PDA

View Full Version : Marisa - how did you and Sophie make out at CHOP today???

momathome
11-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Just wondering how your follow-up went and how Sophie is doing. Did you give them h*ll about the lack of pain control? Any luck house hunting? Details, details....
-Lauren

momathome
11-03-2003, 10:37 PM
BUMP!!!

Marisa6826
11-03-2003, 10:58 PM
Well there have been several developments on both "fronts".

First Sophie.

Saturday I took Jonathan to look at a house I found earlier in the week. As he was getting Sophie out of the car he noticed that her right eye was really red (it had gotten a lot better over the week and was almost normal) again. By Saturday night, she was screaming, by Sunday she was even worse, it was swollen and had discharge coming out of it. You guessed it. An infection. I called the resident on call and we agreed that we would start the antibiotic ointment again and hold off until today's post op appointment to bring her in. The surgeon confirmed it was infected and has prescribed drops that have to be administered FOUR times a day for the next 7-10 days. I have to call next Monday and tell him how it's going before I can stop them.

As far as the surgery goes, her alignment is right on, but she's still showing that preference for the stronger eye (although they're cosmetically straight now). So it's back to the atropine drops every three days for the next fives weeks until our next appointment. If it's not better, then we have to start patching again. UGH.

As far as the house hunt goes, we think we found one. The house itself is very nice, but the neighbourhood it is in is just amazing. It's on the end of a dead end street that is actually a horse shoe. The house is on one side of it, and on the other is a new playground and the back end of a reservation. We're having a really hard time getting the owner to negotiate to a price we can afford, but now she's saying she can't get out in time. She has metastatic breast cancer, is undergoing chemo and is moving to Las Vegas to be with her daughter. She can't do much on the weeks she has chemo, so we don't know how quickly she can move (she still has to find a new home and isn't travelling well). I called our buyers tonight to see how long they can push off moving in here. I will have an answer tomorrow. I'm also going to look into hotels that would take the dogs. I am NOT putting them in a kennel.

The house is in great condition, but the decor leaves A LOT to be desired. Everything in the house is pink, pink, pink. The floors, the walls, the draperies. And what isn't pink is pink and purple textured wallpaper with sparklies on it. Even the ceilings in the bathrooms. Have I mentioned it's my most hated colour?? Figures!

So that's where we are. I really hope we get this house. It will be a big stretch for us, but it would be a great place for us to end up.

Keep your fingers crossed!!

-m

starrynight
11-03-2003, 11:19 PM
Oh poor baby, I hope the infection clears up soon. Good luck with the house, I will keep my fingers crossed for you Marisa! Ugh on the pink, I don't mind pale pink on a new baby but otherwise I hate the color too, especially in a house or on the walls!

Marisa6826
11-03-2003, 11:39 PM
Oh and I did give him a piece of my mind about Sophie's pain level once we got home. The doctor gave me the same schpiel about how they don't like giving narcotics to infants. I told him that I still didn't feel it was appropriate or necessary for her to be in such pain. He gave me this line about studies proving the efficacy of Tylenol. RIGHT. He wasn't in MY house trying to calm a screaming baby every four hours.

-m

pritchettzoo
11-03-2003, 11:58 PM
You should have given him the "two-fingered Disney salute" :P(paraphrased perhaps...). He's in cahoots with the geniuses who gave me motrin after a c-section and acted like I was a dope fiend for wanting more. You really wanted the meds for yourself, didn't you? I'm sure that's part of the reason--doctors seem wary to hand out narcotics when the recipient can't be in complete control over them. It's sad that they have to think of that, but in the meantime, why don't we operate on him and test his little theory??

I hope Sophie improves. Poor munchkin, and poor you! Good luck on the house saga.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

lukkykatt
11-04-2003, 07:59 AM
Marisa, I hope Sophie keeps improving - poor gal! She is such a trooper.

I will keep my fingers crossed on the house for you! I am so glad you ended up not getting that other house. All this extra house-hunting will be so worth it, once you get the house you love! And you can always undo the pink little by little. Never knew anyone could have pink ceilings though, LOL!

sntm
11-04-2003, 08:22 AM
i don't know your doc or his reasons, but while i usually just prescribe tylenol for post-op kids, i can't imagine refusing something stronger if she needed it. _most_ kids do fine on just tylenol/ibuprofen but not all kids, especillay when they get an infection!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

momathome
11-04-2003, 09:11 AM
Marisa-
I am so sorry to hear that Sophie had such a rough weekend - hopefully the antibiotic drugs will help. I will cross my fingers for you that the house works out, pink or otherwise. When my SIL bought her house, the previous owners had wall-papered every square inch with floral wallpower that dated back to 1985. It took some time and work but now, there is not a single trace of that wallpower or evidence that it ever existed. As far as the doc giving you the run around about Sophie's pain meds, that's just bull. Babies feel pain as severely as the rest of us do, to not medicate is just negligible on their part. Keep up the good fight, Mama - you are doing an amazing job and Sophie is lucky to have you!
-Lauren

Marisa6826
11-04-2003, 10:28 AM
Damn Anna.

Once again that lawyerly sleuth in you uncovered my plot to get good drugs from CHOP! :P

I got the REALLY good stuff after my c/s because my OB knew better than to try and pull one over on me :)

In all seriousness. I told him that there was no reason they couldn't have provided even a 12 hour dose just to get us through the night and I would have brought her in the next morning. Oh well. Now I know better.

-m

Andrea S
11-04-2003, 10:43 AM
Marisa,

I hope Sophie's infection clears up and she is feeling better. Good luck with the house.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

McQ
11-04-2003, 10:52 AM
Sophie is such a little trooper. Hope the infection clears up soon. Yea on the house!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

Bethann31
11-04-2003, 12:08 PM
I am so glad to hear about the house. You will be able to change the color. Pink, huh? There is sometimes just no accounting for taste. When I moved into my house, it was all this Colonial Blue and off white. It has taken awhile, but there is almost none of it left.

I'm so sorry about Sophie's eye infection, but I'm sure it will clear up just fine. Goodness knows there are enough "get well" vibes going around.

Beth
mom to 3 (13, 11 and 8) and then 1 more (06/04/03)