PDA

View Full Version : Ack! NOW what do I do?!

Rachels
11-12-2003, 04:04 PM
So our little friend we visited in Charlotte a week ago taught Abby the wonderful new skill of climbing. Drat! Today's application of the skill is that she has learned to clamber on top of the toilet seat and is doing her best to get up on the vanity. Yikes! Obviously when we're just hanging out, I can keep the door closed. But she usually wanders around while I take a shower, and this morning I peeked out to see her standing on the toilet lid. Ack, ack! Any ideas for how to stop this so that she can survive the morning AND I can get a shower?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

MelissaTC
11-12-2003, 04:29 PM
I'm sorry Rachel! Matthew has become a climber as well. Showers before she awakens? Or maybe a shower at night? Sorry I can't offer more creative ideas...

:)

flagger
11-12-2003, 04:30 PM
Find new friends who do not teach your daughter bad habits? ;) Just kidding.

Can you not close the door when you shower while she remains in a baby proof area? Get her a crash/bike helmet and let her fall? Maybe assume she won't fall. Tell her she is not allowed to climb up there?

Just some ideas that came across my synapses.

bluej
11-12-2003, 04:47 PM
"Get her a crash/bike helmet and let her fall? "

Okay, that's funny. We actually did do that for Caden b/c he was a major climber and all the discipline in the world couldn't stop him. As soon as we became comfortable w/ his climbing up AND down abilities we removed the helmet. It actually didn't take him too long to become skilled enough to carefully climb. The hardest part was for him to safely climb down from whatever it was he was climbing. We were very fortunate that he never tried to climb up dressers and other furniture that can be unstable. His all time favorites were to climb onto the back of the couch and walk it like a balance beam and to climb on top of the dining room table and twirl the chandelier. I really do discipline my children, really, I do.

Jenmv
11-12-2003, 04:49 PM
If you come up with any good ideas let us know. DD at 10 months has decided that climbing is much more interesting than learning how to walk. The other day she pulled all of the towels off of the bathroom shelf and used them as a step to climb higher up the shelving. She has also climbed onto the door of the dishwasher when the door is open and I have caught her "trying" to climb up the toilet but she is still much too little. It's the fact that she is clearly thinking about it that is so disturbing. She can't even walk yet! AACK! is right.

BTW, I have long since given up showering with her around and do it early morning or late at night while she is sleeping.