PDA

View Full Version : what are your all-time favorite "dumb" movies?

etwahl
11-09-2003, 06:23 PM
i have a hard time picking favorites of anything, especially movies, but i was thinking recently that i have probably seen Dumb and Dumber like 30 times. every time it's on tv, i will watch it. i just think it's hilarious. i have lots of favorite serious movies, but i tend not to want to watch them more than once or twice...but seriously silly movies i will watch over and over again. adam sandler movies for one - i love billy madison and wedding singer. there are lots, but my mind isn't bringing them up at the moment. what are your favorites?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

jojo2324
11-09-2003, 06:36 PM
LOL...

There's Something About Mary
Meet the Parents
The Wedding Singer

Argh, there are so many I'm forgetting right now!! Of course, then there's the category of Silly Romantic Movies, and that list includes Pretty Woman, Dirty Dancing, Can't Buy Me Love...

stillplayswithbarbies
11-09-2003, 06:47 PM
Monty Python and the Search For The Holy Grail!

once upon a time, I could quote most of the dialogue. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

jubilee
11-09-2003, 06:52 PM
Weekend at Bernie's ... my husband just dies with laughter at the waterskiing scene!

etwahl
11-09-2003, 06:56 PM
OMG - i can't believe i left out MEET THE PARENTS!!!! I LOVE THAT MOVIE! when it was playing on hbo, i probably watched it once a day for a month...no jokes. ask evan. it was when i was pregnant, and he'd come home and see it on tv and say "you're watching it AGAIN?!" but the bigger question, when is Meet the Fockers coming out? is it still being made?

i thought of another - Office Space. i worked at a company exactly like that and just find it hilarious.

can't buy me love was one of my favorites way back when. i have seen that one a ton. i remember wanting the popular girl's wardrobe. she had some great clothes :)

edited to say my favorite romantic comedy has to be bridget jones diary.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

etwahl
11-09-2003, 06:58 PM
just thought of a few more...my favorite christmas classic - national lampoons christmas vacation (just picked it up on dvd at target)...and love american pie 1 and 2 (haven't seen 3 yet).

edited to add ROAD TRIP, Tommy Boy and Happy Gilmore. evan loves zoolander.

i'm not embarrassed to admit that i've come close to peeing my pants on more than one occasion watching these movies!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

jojo2324
11-09-2003, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I'm waiting for Meet the Fockers too!!! C'mon already! I haven't heard that they aren't making it, but then I haven't heard it's being made either.

DH and I are trying to find a way to sneak off and see Elf, the new movie with Will Ferrell. There's one commercial that's literally just him burping, followed by him saying, "Did you HEAR that?!?!" I can't WAIT!! :)

And I am quite beside myself waiting for Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, though I'm curious to see how they side step the whole Colin Firth (hmmmmmmmm) situation. I heard she might interview George Clooney in the movie...But then didn't they date? Wouldn't that be awkward?

I should really be working at US Weekly.

momathome
11-09-2003, 07:23 PM
I love Caddyshack and Vacation - I can watch them over and over again without getting tired of them. I am also a big fan of Dumb and Dumber. Sad, but true! My favorite comedies that are not particularly stupid are Seems Like Old Times and Bullets Over Broadway - love them!
-Lauren

nohomama
11-09-2003, 07:24 PM
How about that 80s classic "Valley Girl" with Nicholas Gage (his debut, I believe). It's more along the lines of romantic comedy rather than silly movie, but it's silly nonetheless. I really loved "A Fish Called Wanda" way back when but other than that and two that have already been mentioned ("Something About Mary" and "Meet the Parents") I'm drawing a blank.

