PDA

View Full Version : What was your first concert?

McQ
11-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Duran Duran played in town over the weekend and the local radio stations gave them some good air time. I loved Duran Duran when I was kid so it got me thinking of all the fun bands from growing up. I like new music too but just love the stuff from the 80s.

The first group I ever saw perform live was Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. I remember thinking how much fun that day was. So what was your first concert?

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

cdlamis
11-11-2003, 12:57 PM
Little embarassed to admit this but mine was Debbie Gibson!

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32dc745c42b

mharling
11-11-2003, 01:10 PM
Billy Joel & Elton John. AWESOME!!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osnt.jsp?i=67b0de21b356c32425b2 - Halloween Pics!

heva
11-11-2003, 01:11 PM
Billy Joel, the Bridge tour at the now defunct Capitals Center in Landover MD. Woo!

lisams
11-11-2003, 01:13 PM
This is sooooo embarassing but Milli Vanilli (I was like 12 and it was a 4th of July concert). My second one was Richard Marx.

Jeanmick
11-11-2003, 01:14 PM
I have to say that it was Duran Duran at the height of their popularity! I remember skipping a couple of college classes so I could stand in line to purchase a couple of tickets! I had nosebleed seats, but still had a lot of fun!!! :)

My husband's first concert was Elton John in 1974 at the San Diego Sports Arena. Great concert, "Caribou" was his current album at the time.

slknight
11-11-2003, 01:38 PM
Ah, the good old Caps Center. I saw The Cure there, although not for my first concert.

My first concert was General Public.

stillplayswithbarbies
11-11-2003, 02:07 PM
<sigh> I feel old. My first concert was David Cassidy.

I was about 13, and the Girl Scout troop rented a bus and went as a field trip.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

amp
11-11-2003, 02:46 PM
I highly regret to say that my first concert was Kenny Rogers. Not that he's terrible, but certainly not anything exciting! Later, as I got to be more of a teenager I saw Huey Lewis, Rick Springfield, Corey Hart, etc. Later in college I went to lots of concerts my fav concerts were Depeche Mode, The Cure, Sinead O'Connor, REM, INXS, etc. I haven't been to a concert in soooo long!

LisaMom2Allie
11-11-2003, 02:50 PM
Bon Jovi-wow that really seems like a long time ago.

Lisa
Mom to Allie Nicole
3-10-03

elvisfan
11-11-2003, 02:58 PM
><sigh> I feel old. My first concert was David Cassidy.
>
>I was about 13, and the Girl Scout troop rented a bus and
>went as a field trip.
>
>...Karen
>Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
>Logan Elizabeth Mar 03
OMG-I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeee David Cassidy. Seriously. I woud all over that like white on rice.
As for me, my first concert was (blushing madly) Nelson..you know, Ricky Nelson's sons..the twins...

etwahl
11-11-2003, 03:07 PM
haha - motley crue :)

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

zen_bliss
11-11-2003, 03:20 PM
rick springfield. saw him twice as a preteen, and again about 4 years ago in san diego with my best friend from 2nd grade as my 'pre-wedding bachelorette' gift to her. and speaking of nelson, they opened for him! i have a great pic of us with the twins. my friend named her dog gunnar.

wow, the memories this brings back... concertgoing was a major part of pittsburgh high school life. now i just can't stand crowds! i saw bryan adams, foreigner, genesis, starship, sting, a-ha, reo speedwagon, boston, billy joel, rush (again in college), depeche mode (again about 2 years ago, with DH who was surprised to enjoy it), love & rockets, mighty lemon drops, the cure (in ireland), waterboys (ditto), pink floyd....

bluej
11-11-2003, 04:03 PM
Kenny Loggins, back in his Top Gun days. Yeah, that was a long time ago.

rorycam
11-11-2003, 04:04 PM
This is going to age me, but my first concert was Woodstock, except I can't remember it because I was only 5 months old. My parents (who were hippie grad students at the time) took me and my 4-year-old brother. According to my parents, I slept just fine despite all the noise, and was breastfeeding and happy when I was awake, and supposedly my favorite performance was The Who (how they could tell that I'm not sure--they claim to have just "felt it," lol). I sometimes wonder how we survived childhood with parents who thought it was a good idea to take a baby to Woodstock, but we made it, and to look at my parents now you would never guess they were once flower children.:) The first concert I actually remember going to was the Go-Go's when I was about 12.

