PDA

View Full Version : OT - Minestrone recipe?

bluej
11-03-2003, 11:31 AM
It's consistently chilly (okay, out and out cold today!) here now and in my mind that means soup season! I have chili, corn chowder and chicken dumpling soup recipes that I'm happy w/, but I really want a good Minestrone recipe. Anyone have one they are willing to share? TIA!

Piglet
11-03-2003, 11:59 AM
Okay, be prepared for the easiest minestrone in the history of cooking... it is a crockpot recipe, but I am sure you can do it in a regular pot too.

Dump the following into crockpot first thing in the morning:
1 can baked beans (or other beans if you prefer, or chickpeas, etc.)
1 pack frozen (chopped) spinach, thawed in microwave
1 can tomato soup
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen mixed veggies (corn, peas, carrots)
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
salt, pepper to taste
4-5 cups of water (depending on your crockpot capacity)

Stir ingredients together. Turn on low and cook until supper time.

Cook elbow macaroni, as per directions. Drain and set aside.

When serving soup, add a few spoonfulls of macaroni, as desired.

This is my favourite soup recipe because I can make it in less than ten minutes in the morning and it is ready when I get home. You can make it on the stove top as easily, just cook all the ingredients in a pot (probably simmer for an hour or so). You can add more water as needed, too. I am not very particular with the liquid measurements for soup, as long as the consitency is "soupy".

Enjoy!

August Mom
11-03-2003, 05:47 PM
I don't have one myself, but on Everyday Italian on the Food Network, they were featuring a Minestrone Soup. Here's a link to the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_24784,00.html

I do have a great Chicken Chili recipe if you are interested, though. It's one of my winter staples.

houseof3boys
11-03-2003, 06:13 PM
oooooh, so easy! Thanks for the recipe I will give it a try. Now I have to actually find my crockpot....

parkersmama
11-03-2003, 06:22 PM
That sounds easy and delicious! We may be having minestrone soon at our house!

mamahill
11-03-2003, 06:49 PM
Here's my mom's:

Brown 1 lb ground beef and one diced onion and drain. Add 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste, 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce, 1 C water, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper. Simmer 30 minutes.

Add 1 can kidney beans (undrained - I use the low-sodium), 1 small can mushrooms (size depends on how many you want - you can use fresh), 1 can alphabet soup, 1 C beef broth. (cook 3/4 C small shells separately, then add as well) I throw in a few fresh basil leaves and some oregano as well. Bring to a boil and then turn off. Ladle into bowls and top with shredded mozarella. Serve with crusty bread! I think it's even better the second day.

Mmmm - I love good soup recipes!

bluej
11-04-2003, 11:40 AM
Thanks so much everyone! I can't wait to try these out!

AugustMom, I am defintely interested in your Chicken Chili recipe if you would like to share it!

karin4
11-04-2003, 03:27 PM
What a great thread! Soups are my absolute favorite thing to cook. Actually, along with cookies, they're the ONLY thing I like to cook, and I'll definitely try these out.

My favorites: the manhatten clam chowder recipe in the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook (you know, the one with the red and white checked cover) is really good, and easy. And I have an italian bean soup recipe that takes a bit more time and effort, but is just fabulous.

AugustMom, I'd love that chicken chili recipe, too!

Jen, I'd also love your chicken dumpling recipe!

sweetbasil
11-04-2003, 06:43 PM
Alright, Jen...this isn't Minestrone, but it's a tomato-based stew sort of thing that's just really yummy, and cooks in the crockpot (soooo easy!):

Tortellini Stew
1 lb. mild italian sausage, browned and crumbled
2 cans Campbells Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup (or reg. tomato soup and a dash of garlic powder if you're in a pinch!)
3 c. water
1 large onion, chopped
1 med. zucchini, sliced
1 8oz pkg. tortellini (3 or 5 cheese tortellini is great)

Place all ingredients in crockpot and cook on High for 3-4 hours...you might add another cup of water if you like it more soupy or if it becomes too thick for your preference. Great with shredded mozzarella sprinkled on top and served with garlic bread!

bluej
11-04-2003, 08:10 PM
Ohhh! That sounds good! Yummmm!

Okay, here's the Chicken Dumpling Soup

Boil a whole chicken in 5 cups water, 1 T salt, 1 t pepper and 1 T chicken base. Simmer, covered 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Remove chicken and set aside to cool for ten minutes. Skim foam off broth and strain broth; add back to pot. Add 2 medium carrots, sliced and 2 medium stalks celery, sliced. Heat to boiling; reduce heat, cover and simmer about 15 minutes.

Skin chicken, pull from bones, cut up and add pieces to the broth. Drop dumpling mixture (recipe to follow) by 1/8 tsp drops. This is tedious, so what I do instead is use a Spaetzle maker http://tinyurl.com/tnuy Cover and simmer ten minutes.

Dumplings: Beat 4 eggs until fluffy. Add 1/2 t salt and a shake of pepper, 1 T oil, 1 1/2 c flour. Add milk as needed (I usually only need a little splash of milk).

karin4
11-05-2003, 03:29 PM
Thank you!! I think I'll try this one this weekend.

August Mom
11-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Here's my Chicken Chili recipe. Actually, it was given to us by Chilis restaurant. DH loved their Chicken Chili. It was taken off the menu and he complained. So, we received this recipe.

Chicken Chili

1 1/2 pounds chicken breast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon cumin
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons basil
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 cup crushed tomatillos (canned), drained
1 can green chiles, chopped
1 can navy beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1. Cook and dice chicken breasts. Set aside.

2. In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion, bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic until tender.

3. In a separate container, mix chicken broth with lime juice and seasonings. Add to vegetable mixture.

4. Add tomatillos and green chilies to pot and bring to a boil.

5. Add navy beans, kidney beans and diced chicken breast. Bring back to a simmer for 10 minutes.

6. Spoon into individual bowls.

Note: If you use fresh tomatillos, chop them and saute them with the onion, garlic and peppers. If you like a thicker chili, use approximately 2/3 of the amount of chicken broth listed.

justlearning
11-05-2003, 06:46 PM
These recipes all sound great--soup does sound good right now. Because I'm not much of a cook, I make minestrone soup the easiest way possible. I buy a bag of soup mix (can't think of the brand right now--the bag is green) and then all I have to do is add the browned hamburger. What I do is brown a lot of hamburger with onions all at once and then freeze 1-lb. or 1/2-lb servings in bags in the freezer. I use those for many different meals, but it also works for the minestrone soup. The soup only takes 15 minutes that way and tastes delicious--you'd never know it wasn't completely homemade.