PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing for your daycare providers for Christmas

Jen in Chicago
11-13-2003, 09:40 AM
I am making my list and checking it twice.

There are 5 people that "touch" Jude at daycare. The owner or office manager (my title for her) check him in daily and answer my numerous phone calls when he is not up to par. There are 3 women that man the nursery room during the day. One is new, and the other two are SO loving to Jude.

Do I have to do the same thing for all of them, even the new one?

What is too much? What is too little?

I was trying to think if there is a place close by that I could buy them gift certificates for, and the only places are Jewel (grocery) and KFC.

Plants? Flowers? Baked Goods? Cash? Gift Certificates? Food gift baskets?

They do all wear aprons with big pockets that are a bit worn. New aprons be tacky?

I am at a loss!

jmofarrill
11-13-2003, 10:13 AM
I have been thinking about this myself. The problem is, almost everyone spends time in the nursery, and almost everyone spends time with Anwyn. I don't want to buy something for everyone because A) I'll miss someone and B) it's too d@mn expensive.

Sooo, I was thinking of picking up a fruit tray or something from Publix (grocery) with a generic "Thanks Everone" card. I would like to do something individual, but it just isn't feasible.

If anyone has any other ideas, please share!

farsk
11-13-2003, 10:48 AM
Hello!

I've been thinking of the same thing! Here's what I plan on doing (unless I find a better idea on these fabulous boards!)

For Ellen's two regular "teachers", they will get gift certificates. They are with Ellen all day, and I feel like they deserve more. Then I plan on bringing a goody basket for people who give breaks, etc. That way, everyone who has contact with Ellen gets a little something, but her two main teachers get a little more.

Does this sound good?

Thanks!
-Shannon
Mom to Ellen 7/23/2003

mattiew
11-13-2003, 10:57 AM
I think a big goody basket/food tray would be nice. Perhaps muffins, cookies, or Krispy Kreme donuts? Fruit, veggies, and nuts might also be a healthier alternative. Another idea (as I look at my dry, chapped hands from all the hand washing I do and I only have one child) is a basket of hand washes and lotions that are to help with dry/chapped hands. I know Bath & Body Works has some great ones out. I'm thinking of giving video rental gift certificates and maybe throw in some popcorn and candy.

I also like (gets expensive if they deliver)
http://www.cookiesbydesign.com

Hope that helps!
Carrie

KimberleyDawn
11-13-2003, 11:08 AM
I need help with this too!
Just remember that most daycare centre's don't allow nuts on the premises!
Keep the suggestions coming.
Kim

km
11-13-2003, 11:55 AM
I apologize for the length, but I have struggled with this for years now....

I think the most important thing is to let them know they are appreciated. This will be our 3rd year through this, and more than anything, our daycare providers thank us for the cards we give (w/a gift) containing a personalized message. If you can, try to come up with something unique for each person (do they call your child a special nickname, sing a particular song, etc). Please let them know how special they are to your child! Sometimes it helps to write from the childs perspective (we had a colicky child and thanked an incredible teacher for being so patient, always holding him, etc,from 'his' perspective... as we knew she went above and beyond what our highest hopes were for tender care)

Now, on to monetary things.

Our first year (just one child) we gave gift certificates to the local mall (could be used in any store). No time, and admittedly not much thought, but we were told one woman bought special cream she loves at bath and body works, etc, so they can really buy what they want. (earlier poster suggested hand cream, i think thats a great idea if you might know what they like)

How much? we did equal amounts for all. I think $25, which seemed kind of cheap, but last year with 6 or 8 to buy for, it adds up! I felt like the longer term ones should have gotten more, but decided to keep it fair so no one would get upset (still doesnt guarantee they wont be upset, i guess). If i had a single care provider (nanny, etc) it would be at least $100-$200 minimum (and there may be guidelines that it should be some % of pay, equal to a full weeks salary, etc.)

Second year, I searched for ideas, but again did the mall certificates with cards. My great idea that never got off the ground was to buy wooden trays at Michaels (like cookie trays, can get em for 2.99 or less) and decorate them with kids handprints (at the time i thought making a christmas tree from handprints, now that Ive read the reindeer ideas and other things, that would be nice). Also I was concerned it may not be fair to assume everyone is christain so perhaps a more generic wintery thing might be appropriate. Then you could include cookies or other treats (homemade or not) if you wanted to (given time and money constraints). It would be something they could bring out at the holidays and use (would probably put the kids names very small on the underside of the tray, just as a reminder with a brief note about being a great teacher). I am still thinking of this for relatives that have 'everything' as a gift from the kids (they buy the kids gifts and i never know what to get them and it feels more personal than a certificate)

On the topic of WHO exactly gets gifts, we have tried to stick to the two direct caregivers in the room...but as they get older they change rooms (graduate) so they have two from early in the year, two later in the year, etc. Certificates got quite expensive last year.

