PDA

View Full Version : Testing...or??

C99
11-07-2003, 09:06 PM
So, I'm trying to figure out what's going on with my baby this week. On Monday, I started trying some of the things suggested by Burton White in his book, How to Raise a Happy, Unspoiled Child. On Tuesday, Nate had trouble sleeping and woke up at 11 p.m. with a fever of 102. I called the ped, who told me to give him Tylenol and take him to the ER if he still had a fever in 48 hours. By Wednesday, the fever had broken, but he was still fussy and cranky, so we stayed in. He went down for his first nap in the crib, but wouldn't eat solids. Was OK playing on the floor as usual. On Thursday, he was still fussy and cranky, so I called the nurseline at the ped's office and she told me to nurse and snuggle Nate a lot, and not to worry about pushing solids. So this is what we did on Thursday and again today. Today, he slept until 6:30 in his crib, and then until 10:30 in bed w/ me, which is highly unusual. He napped on me for a long time during the day, and breastfed on demand. Every time I put him down today, he screamed bloody murder and if I moved more than 2 feet away, he would cry the scared cry and crawl quickly toward my feet (his sign that he wants to be picked up). I tried offering him solids again today, but he wouldn't eat them in his high chair. He would, however, take Os from me while sitting on the floor, and later crawled over to eat a teething biscuit. And when his dad came home, he played happily with him on the floor for a good hour, while I took a much-needed bath. When we stripped him down for his bath, he had a rash on his trunk, but not on his arms or legs. He went down to sleep OK in his crib.

So I'm curious if anyone has any idea what is going on. Is he testing me or does he really just feel crummy? I suppose what happens over the weekend with his dad home too will be a good way of figuring it out, but I am curious if anyone else has dealt with this or has any input at what could be going on here.

TIA,

flagger
11-07-2003, 09:43 PM
Without the part about the rash and the fever, it sounds like separation anxiety to me. Doesn't that normally kick in around or just after the ninth month? Sorry I don't have any answers on how to deal with it though.

momtoemma
11-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Based on the fact that your son had a fever for a day or two first and then developed a rash on his trunk area, you might read up on roseola. My daughter had this a few months ago and had many of the symptoms that you described. She didn't want to eat well, had a fever and was pretty lethargic, then the rash came...all over her stomach and back. I think once the rash appears, the virus has pretty much run its course, and there isn't much you can do as far as treatment goes. My daughter was still didn't have much energy for a day or two after the rash appeared, but she wasn't as fussy. You might read up on it at askdrsears.com. As far as I can tell, it's hard to diagnose this virus until the rash shows up. Good luck and hope your DS gets to feeling better very soon!

Karenn
11-07-2003, 11:02 PM
I'm guessing that he just feels poorly. I know that when Colin has been sick, it takes awhile for him to get back to his normal self. For several days, his behavior will still be off- extra clingy, not interested in food- even when the other symptoms seem to be gone. Could he have an ear infection? You might visit Dr. Sears' website and look up what he has to say about rashes too.

If this is out of character for him, I wouldn't think that he's testing you. When Colin is testing me, he's ususally more like his happy cheerful self while he does it. :P (Can I tell you how many times he tried to stand on the furniture today?!) It's been a lot easier to recognize the testing than I expected it to be. I think it may be the kind of thing that a person will easily notice if they're looking for it, but might over look if they're not watching for it.

HTH,

lukkykatt
11-07-2003, 11:04 PM
If he is still not eating well and has a rash, my guess would be that he is not feeling totally well yet. IMHO, I would wait until he is symptom-free before I started thinking that something else is going on. I always baby my babies when they're not feeling well, and as soon as they are, it is back to the norm. I've never had any problems doing this.

jubilee
11-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Your poor little guy, I think he feels crummy. With a rash and fever, I certainly wouldn't feel at my best either! I hope you are doing okay, a sick little one takes quite a toll on mommy too!! By the way, would you recommend the book? I have Burton White's other book, which I like.

lisams
11-07-2003, 11:10 PM
That sounds like how my DD acts when she isn't feeling well. I hope things get better soon!
Lisa

C99
11-07-2003, 11:19 PM
I really like the book. It seems that he does give concrete instructions of what to do, to a certain extent, which I think is helpful. I was thinking of getting The First Three Years as well since it's supposed to be more in-depth in terms of development expectations. I think I will get it -- thanks for the recommendation! (and thanks to Beth for recommending the books in the first place)

Yes, today was rather trying. We didn't move off the couch except for diaper changes and cups of tea. We did what I do when I'm sick, which is to veg out/nap in front of the TV (I figure one or 2 days of this won't hurt him, since he normally doesn't watch TV). It sounds like it was roseola -- thanks to whoever posted that -- so I'm glad that I've been "babying my baby." :)

Momof3Labs
11-07-2003, 11:59 PM
Yep, I agree - that sounds like a sick/teething Colin, too.

heytootsy
11-08-2003, 11:14 AM
Roseola!
Maya had this a few weeks ago, and it seems to be going around the Chicago area. She had a fever of 103. I took her to the doctor because she had the exact same symptoms. There is no treatment, and once the fever breaks, they break out with a rash, typically on theur chest. I bet that is what was wrong. After the rash, everything seems to go away. Hope he's feeling better!