PDA

View Full Version : Getting leg caught in rails of crib...Is it time to move to a bed?

MelissaTC
11-09-2003, 05:07 PM
The past few times Matthew has slept in his crib, he has gotten his leg caught in the rails of the crib. He scared me the first time because he began to scream bloody murder and I was freaked out. I went into his room to find his little leg stuck.

He is not tall enough to scooch over his crib rails but I do seem him attempting to climb out of his crib. Is it time to move on? The leg getting caught in the rails is freaking me out...

flagger
11-09-2003, 07:45 PM
It is doubtful he could do serious damage to his leg without some serious gymnastics. I would think after a couple of times of doing it, he would learn 'Maybe this is not such a good idea".

muskiesusan
11-09-2003, 08:15 PM
We had this problem with Nicholas, but I was afraid he wasn't mature enough for a big bed so it pretty much became a nightly occurance that I would go in and unstick him. I can't speak for all babies, but he was doing this in his sleep and wasn't aware what was going on, so it wasn't something he could learn to avoid, and since he was screaming while he was sleeping, was never able to unstick himself.

I did this for probably six months until we did move him into a big bed at 22 months b/c he was climbing out of his crib. I have to admit the move was so smooth I wish I had done it earlier to save me from waking up all those nights!

I would probably wait a bit longer to see if it is something that keeps happening or is just a phase.

Susan
WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01
& Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!

MelissaTC
11-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the advice. This is definitely happening while he is asleep, not something he is doing for fun. We are going to wait it out and see if it happens again.

gour0
11-10-2003, 11:49 AM
Would one of those crib tent things help? I'm not sure, but doesn't it cover the whole thing with netting or something?
Here's what I mean:

http://www.totsinmind.com/products/bugnet.html