PDA

View Full Version : Even the stupidest shower gift has a use

dogmom
11-13-2003, 02:25 PM
A year ago at my wonderful, but crazy, MIL gave me a two foot tall mechanical bear at my baby shower. It holds a fishing pole in one had and " sways and bobs his head while patting his knee to the music." (This is from the box.) An it plays, get ready, Otis Reddings "Sitting on the Dock off the Bay." I couldn't wait to come home to show my DH what his mother bought the baby.

Well, it's been sitting in the nursery in the corner with the large boxes of diapers stacked on it. I was packing up too small clothes and cleaning the room out the other day and started feeling guilty. So I put this thing together and place it on top of the dresser next to the changing table.

I've been having problems getting my DS to hold still for diaper changes. I find the best shot I have is to let him stand up, grab the dresser, and try to pull things off of it while I change him standing up. I turn this Bear on and he just lies there and stares at it. Doesn't struggle, just put his hands behind his neck and lies there. So, besides the fact I find myself humming "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" all day long, it is definately a win situation. So don't throw out those silly shower gifts, they may prove useful. :)

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

mharling
11-13-2003, 02:52 PM
First off, I can't believe that was a gift at a baby shower! He he. But it sounds like it works great for Harvey! Too funny.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osnt.jsp?i=67b0de21b356c32425b2 - Halloween Pics!

deborah_r
11-13-2003, 03:10 PM
Hey, whatever works, right!

Can't wait to see what she gets him for Christmas! :)

bluej
11-13-2003, 03:35 PM
That is funny!

MelissaTC
11-13-2003, 06:13 PM
LOL...do we have the same in-laws?

My in-laws carried on that they had a wonderful first Christmas gift, blah blah blah. Mind you, this was when I was pregnant. My Mom did the same thing. "I want to buy the baby's first gift" she said. Well, I opened my Mom's gift and it was a large, stuffed Curious George from Macys. It was adorable.

We went to my in-laws. My MIL starts raving about how my FIL picked it out all on his own and that it was a toy. I opened the box and to my horror, pulled out...SCOOTER SANTA! It is the freakiest thing next to Santa dancing to La Vida Loca. I was horrified. We haven't taken it out the box since but I have a feeling that Matthew will LOVE it this year.

Melanie
11-13-2003, 07:13 PM
That's too funny!!