PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for a VBAC......

muskiesusan
11-11-2003, 09:29 PM
I know some on this board have had VBACs or are considering them for future births, so I just wanted to see if there are any resources/books that would be helpful. Pretty much everyone I have talked to point me to the "VBAC Companion." Are there other good books I should be checking into?

My first cesearan was a result of Nicholas' breech presentation, so in that respect, I am fortunate that I don't have any preconceived notions/fears on how this delivery will go. My midwives are totally on board with the VBAC, and in fact, I wasn't even given the option to schedule an cesarean. I will also have a doula and probably take a Bradley refresher course since I still would like to have a natural birth.

Thanks!

Susan
WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01
& Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!

parkersmama
11-11-2003, 09:53 PM
First off, let me commend you on your decision to have a VBAC!! I have had two VBAC deliveries and I *highly* recommend it! A vaginal birth was so much better in every way, I can't even begin to tell you. I had the same situation that you do...my first was a breech presentation so I had a c-section as soon as my water broke on its own.

I read The VBAC Companion and thought it was a very good book. Another one that I read is [link:www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0897932021/qid=1068603746/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-6792933-0574409?v=glance&s=books|Vaginal Birth After Cesarean: The Smart Woman's Guide to Vbac] . It was a fairly good book. It does get some pretty bad reviews on Amazon, though. I can't remember a lot of details about it. Lots of people recommend, [link:www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0897890272/ref=pd_sim_books_1/002-6792933-0574409?v=glance&s=books|The Silent Knife] . I didn't read it but I think you would like it if you are a Bradley kind of gal. I think it's got a natural parenting type of slant.

One problem I've found is that so many books on VBAC were written *years* ago and haven't been updated and revised. I found it to be very frustrating. I think that having your midwives on board for a VBAC is probably the best thing you can have. Although preparation is very important, having someone you trust who is in your corner is invaluable. With my first VBAC, I had my own doctor who is very pro-VBAC. With my 2nd, I had another doc in the practice who is very conservative. I think that I'd have ended up with another c-section if I hadn't already had one sucessful VBAC under my belt. He really put the pressure on and threw around a lot of scary medical terminology that had my dh freaking out. Argh.

Anyway, hope this helps some and please feel free to email me to talk about this any time! I'd be happy to share more about my experiences with you. :)

egoldber
11-11-2003, 10:10 PM
Susan, I second the recommendation for the "Smart Woman's Guide to VBAC". I felt it was muhc less biased than some of the other books, including the "VBAC Companion" and "Silent Knife".

Another one I really recommend is Flamm's "Birth After Cesarean". He is an OB and has done a tremendous amount of research on VBAC. It is a little dated now, but it really helped me to put to rest some of the fears I had in my mind about VBAC.

Here's a list to a bunch of books:
http://www.childbirth.org/section/book1.html

Other books that would be good in general to prepare for a natural birth are "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" and "Birthing from Within".

Edited to add: Another intersting book is "Misconceptions". While not about VBAC per se, the author had a Cesarean with her first and a failed TOL that ended in C seciton with her second. But it is about the birth experience in general and how much of it is not fact based, but myth based.

HTH,

sugarsnappea
11-12-2003, 08:18 AM
I too, am preparing for a VBAC. You have already climbed an enormous hurdle in selecting a birth team that is supportive. The selection process was the most difficult part for me. RachelS recommended some Henci Goer books to me that were quite informative. I forgot the titles but I was able to find them at surrounding libraries. Good Luck! You are much more prepared than me! :)

MegND1995
11-12-2003, 12:21 PM
Hi Susan,

I seem to remember you are from Cincinnati?! What I wouldn't give for some Graeter's right now!

Congrats on baby #2 and your desire to VBAC. It seems like you are already on the right track, with finding a supportive birth team. And I have read some of the titles recommended by pp and agree that they are helpful.

I had a VBAC after a c/s due to breech. I had a very supportive medical team who did not mention c/s even during a very long (30 hours), intervention filled birth. This time, I am working with a team of midwives who conservatively gauge their VBAC success rate at 90%. So, just wanted to give you some positive success stories with regard to your history and your choice of working with MW's.

One thing I really was NOT prepared for, was that this labor would be like a first time birth. If your c/s was like mine, and planned, you did not experience labor. So, your body will *act" like it would for a first time labor. And mine was long! Not to say that yours will be, of course (and hopefully in won't!), but, I think it's better to have be prepared for a potentially longer labor than you might think.

Good luck to you!!

muskiesusan
11-13-2003, 07:40 PM
Thank you for your suggestions and encouragement. I going to check out the books listed and try to find time to read them! I already feel so out of touch with this pregnancy, with Nicholas I was constantly reading, now I am so busy with him I almost have to remind myself to eat!

Nicholas came two weeks early and labor started with my water breaking. I labored for about 4 hours before the cesarean, so I know of a little that's coming, but not much. I was actually began progressing so fast they were afraid they wouldn't get me prepped in time. Maybe this one will go fast, too!

Meghan-I am from Cincinnati, and I could go for some Graeters, too. I live in the burbs, and there isn't one close enough to me!

Thanks again.

Susan
WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01
& Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!