etwahl
11-09-2003, 07:43 PM
love valley girl. i love the music from that movie. i actually tend to like some movies more because of the music.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

etwahl
11-09-2003, 07:45 PM
favorite dumb and dumber moment - harry in the toilet and then finding out the toilet's broken. call me crazy, but i've always liked fart and poop jokes. i guess that's probably one reason i'm so obsessed with my lauren's poop :)

funny, i haven't seen dumb and dumberer...i'm just not sure i'd like it? anyone else seen it?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

etwahl
11-09-2003, 07:46 PM
i love christmas movies. elf looks funny, though i've only seen one commercial briefly. i used to be religious about watching entertainment tonight. then i had lauren...and i never watch it anymore. actually for some reason, our cable doesn't get it anymore, but i don't watch any of the other entertainment shows either (or the news for that matter). i feel so OUT of it!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

flagger
11-09-2003, 07:50 PM
Revenge of the Nerds
CaddyShack
Seems like Old Times
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
The Sure Thing
Better Off Dead "I want my two Dollars!!!"

And JoJo, Meet the Fokkers is scheduled for a Christmas 2004 release.

himom
11-09-2003, 07:52 PM
My favorite funny/dumb movies are Sally Field in Soapdish and Goldie Hawn in Overboard. I'll watch those over and over and still laugh.

Then there is my weakness for Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. It's a sickness, I know, but the Grim Reaper just cracks me up.

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

nigele
11-09-2003, 07:53 PM
LOL, we have the same taste in dumb movies!

One of my all-time faves is So I Married an Axe Murderer. I also love the Austin Powers movies and Wayne's World. Mike Myers is so funny!

etwahl
11-09-2003, 07:54 PM
ack, another year for meet the fokkers??? (oops, forgot about the spelling change!!) dang! planes, trains & automobiles. i remember seeing that in the theatre. john candy used to be one of my favorite actors.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

billysmommy
11-09-2003, 07:57 PM
My all-time fave is What About Bob? Every time we get a fish we name it Gill :) Christmas vacation and A Christmas Story....I love when they do the 24 hour marathon of A Christmas Story on Christmas eve and day :)
Also love anything with Adam Sandler, Billy Madison, Mr Deeds, Wedding Singer
And all the Austin Powers (Goldmember not quite as much) and I'm sure I could keep naming some.
Tammy, I agree...I love fart and poop jokes too :) I love in Dumb and Dumber when they are on the scooter and they get stuck to each other :)

billysmommy
11-09-2003, 07:59 PM
I totally forgot about So I Married an Axe Murderer...I've watched that one so many times

jojo2324
11-09-2003, 08:10 PM
Okay, remembered my top two!!

Trading Spaces (Dan Ackroyd and Eddie Murphy)
Coming to America (Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall)

LOVE those!!

billysmommy
11-09-2003, 08:14 PM
I can't believe I totally forgot about Clue....DH thinks it is the stupidest movie ever but my brothers and I absolutely love it - we have even staged most of the movie :)

flagger
11-09-2003, 08:19 PM
Since this is for Dumb movies, I should add in my two favourites as well.

The Princess Bride
Spaceballs

Momof3Labs
11-09-2003, 08:37 PM
OMG - I love Clue! I've seen that movie probably 40 times!! Every other line is funny, you just have to pay attention or you miss half of the jokes!

jojo2324
11-09-2003, 08:51 PM
Forgot Bowfinger!! (Noticing an Eddie Murphy trend?) I know that one had some mixed reviews, but I thought it was hilarious.

And then Blazing Saddles.

MelissaTC
11-09-2003, 08:54 PM
Some of my favorites...

Best in Show - I watch it whenever it is on tv...I LOVE IT!
Dumb and Dumber
Road Trip
Big Daddy
Meet the Parents
There's Something About Mary
So I Married an Axe Murderer and any other Mike Meyers for that matter
Bringing Down the House was hysterical!
Super Troopers was pretty off the wall
The Water Boy
Rat Race - DH & I LOVE this movie!!!

and many of the movies you all mentioned...

p.s. I love stupid Pauly Shore movies too like In the Army Now, Encino Man, Son-In-Law, etc..