Rory

barbarhow
11-11-2003, 04:07 PM
James Taylor-a free concert in Central Park. Wow was it amazing. A gorgeous summer day with 250,000 people. I was in high school and with my nyc best friend and just knew that she was cooler than cool as we walked into the park.
I love David Cassidy! or the Partridge Family I should say-totally dating myself-I still have some of their albums from when I was a kid........
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

khakismom
11-11-2003, 04:08 PM
Ah, reliving youth! Is there anything better? :)

My first was when my cousins snuck me into a B-52s concert in 1983 (I was 13 and my parents wouldn't allow me to go). Next was Berlin and Thompson Twins in 1984 and the following month The Boss--Born in the USA tour! Awesome show! :)

DDowning
11-11-2003, 04:08 PM
My first concert was Ratt, the group Poison opened up for them. I was 16 and my boyfriend at the time was into Hard Rock. I dressed the part, big hair, short skirt, High Heels. My clothes were so tight, even security wouldn't frisk me when I went though. Definitely my father's nightmare. Ahhh, to have a butt that small again.......sigh.....

pritchettzoo
11-11-2003, 05:01 PM
cough*newkidsontheblock*cough

My best friend at the time was so in love with all of them. My stepmother had to go with us and it was all very humiliating. I didn't know any of the words, I wasn't screaming/fainting, and my stepmom was taking pictures of us like crazy. ("Stand here by the t-shirt people. Hey, excuse me t-shirt vendor, can you lean over here and smile?") Ugh.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

lisaE
11-11-2003, 05:31 PM
Wow. This is going to make me sound so old- but I was only about six years old at the time. My first concert was the BeeGees. It was so exciting! My poor Mom took me and I am sure she was miserable the whole time. As for me, I still love that 70's disco music!

Lisa

lukkykatt
11-11-2003, 05:59 PM
My father's wife used to work for Electric Factory Concerts, so I saw whoever I wanted to when I was in high school. So, it's hard to remember which band was the very first, but I think either Elvis Costello or Peter Gabriel. I think my choices have stood the test of time (and it was a LONG time ago!)

doubleL
11-11-2003, 06:00 PM
Posts don't usually actually make me LOL, but I have been LOL at many of these, especially prichettzoo :)

I went to Squeeze at Merriweather Post Pavillion when I was about 15 or 16??? Cool For Cats, Up The Junction, Another Nail In My Heart, Pulling Mussels (From The Shell), Tempted, Black Coffee In Bed. Sooooooooooooo fun!!! Oh the memories... I think I'll put that CD on my Christmas list.

Lou
~DS 5.01
~DD 6.03

vikivoly
11-11-2003, 06:02 PM
KISS and Ted Nugent

Ted Nugent shot a flaming arrow at Saddam Hussein's crotch. I caught a guitar pick from KISS - I probably still have it somewhere. I should try to sell it on ebay!

MartiesMom2B
11-11-2003, 06:42 PM
My Dad took me to see the Go-Gos when I was in first grade. Uhm I guess he couldn't get a baby-sitter that night. LOL

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

MartiesMom2B
11-11-2003, 06:44 PM
Lou:

I'm so excited!! That's where I saw the Go-Gos!!!

I've also seen Sting, Kenny Logins, and the Allman Bros. Band there too.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

cdlamis
11-11-2003, 07:21 PM
Anna-
Your post made me laugh out loud! Thats too funny!
Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32dc745c42b

brubeck
11-11-2003, 07:53 PM
This is so funny! I was a Durannie too. I spent about 3 years with them covering my walls. :)

However they were not my first concert. That honor falls to Culture Club. I remember that at the end in the mad rush to the stage I lost a contact lens.

MelissaTC
11-11-2003, 08:07 PM
I guess I am the only one who is going to admit to this. When I was in second grade, my parents took me to see...gulp...Menudo. I LOVED Menudo so much...

My first "real" concert was David Lee Roth and Poison as the opening act...I was 12...and thought it was the best thing in the entire world...

etwahl
11-11-2003, 08:13 PM
allison, just re-read your post and had a funny memory. i was in an air band contest and we did Joan Jett and the Blackhearts! i was a guitarist :) sigh...air bands. do they do those anymore? i was also in a madonna one once, and i can't remember anymore. remember a good friend did loverboy. our school had a couple air band dances. oh, school dances! what memories!!!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

jojo2324
11-11-2003, 08:40 PM
LOL, these have me howling!! My first real concert was Woodstock, but the second one. Conveniently, it took place in my town, so we could honestly walk there. We also crashed the venue like the other half million people. It was pretty weird to hear Aerosmith jamming and have your windows rattle in time to it.

I've been to lots of festivals, U2 (LOVE them), Madonna (LOVE her) and BRITNEY!!!! Yeah, it was my 10-yr old sister's birthday present, but I was belting the songs out right along with Miss Spears. :D

nigele
11-11-2003, 08:43 PM
Hee, hee! I went to the "Ratt Poison" concert, too! I wore hot pink, leopard print leggings. (I can't believe I EVER wore those!)

My first concert was ZZ Top. Boy, that dates me!

JMarie
11-11-2003, 09:00 PM
Me too! We were in the most nose-bleed-i-est seats you could get, but I was in heaven!

Funny story - a couple years ago, I was at a bar in Omaha with my sister, staring at this guy over her shoulder. I knew I recognized him, but couldn't place him. Until a Bachelorette party started screaming "JOEY!!! JOEY!!!"

