PDA

View Full Version : Totally OT: Has anyone seen this ice cream treat?

deborah_r
11-05-2003, 04:47 PM
I remember from my childhood an ice cream that you would get from the Good Humor ice cream truck called a Toasted Almond. Vanilla ice cream on a stick with tosted almond over it. Pretty sure it was Good Humor. Now in the grocery store I always see the Strawberry Shortcake on a stick, but never the Toasted Almond. They used to ahve both of those in the ice cream truck.

parkersmama
11-05-2003, 05:25 PM
Yum....I remember it but haven't seen it!

jojo2324
11-05-2003, 06:09 PM
I see them all the time!! But maybe only on the truck...Let me tell you, Craig is our local ice cream guy and I HAUL BUNS when I hear his little bell ringing. I can't wait to race Gannon and Little Miss out to the truck in a few summers!! :9

I love Strawberry Shortcake, with the Chocolate Eclair a close second. (I don't like almonds too much.)

deborah_r
11-05-2003, 06:15 PM
Joanne,

Did cholocate eclair used to have more of a candy bar center? I remember the outside being like it is, but then the inside being solid chocolate. I looked on their website and they have one with a candy bar center but it has the candy-shell coated type thing.

toomanystrollers
11-05-2003, 06:18 PM
I'm pretty sure we have them here in MA. I'll check at Stop & Shop tommorow - dh loves the toasted almond ones.

JustMare
11-05-2003, 07:38 PM
Chocolate Eclairs were my FAVORITE!!!

Yup, they had a chocolate bar in the center with a chocolate coating outside (similar to the strawberry shortcake coating). It wasn't a hard chocolate coating.

I haven't seen eclairs, but I've seen the shortcakes in my supermarket. I gotta check it out tomorrow. You got me craving some Good Humor!! :)

deborah_r
11-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Yeah, I've seen the eclairs and they don't have the candy bar center anymore - just chocolate ice cream center.

Regarding the Toasted Almond, Maybe they don't have them in California - I grew up in Connecticut and had them there. I recently lived in Pittsburgh and don't recall seeing them there.

em_jon98
11-05-2003, 11:41 PM
Good Humor bars are gone in seconds in our house. DH and I both love them :)!!!!

We have most of the flavors (Strawberry, Almond, and Chocolate) at most of the local grocery chains here in Chicagoland (Dominicks, Jewel, Meijer). I haven't seen an ice cream truck in years, so I'm cannot say if they have the Almond flavor on the local ice cream trucks.

sugarsnappea
11-06-2003, 08:29 AM
I love Toasted Almond! In fact, i saw boxes of them last week at a Farmer Jack store. It was very difficult to pass those by... :)