PDA

View Full Version : Should I Even Bother(Regarding Christmas)?

elvisfan
11-11-2003, 01:14 AM
My older dd is going back to NH with my MIL and DH will be in training from the end of November until the end of December. It will be me and my 6 month old at home. So, the question is....
Should I get a tree, decorate and so on? Because this will be the last Christmas in our own home before I really want to...but since no one-save for me and the baby-will be around to enjoy it, I figure "Why?"
Can you all help me to get motivated to decorate? lol

ddmarsh
11-11-2003, 10:15 AM
Mary of *course* you have to decorate! First, you must have pictures of that sweet baby's first Christmas and what would that be like without a tree! Secondly, I think it sounds kind of nice in a way - you will have very little stress of dealing with tons of relatives, etc. and will be able to have a laid-back baby-and-you Christmas. Since you don't have to worry about a big meal maybe you could even make a batch of your very favorite cookies and have them all to yourself :). If you really don't want the hassle of a big tree you could still get a smaller one and use your favorite ornaments to decorate it.

Heck if you're feeling a bit blue I could give you a hand and send my in-laws over to help you celebrate ;).

emilyf
11-11-2003, 10:16 AM
I would definitely do something, but you might not need to go as all out as you normally would. Maybe a smaller tree than usual. You will want to take some pictures of the baby in front of the tree. Maybe plan to have a couple of friends over to help you decorate? We didn't do anything last year-ds was only a month old, and we were getting ready to move, but the house did feel sort of sad without it. Besides, you can leave it up until your dh gets home and do a special Christmas a little late.
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

cinrein
11-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Well, I had a tree my first year living by myself on my own even thought I went back to my parents for Christmas. Then again, I am a Christmas fool!

I would decorate at least a small one. Your baby will love to look at the lights and it is her first Christmas. Plus as someone pointed out, it will be nice for your DH when he gets home.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

Momof3Labs
11-11-2003, 10:41 AM
Babies loooooove Christmas lights! Colin was a little younger last year, but was entranced by our Christmas tree. I'd suggest just setting up a smaller tree so that it is less work for you, but still feels like Christmas. Besides, it sounds like this will be a rough year for you - would the tree brighten your spirits?

amp
11-11-2003, 11:23 AM
I think you should do it. Right now it may not seem exciting to you, but I would venture to guess that if you didn't do it, later on you might start to feel kind of lonely around Christmastime. And I would think that your child will love to look at all the lights and sparkly ornaments. It really is a special time that is so wonderful. And even though it's about family and some of yours won't be there, it's still a time to be thankful for family, and your child can start to learn about that (granted, not on any grand scale). When you decorate, you can talk about the special ornaments or decorations, "Daddy & I bought this together.", etc. It might make it more special for both of you.

deborah_r
11-12-2003, 06:38 PM
I agree, you should definitely do something to celebrate and acknowldege the holidays. I'm so sorry you will not have more family around to celebrate with, but as someone else said, that could make for a wonderful, peaceful first Christmas with your baby! Low stress, no fights or tension amongst family members to deal with. You seem like a very strong person, and I know you can make the best of it!!