Now with two children in daycare, my thoughts are:
-cards with personal note to the main caregivers for each child, plus one to the center in general to cover all the others that interact (when the main people are on break, etc. it seems everyone at some point cares for your child)
-main caregivers will get certificates to Target (we moved about 6 months ago, no more good mall nearby, center is right by a target store so i know it will get used)
-goodies for the whole staff (accompanied by the card to the general staff)...not sure yet, maybe bagels or mini muffin basket....I actualy dont know what is easiest for them.

Some former caregivers on these boards responded to a similar question i had last year (or was it the year before) so any additional input from those who have 'been there' would be great! The point is we want to do something, dont want to give you some useless chachki, but also dont have a ton of money.

If you're short on money, i think a personal card to the main caregivers along with a general card for the whole staff and some gnosh is fine. We have the ability to do more with certificates for some teachers, but you shouldnt feel you need to if you cant swing it.

If you've got the time and money, we tried to think of unique gifts for each person, but it was exhuasting (one liked to get her nails done, one was a starbucks fan, etc., but others we just couldnt come up with ideas and didnt want to seem like theirs were afterthoughts).

MelissaTC
11-13-2003, 12:23 PM
Matthew goes to preschool two mornings a week. I bought the 2 teachers tupperware. Haven't figured out what I was going to put inside but I am thinking about a christmas ornament, maybe a small gift certificate, candles, etc..

KMommie
11-13-2003, 12:24 PM
I am so glad you brought this up!!

I'm a teacher and the gifts that always were most appreciated by the teachers at my school(as it being the holiday season and money being tight all around) were the gift certificates and cash. The Bath and Body Works gifts were always great too, I've never had to buy any for myself, and have pretty soap and lotion in the powder room, and kitchen all year long. The sentimental gifts (school personalized quilts, student made art, all different kinds of knicknacks that said #1 Teacher), were wonderful when given, but after I brought them home, what would I do with them? I really didn't want to decorate my home with cute, school related themed things, I'd feel like a Hallmark store, KWIM? I hope I don't sound too materialistic.

One of Kiki's teachers is a single mom. One evening I was picking DD up a bit later than usual, and she commented that she really needed to get out of there "on time" since she had an appointment with WIC. So, I'm really thinking that the teachers would all appreciate a little cash or gift certificate, but wanted to dress it up a bit, with something special.

I LOVE cookies by design, so cute! I also LOVE to send Creative Cakery (www.creativecakery.com). Maybe I'll send one of those to the office... This is getting expensive!!

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

sntm
11-13-2003, 01:14 PM
It is a tough question. I like gift certificates -- they are more personal than money and can still be partially individualized to the person but you don't run the risk of giving them something they don't want/need that will get tossed. Food items are nice, but I have a feeling that those places are overrun by goodies over the holidays.

We also have the question about what to do with the new provider? Our room is staffed with two people -- one is leaving right before X-mas and a new woman just started to take her place. Same amount for all three? I feel closer with the first two, but the new one should be around for a while.

Probably we will get a $30 GC to the local movie theater for the one who is staying, a $30 subway pass for the one who is moving to NYC, and probably $30 GC to the mall for the new one.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

redhookmom
11-13-2003, 01:57 PM
I plan on making simple bookmarks with my son and daughter and including them in a card with a gift certificate to a local bookstore. I am thinking I will vary the value of the gift certificates.

Jessica

KMommie
11-13-2003, 02:43 PM
I think you're probably right, they will be overrun with food items in December. Maybe I'll wait until January and bring in a fruit basket, after all the overindulging, a little healthy snack might hit the spot?

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

nola
11-13-2003, 03:27 PM
How about candy apples? There are not so heavy sweetness, but so good. And I hardly ever get to eat them.

nola
11-13-2003, 03:32 PM
My daughters caregiver referred to my daughter as her little princess. I made a computer printed iron on transfer that clearly identified my daughter as the caregivers princess. I ironed it on one of her onesies. It only cost a few dollars and 30min of my time, but it was very personal.

McQ
11-13-2003, 08:46 PM
What a great post. We have a nanny and I was planning on giving her cash, a thank-you note from Declan and considering some baked goods. I figured the extra money would be good around the holidays. Who can't use that. Her birthday was last month and I got her a GC to Old Navy since a lot of her clothes come from there. I was also going to invite her to join us for Christmas dinner since her family is not in the area. We just love our nanny and she is so wonderful with Declan.

Does anyone have any advice on how much $$$ would be appropriate for a nanny. Thanks!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

km
11-14-2003, 09:22 AM
i've researched the 'recommended' gifts, and my understanding is that a weeks pay and small gift from the child is appropriate. We use daycare, so i cant speak from experience. I would imagine a nanny is a much more personal relationship.

andrewsmom
11-20-2003, 05:17 PM
I have this dilemma as well, but slightly different situation: Andrew goes 2x a week to a home care placed. DD is not going to daycare for two weeks during the holidays, but I plan on paying the provider anyways for those days not used. I was on planning on giving her a weeks pay as Christmas gift. But since I'm already paying her for days not used, should give her more cash on top of paid days not used? Or could I get away with getting her a small token gift?