PDA

View Full Version : Nursing in Public

farsk
11-12-2003, 11:52 PM
Hello!

Thanks to all of NIP posts and those of you with obviously more knowledge than I....I now come humbly before you to ask for your help!

I saw through one of the posts that Kentucky (where I live) has no specific NIP legislation. I'd like to introduce something like this to protect nursing mothers to our state legislature.

Where do I begin? What information should I include? Although I have never been asked to move (I've only NIPed a handful of times), I'm such a smart-a$$ that I'd love to shoot back some legal-sounding stuff if ever I do encounter someone like Mr. Two-Fingered Disney Point.

Thanks in advance for your help. BTW, I am now boycotting Burger King (at least until I get an irresistable craving for a whopper!haha!)

-Shannon
Mom to Ellen 7/23/2003

Momof3Labs
11-13-2003, 12:15 AM
Honestly, I'd start with your local La Leche League group because they probably know what has been attempted in your state so far. Plus, you'll probably find plenty of support in LLL locally and nationally (including experience with passing laws in other states), and perhaps even some funding down the road!

agomalley
11-13-2003, 10:40 AM
The LLL idea is great. You can also contact your local state representative and your state senator. I've heard that it only takes a few calls on a topic to get legislators' attention. Start rallying people to call and I bet you'll get a response. Good Luck!

PS - I'm not going to BK either. BTW, if someone did have the gall to say something to you, you could always say, "According to the law, I have the right to nurse anywhere I want to!" They probably won't know that the law is in another state :)

sntm
11-13-2003, 01:21 PM
I'll be home for the holidays -- I would LOVE to help out! My mom used to know some of the legislators in our area (Ashland) who might be sources of info. And I know some lawyers. OOooh, I'll get my HS reunion list -- at least one female lawyer. I'll see if she wants to try to make history by helping you out.

I'll be happy to NIP and try to get manhandled by the coppers so you have your Roe. My mom is a bit of a firecracker so she would be sure to get something started.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

stillplayswithbarbies
11-13-2003, 03:41 PM
Even if there is no law that says you have a right to breastfeed, you still do have that right. The problem would be if there is a law against it, which there is not.

But it is still a good thing to have the law state that you specifically can breastfeed in public.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03