MelissaTC
11-09-2003, 08:55 PM
DH & I LOVE Bowfinger!! That was a great movie!!

ktdid74
11-09-2003, 08:59 PM
I love dumb movies- laughing is much better than having to think through a serious movie. Here are my favorites--

Office Space- a must see!! "She's going to see my Oh face"
Ferris Bueller
Airplane!
Happy Gilmore and the Wedding Singer- Adam Sandler is the best!
Dumb and Dumber- I agree with Tammy on the poop jokes. I remember sitting in the theater and almost peeing in my pants from laughing during the broken toilet scene (from what I understand Dumb and Dumberer is awful and only lasted in theaters about a week.)

What a fun thread!!

Momof3Labs
11-09-2003, 09:01 PM
Clue
American Pie
Something about Mary

And I can't believe that no one has mentioned Four Rooms!! It's kind of a dark movie, but still hilarious. The skit with the two kids leaves me rolling on the floor every time... "Don't misbehave!!"

ETA: Liar, Liar

etwahl
11-09-2003, 09:04 PM
i saw dumb and dumber in the theatre also -- on new years eve with a bunch of friends. out of all my friends, i was the only one practically peeing my pants laughing so loud i think the whole theatre was looking at me.

i had this one guy friend back then who used to tell me his "true life" poop stories just because i always laughed so hard. he really thought it was strange that i enjoyed them so much. sick fascination i guess!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

etwahl
11-09-2003, 09:10 PM
speaking of a bit dark...how about fargo?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

nohomama
11-09-2003, 10:13 PM
I LOVE "Fargo." I think you need to have spent some serious time in the upper Midwest or parts of Canada to truly appreciate the lilting accents in that movie. That part isn't fiction. Believe me, it's real. Just say ya to da U.P. today, eh!

"Marge, you okay?"
"Yaaa. I just think I'm gonna puke."

sweetbasil
11-09-2003, 10:20 PM
Hmmm- no new ones here:
Meet the Parents
Tommy Boy
Son In Law
Liar, Liar

I'll keep thinkin, though ;)

Perpetual edits (I'm sure) to add new ones I think of (mommybrain strikes again)!

C99
11-09-2003, 11:02 PM
Better Off Dead
Office Space
A Fish Called Wanda

Annette_C
11-09-2003, 11:09 PM
Those are two of MY very favorite dumb movies, Flagger!!!
I have them both on video but cannot pass them up if I find them playing on tv!
I also like Planes, Trains and Automobiles and most movies with Steve Martin!
Mel Brooks movies are my favorite also!
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

khakismom
11-09-2003, 11:28 PM
My new one is Old School. Love it, love it, love it! Just saw that a few weeks ago for the first time and it is a RIOT! Also, PCU is way stupid, but way funny!! And Tommy Boy, Wedding Singer, Happy Gilmore, Wayne's World, Office Space, Austin Powers movies! :)

Marisa6826
11-09-2003, 11:37 PM
Gotta say Deuce Bigalo Male Gigilo.

Also:

Raising Arizona
Something About Mary
Bubble Boy
Kingpin (Woody Harrelson and Randy Quaid about the Amish Bowler)
Princess Bride

-m

luvbeinmama
11-09-2003, 11:46 PM
See, I would classify those as "spoof" movies, not "dumb" movies.

I have to say I really avoid dumb for dumb's sake movies (can't stand most of the vacation movies and wouldn't dream of seeing Dumb & Dumber, et al). I do like spoof movies, though.

BUT I LOVE some of the movies mentioned here. Princess Bride, So I Married an Axe Murderer, Trading Places.

I like Revenge of the Nerds, Overboard, Soapdish, Blazing Saddles (most Mel Brooks movies), Ferris Bueller.

And since we are going to add spoofs in here, I have to mention Galaxy Quest!! The spoof for all us Trekkies!!

