PDA

View Full Version : Lisa (nigele)

Marisa6826
11-08-2003, 07:49 PM
How are you doing with Tom?? I think about you guys every day (but I lost your number)!!!

-m

nigele
11-08-2003, 08:13 PM
Marisa,

I thought you were just ignoring me. LOL, just kidding! Tom is doing GREAT! The post-op is going so well for him - especially compared to his lens removal post-op. He is even (somewhat) cooperative with his eyedrops this time. (My sister told me they are probably soothing to his sore eye.) We had his first post-op on Wednesday and so far, so good. Of course we are waiting another few weeks with our fingers crossed that the surgery was successful.

I've been thinking of you and Sophie and wondered about her infection. I do hope she is okay, the poor little thing!

Take care!

Lisa

Marisa6826
11-09-2003, 01:05 AM
Sophie's doing MUCH better and she's to the point where she doesn't even cry when I do the antibiotic drops. Her eyes are still a little pink, but not anything like they were. And no Tylenol/Motrin for days now.

The atropine is another beast entirely, since I think it must sting and burn when I put them in. :(

She sees the little bottle and covers her eyes. Poor Lamb.

I have to admit that in a flurry of exhaustion, barfing dogs, ringing phone and crying baby I put the atropine in the wrong eye the other day, so now both of them are dilated. Since they're both straight it was hard to tell which one was which. You try to be as fast as possible and look what happens.

The worst part is that I didn't even realize it till the next day. BAAAAD Mommy.

-m

nigele
11-09-2003, 08:36 AM
I'm glad she's doing better! Any idea how/why she got an infection?

This sounds really stupid but I am wondering just how long it will take for the redness to disappear completely since I want to have Tom's Christmas portraits done. (How bad a Mommy does that make me?!) The bruise on his eye is actually starting to yellow now (which looks even worse than when it was completely red).

Marisa6826
11-09-2003, 10:58 AM
The doctors think that she may have already HAD the infection but the Pred-G was masking it. When I stopped after the prescribed seven days, it became opportunistic and turned full-blown.

Since she's crawling around and rubbing her eyes, that's probably what happened. As we all know, it's near impossible to continually keep a 10 month old's hands clean. It doesn't help that we have two dogs either.

They gave me TobraDex drops that are now doing the trick. I am, however, putting them in BOTH eyes so that the infection doesn't become transient.

As far as the bruising/redness/swelling goes - well Sophie's two weeks and two days out from her surgery. She's still a tiny bit swollen, her lid is slightly pink on one eye (kind of like a newborn's - you can see the little blood vessels) as are the corners of her eyes. And if she looks to the side, I can still see her stitches. The PO said that it takes a good 5-6 weeks for them to dissolve.

I'd say you might want to wait on those pictures unless you can get them retouched.

-m