so wanting the baby to get in the right place (she was transverse until 36 weeks) that I actually did flips...desperate times called for desperate measures in my mind...didn't want a c-section. If Lil' bit is facing the right way, then you're just going to have to wait these last few weeks out...they are the longest, I know. The baby will be here soon enough! Enjoy sleeping through the night while you can!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

Momof3Labs
11-02-2003, 03:43 PM
It's way to early to worry about whether she has dropped, Kathryn! Colin dropped on a Monday, and I went into labor early Friday morning (he was born 1am on Saturday) - he was born at 38 weeks. Most of my buddies who were due around the same time, though, didn't drop that far before labor.

I remember how miserable I was by 36 weeks. Just remember that right now, she's safer inside of you (lung maturity!!) and even though you are both getting a bit cramped, she knows (and your body knows) what to do. Every extra day she spends inside of you is one less potential day in the NICU.

And about weight predictions - I didn't have a late-stage u/s, but starting around 25 weeks, always measured 3-4 weeks ahead. Despite that, Colin was born at 8lbs, 4oz and 22" long - healthy, but definitely manageable!

ethansmom
11-02-2003, 09:11 PM
Umm...I didn't drop until about 30 hrs after my water broke! (and I didn't have a c-section!) Don't worry and hang in there! Your body knows what it's supposed to do. At this point, you definitely want to meet your Lil'bit, but try to enjoy the rest of your pregnancy! It's such a special time...

Melanie
11-03-2003, 02:14 AM
Ds dropped on a Saturday or Sunday and I went into Labor on Tuesday (my due date). It is only in retrospect that I know this is what happened. I was at a festival with my mother and walking quite a bit (okay, for a 9 mo pregnant woman it was a bit), and near the end, noticed my hips were starting to hurt and they continued to hurt throughout labor. (Hip labor, something they don't teach you about in classes - OUCH!)

newbelly2002
11-03-2003, 09:01 AM
My little guy didn't drop until halfway through the pushing. Lil'bit's time will come and then you will you know!

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02