PDA

View Full Version : good air filtration unit

sntm
11-09-2003, 07:35 PM
my reliance on the humidifier during jack's prolonged cold seems to have led to some funky mold growth or something, which may explain why he continues to be a coughing, wheezing, runny nosed little boy. {heavy guilt} DH noticed the smell in his room today.

so, we have turned off the humidifier and are purging his room of everything and going to attack with cans of lysol, but also want to get a good air filtration unit. preferably not one that costs $350 like the sharper image one, but if it really is worth it then tell me and we'll make it the family x-mas present.

i feel like i've poisoned my baby! sick nursery sydrome...
bad mama.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

sntm
11-11-2003, 04:40 PM
shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

flagger
11-11-2003, 04:43 PM
I don't know what type you have, but we have the holmes unit (Cool mist) and we had left on vacation with water in it. YUCK. It was this pink gross algae. So we had to buy a brand new one for Cocoa's room.

I then put the bottom part (not the motor), the filter and the tank in the bathtub and added some Clorox and let if soak for a few hours. It was as good as new. It would be worth a try. We wiped the motor part as best we could with some Clorox wipes.

BTW, the Sharper Image one consistently fairs very poorly in Consumer Reports tests.

sntm
11-11-2003, 05:02 PM
We have the slant fin and it did have some stuff in it which we cleaned out, but the smell seems to be in the room (so says DH -- I can't smell it but think I've been desensitized over the years to foul odors.)

Do you (or anyone) have access to the consumer reports evaluations? last time i checked you couldn't look stuff up unless you had a subscription to the magazine. good to know about the sharper image one, though. maybe that's why they are resorting to infomercials now.

shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

flagger
11-11-2003, 05:19 PM
I looked at Consumer Reports and the last time they show air cleaners was in 2000 and the report is no long online. I found something from October of this year but it was not really about ratings, just said in the article that the SI one was not effective in their tests.