PDA

View Full Version : Remember the funny Beanie Baby Ebay listing???

Piglet
11-04-2003, 09:29 PM
It had to be too good to be true:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/columnists/sfl-ralph02nov02,0,6671241.column

This guy definitely gets marks for creativity. He would probably do really well in a career in marketing, LOL!

jmofarrill
11-05-2003, 01:14 AM
You know, Ralph De La Cruz is actually my favorite columnist! He wrote an article a while back (before Anwyn was born) about attractive people being more accepted in political positions. I emailed him about a conversation dh and I had about inner and outer beauty and how we wanted to raise Anwyn (whose name means very fair/beautiful) to be beautiful on the inside. He wrote me back to thank me for my thoughts and he believed that Anwyn was already beautiful. He won me over with that email, I can tell you!

Edited for spelling; I’ve had to do this on a few postings today. :o

flagger
11-05-2003, 09:36 AM
By the way,

The FBI has now become involved in this.

http://www.traderlist.com/DrunkenSailor-SteveKaye.html

McQ
11-05-2003, 10:19 AM
Could this site be a joke too? I've never done eBay or anything like this so I'm clueless and to the Trader List or anything like that.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

dogmom
11-05-2003, 10:52 AM
" To back up my own feeling about the five, I sent three to TY's recognized authenticator, Peggy Gallagher, including the Royal Blue Peanut."...

Oh, this just keeps getting better and better. There IS such a thing as a beanie baby authenticator? Man, I got the wrong job.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

peanut4us
11-05-2003, 10:53 AM
If this site is actually legit, then I feel bad for the buyer, but I would not call her a "victim". No one put a gun to her head and made her buy that auction. Yes, it was an amusing auction, but by its sheer entertainment value, that sent up huge red flags for me. I guess I just don't have tons of sympathy for the buyer because I would never lay down that kind of cash a) for beanie babies or b) for anything sight unseen!

If you see anymore on this Flagger, let us know. The saga gets more entertaining.

bluej
11-05-2003, 10:58 AM
She suspected that five of them were fakes and yet she bid (and high enough to win) on them anyway? I guess I don't see why she thinks she was wronged.

sntm
11-05-2003, 12:44 PM
wow. i may never sell anything on ebay again!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

MartiesMom2B
11-05-2003, 01:11 PM
Well I'm sad to find out that he lied on his e-bay description, but I give him kudos for creative writing.

I think it's strange that the winner thought they were frauds and yet she bid on them anyway. He said he didn't know if they were real or not. In addition how am I supposed to know if anything I sell is authentic or not. I view Ebay to be similar to a big online garage sale.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

stillplayswithbarbies
11-05-2003, 01:32 PM
I think it was careless of the buyer to admit to breaking eBay rules. He/she says that the seller blocked her bid, but he/she bid using another id. It is against the eBay user agreement to circumvent a blocked bidder like that, and he/she could be kicked off eBay.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

flagger
11-05-2003, 02:17 PM
Oh it gets even more humorous. Ever seen people leaving feedback on an item they didn't even win?

http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=thedrunkensailor

It goes on for pages and pages.

stillplayswithbarbies
11-05-2003, 02:50 PM
You can't leave feedback on eBay unless you are either the buyer or the seller in a transaction. All those people did win an auction from him.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

kransden
11-05-2003, 02:54 PM
They are feedbacks for the 3 cent certificates he is selling for 1.50. I don't feel very sorry for the buyer. She was greedy. She is a seasoned beanie collector. He was completely unwilling to show a single photo of the tush tags or offer any proof except poor quality pictures. How could she not know? If it looks too good to be true it probably is.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

parkersmama
11-05-2003, 05:45 PM
I've never heard of a better scheme for getting someone else to buy you a beer! This guy must have been a real hit in college! LOL!

I don't feel sorry for the buyer either. I thought he made it pretty clear that he was not giving any guarantees to authenticity. She goofed big time. But, I've been burned on eBay before and it does suck.

em_jon98
11-06-2003, 12:00 AM
This lady needs to get a life. I cannot feel sympathetic for her. Drunkensailor made no claims whatsoever that the beanies were authentic. She circumvented Ebay rules to buy the stupid things and then wants to complain that he broke the rules?!!!

She spent $900 on BEANIE BABIES. Really...

cinrein
11-06-2003, 08:59 AM
She questions the authenticity of the beanies and emails him about her, he trashes her in his listing, and she still bids hundreds of dollars for these beanies?!?!?! She has more money than brains.

FWIW, I think the guy knew they were fakes.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

starrynight
11-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Shame on the buyer! She had a feeling they were fakes but yet bid that much anyway? Come on those things are thin pieces of some sorta fleece stuffed with pellets why on earth would she spend that much!? My kids have a ton, wonder if she would guve me that much lol. The seller flat out stated he had no clue on the value or anything and started them cheap enough that you would assume if they were true rare ones and he knew it he would have started them higher. And she has no right to whine, she went around a blocked bid and broke rules too! Ya gotta give this guy credit for creativity though, eventhough he fibbed a bit, his lie didn't affect the item description any.