PDA

View Full Version : Colin has started signing to us!!!

Momof3Labs
11-10-2003, 08:34 PM
I don't often post a brag about Colin, but since we were talking about signing with our babies a month ago, I wanted to share our excitement!

We've been watching the first Signing Times DVD daily with Colin for about 3 weeks or so now. He looooves it!! About 1.5 weeks ago, he started patting his tummy. I'd get excited and say "dog"! At first, he looked surprised, then he started getting excited. A few days ago, he started playing around with the sign for milk while sitting in his high chair. And today he did "fish" a couple of times (and the context was spot on - "milk" and "dog" were kind of out of context the first few times). When we put on the DVD today, he was actually doing his signs while he was watching.

We are so excited about this, particularly because he has only a few verbal words, and his usage of them doesn't always make sense. Not that we aren't getting along royally with pointing and grunting (alllll day long) but it's nice to be able to communicate in a different way.

On a side note, our ped was a little concerned at one year because Colin still hadn't (and still hasn't) clapped. He just isn't one for parlor tricks, it seems. But I'd say that there is no way she'd wonder if there was a problem now - if there was, he certainly wouldn't be signing (IMO)!

peanut4us
11-10-2003, 08:44 PM
Lori that is great news! I'm so delighted for you guys.

Andrea S
11-10-2003, 08:45 PM
Yeah Colin!! I agree signing is a far better achievement then clapping. Colin is probably thinking clapping does not benefit him he was waiting for something worthwhile to do. I hear you on the grunting it gets old quick. Andrew knows a few signs we just added thank-you.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

LucyG
11-10-2003, 08:49 PM
How exciting! Yeah for Colin! I can't wait for DD's first signs!

By the way, I loved your word choice with "parlor tricks!"

egoldber
11-10-2003, 08:49 PM
Yeah for Colin!!!

Interestingly, Sarah also does "dog" by hitting her chest. And she didn't start clapping until she was 14 months or so. And now she's a clapping fool, LOL!! They just do things in their own time.

Hooray!

nigele
11-10-2003, 09:00 PM
Lori,

How exciting! Tom has been watching his Signing Times video for about a week and I can't wait for him to start picking up some signs. He actually started *saying* the word "cat" after seeing it on the video.

BTW, Tom didn't start clapping until 13 months.

alleyoop
11-10-2003, 09:06 PM
Lori,

My Nate, born the same day still isn't clapping either, and only has a few words... so this makes me feel better, too! I was just complaining to my DH the other day that I do signs all the time and DS hasn't done even one back. At this rate, he will learn the words first! But today, he did the sign for fan! What a strange first sign that is.

I was thinking it was too late to do the videos. Maybe I will re-think them.

egoldber
11-10-2003, 09:07 PM
LOL! Sarah's first sign was fan. Who knew how important fans were in the life of a baby???

pritchettzoo
11-10-2003, 09:20 PM
Yay for Colin!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

Karenn
11-11-2003, 01:44 AM
Isn't it just the most exciting thing?! I never cease to be amazed by all that babies are able to tell us with sign!

And, as long as we're all sharing- Colin didn't clap for clapping's sake until a few weeks ago. He would clap as his sign for more, but not because he was excited or anything. And, he also pats his tummy for dog. I figure that his little arm just can't reach all the way down to his leg. :)

Congratulations on Colin's first signs!

newbelly2002
11-11-2003, 08:14 AM
Yay for Colin! The advent of communication is so amazing, isn't it? I was actually going to start a post today about the same thing. Must be something in the air. Then again, Colin and Dante have been partners-in-crime for a while now, no?

Dante has been signing for bath (his favorite thing in the world besides "dogs") for a litle while, but it was usually predicated by one of us saying "shower" or "bath." Then today, just around 12:30 he looked at me and rubbed his tummy (a sign he developed out of us saying "yum...." and rubbing our bellies when he likes something into a sign for hunger). Then he ran to his high chair and put his hands in the air. I nearly fell over with surprise.

My little boy not only has, but can now communicate his wishes and desires. I'm in absolute awe.

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

houseof3boys
11-11-2003, 09:51 AM
Lori that is the coolest.

I know you guys are very proud of the little cutie pie.

Awesome.

jojo2324
11-11-2003, 10:20 AM
Lori, that's great!! Gannon isn't really getting the signs yet, but I do think he did the sign for dog a few weeks ago!! Something about those canines...

He *might* have done the sign for ball the other day, but then he could have been clapping his hands. (And he really JUST started to clap on a regular basis. And pointing really took off a couple of weeks ago! So that's why I was really looking forward to him signing as well.)

cinrein
11-11-2003, 10:31 AM
Yay Colin and Lori!! How exciting for you guys! I can't wait for Anna to start signing. That My First Signs video is magic for us, well me. No matter how crabby Anna is, I pop that video in and she's completely fascinated with it for the entire 30 minutes!

What is the sign for fan, or what video is it on? Anna loves fans. If you ask her where the fan is she now knows to look up at it.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

parkersmama
11-11-2003, 10:38 AM
That's great, Lori! I still remember the boys first signs because they were so monumental! All of the signs were fun but the ones having to do with food and other needs were the most helpful because they could finally communicate that they needed something without fussing about it! Eureka! There is no doubt in my mind that them using signs made toddlerhood a thousand times easier. My friends who didn't sign with their babies were in awe and to this day both my boys are very good verbal communicators...more so than their peers (just in case anyone out their is still worried that signing will cause language delays!). Colin is on a roll now!!

cchavez
11-11-2003, 10:44 AM
That is so cool!

Btw, when is the best age to start using these DVDs? Thanks.

McQ
11-11-2003, 11:05 AM
Lori ~ that's such wonderful news. These tykes never cease to amaze me. Enjoy!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

amp
11-11-2003, 11:19 AM
That's wonderful! You sound like such a proud mama! Yay Colin! This will greatly expand your communication. And it sounds like he's pretty proud of himself too!

stillplayswithbarbies
11-11-2003, 12:26 PM
We started watching it at about 6 months. Now at 7 months, Logan signs "milk" when she wants to nurse. It is so awesome to see this tiny person communicate.

The videos are fun to watch and will capture baby's attention even before they can understand them.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

cdlamis
11-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Heather- we just started watching the videos with Julia at 15 months and it was not too late at all. She has learned so many new signs since we started watching them. I think the videos helped me learn the signs too so I would reinforce the new signs all day long.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32dc745c42b

cdlamis
11-11-2003, 01:05 PM
Congrats Lori and Colin! It gets even better and more exciting since he will probably start learning new signs like crazy. I think it took Julia a few signs to realize what it meant to sign and how excited we got for her. Now she picks up new signs every week.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32dc745c42b

liya
11-11-2003, 03:13 PM
WOOOHOOO FOR COLIN!!!!! YAYYYYYY!! Congrats to the proud mama and adorable baby....They grow up so fast :'(

deborah_r
11-11-2003, 08:15 PM
Oh wow, I didn't know you could start so early - I'll have to get geared up for this. That's amazing to me that Logan can sign for milk already!

And way to go Colin!!!