None other than Joe McIntyre. He's shorter than you think...

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

stillplayswithbarbies
11-11-2003, 09:05 PM
I saw Ratt too! Bon Jovi opened for them, believe it or not. I wore a black leather miniskirt!

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

McQ
11-11-2003, 09:09 PM
Merriweather had some great shows. A bunch of us drove from Ocean City to Merriweather and back in one night just to catch a John Cougar Mellencamp show. It was beach week and man were we stupid. Also saw the Alarm & Bob Dylan there. That was an interesting combo.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

muskiesusan
11-11-2003, 09:14 PM
That was my first concert, too! It was right before they made it big and they played in a local high school gym. Very bad. Unfortunately, I lived in a really small town close to nowhere, so we weren't a popular tour stop.

Susan
WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01
& Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!

Meatball Mommie
11-11-2003, 10:27 PM
Reading this thread was too funny! Brings back lots of memories :)

My first was George Michael...the Faith tour...why my parents let me go see someone who sang "I want your sex" is beyond me (I was in 7th grade).

My second concert was Queensryche, then Metallica (saw them 4 times) and Guns n Roses, so I guess you could say my tastes changed!!

phirey
11-11-2003, 11:19 PM
This thread is too funny!

Mine was ... (hangs head in shame) Brian Adams at whatever the stadium is called in Portland, Oregon. Even worse, I remember my coveted concert t-shirt. It was huge and boxy (everything was XXL in 1984) and just had his name in big block letters, similar to the Frankie-goes-to-Hollywood "Relax" shirts.

Oh, the shame.... :-)

KimberleyDawn
11-11-2003, 11:29 PM
My first concert was Michael Jackson, well actually it was The Jackson 5 Victory Tour in Montreal. It was amazing!!!
Then there was Yes, Brian Adams, Whitney Houston, Poison, Pink Floyd and there were others but I honestly can't remember them (tell you something about my h.s. years).
Kim

Bethann31
11-12-2003, 12:52 AM
We can be old together. I felt old as soon as I saw this thread. Mine was Shaun Cassidy, during the Hardy Boys era, in St. Louis. I was about 12, and wore a new white dress, thinking that surely he would spot me in the crowd and fall in love.

Beth
mom to 3 (13, 11 and 8) and then 1 more (06/04/03)

Bethann31
11-12-2003, 12:55 AM
I lived in L.A. in the mid 80's and hung out with the DJ's from KNAC, the heavy metal station in Long Beach. I saw every metal band (except that awful speed metal)concert for about 3 years. That is so scary now. I'm so dreading the day my 13 year old announces he is going to some concert for some band I can't stand.

Beth
mom to 3 (13, 11 and 8) and then 1 more (06/04/03)

kristie
11-12-2003, 04:27 AM
I can't remeber their name but can remember the lyrics to the song they were famous for:

"Run away train never comeback....."something something "down a one way track. Seems like I should be getting somewhere, somehow I'm never here nor there"????
And the video was where they showed pics of real missing kids.
It was kind of sad to watch the video. Even as a teen when all I wanted was to leave home at times, and then to see these kids that were missing.

What was there name? Started with a "S" i think.
Anyone, anyone?

Last concert I saw was Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.
The one that I wish I could have seen the man in black, Johnny Cash.

Let me know if any of you remember that bands name!

rorycam
11-12-2003, 08:51 AM
Soul Asylum--I remember that video, too, and I think they actually found at least 1 runaway due to it.

Rory

brubeck
11-12-2003, 10:39 AM
Ah Melissa..... but which Menudo was it? The members change so often....

brigmaman
11-12-2003, 11:12 AM
These are so funny!
First concert I wanted to see but never did...Wham!
First concert I sat outside with my Mom waiting for older sis...Bon Jovi
First concert I actually saw...Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers when I was in 8th grade

Wondering about the BEST concerts we've all been too. I had a hard time choosing.

sntm
11-12-2003, 03:05 PM
on my own? Jane's Addiction when I was a freshman in high school, with the Henry Rollins band opening. My mom worked for a radio station and got free tickets, so I took three friends (one of whom I had a mad crush on). All that happened was I lost one of my favorite earrings in the mosh pit and my crush flirted with some other girl. Sigh.

My parents are ex-hippies also so I think I was taken to Yes and "Peter Pampton" (Frampton) and maybe CSNY when I was an infant.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

alkagift
11-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Ok, this sounds older than it was...

Crosby Stills & Nash. Neil Young was out of it in 1983 when I was in the 10th grade. I remember not really liking them, but my girlfriend had tickets and I went. I saw my much older brother across the arena with an actual girl and I realized I was growing up...

Best concert was U2 last year, Peter Gabriel's Shaking the Tree tour as a runner up. Rolling Stones weren't bad in 1993 either.

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03