MelissaTC
11-09-2003, 11:55 PM
I totally forgot about Old School. I LOVED it! and PCU! I love that one too! And Tommy Boy! Wow...I guess I just love cheezy dumb movies...LOL...

zen_bliss
11-10-2003, 03:09 AM
great topic. i am going to have to check out can't buy me love. missed that somehow.

ok, maybe not dumb but anything that has dialogue that gets worked into conversation and continues to make me giggle

The Big Lebowski
L.A. Story
oh, i have lost count how many times we have watched these two.

Adaptation
Rushmore
Sixteen Candles
Night Shift (michael keaton & henry winkler)
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
Office Space "i'm just not gonna... go... anymore..."
Fargo
Beverly Hills Cop (& basically anything 80s heyday eddie murphy)
Monty Python's the Holy Grail
Princess Bride

lukkykatt
11-10-2003, 09:05 AM
We love Office Space too! We were just watching some of it last night.

My other favorite is Raising Arizona - I must have seen it at least 8 times.

McQ
11-10-2003, 12:49 PM
Sixteen Candles!!!

You all have covered the rest. Pretty much any John Cusack movie, plus Adam Sandler, David Spade and now lets add Will Ferrell in the mix. Can you tell I love SNL!

Fun post. I'm sitting at my desk with a silly smirk on my face just thinking about this.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

elvisfan
11-10-2003, 01:42 PM
My favorite is Mommie Dearest, the absolutely so-bad-it's-funny-when-it's-supposed to be serious movie ever made. It's the life stroy of Joan Crawford who supposedly beat her kids. Well, by the time it's over, you're cheering for Joan!!!! The acting is overdramatic, the costumes rock(think 1940s Hollywood), the lines are bad("I'm not made at you, I'm mad at the dirt")....but it has such a cult following!!!People actually have Mommie Dearest parties where they hand out tiny wire hangers as favors!!!

mharling
11-10-2003, 01:57 PM
This is the exact list I was going to post!

Better Off Dead is one of my all-time faves! And no, ds is not named after John Cusack's character. :) Office Space is a close second.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osnt.jsp?i=67b0de21b356c32425b2 - Halloween Pics!

drsweetie
11-10-2003, 04:49 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned my all-time favorite:

The Blues Brothers ("We have both kinds of music -- country AND western")

Ellen
Mom to Laura 6/9/03

MartiesMom2B
11-10-2003, 10:17 PM
Lisa. I love love love So I Married an Axe Murderer. Mike and I always say regarding the colonol "Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes you crave forenightly smart@ss." LOL. I'm laughing now. Oh and don't get me started if we someone with a big head. LOL. I'm still laughing.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

MartiesMom2B
11-10-2003, 10:19 PM
Jodi:

I always watch Overboard if its on tv, which its on a lot. DH always complains!

Sonia

MartiesMom2B
11-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Tammy:

I've heard some hilarious poop stories too while I was in college. We should share them sometime.

Sonia

Torey
11-10-2003, 10:55 PM
Better Off Dead is one of my absolutely favorite movies. I don't know why but most people haven't seen it and don't know that it is the BEST '80s movie out there. Absolutely the funniest movie EVER!!!!

egoldber
11-10-2003, 11:09 PM
LOL! Lots of "good" movies here.

Our all-time fav is Real Genius (gotta love that young Val Kilmer). Other favs:

Bull Durham
Some Kind of Wonderful
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Highlander
The Blues Brothers (more DH than me)
A Fish Called Wanda (more me than DH)
Dirty Dancing (OK, totally me)
Pretty Woman
The Princess Bride

Eeks! Are we children of the 80's or what????

jubilee
11-10-2003, 11:38 PM
I saw the blonde in an interview on Regis and Kelly a few weeks ago and she said they had wrapped up shooting the film. She was on to plug her new show "I'm with Her", so they didn't talk about the movie much...but it is coming out!