PDA

View Full Version : Now the risk manager is telling me they might not pay the full amt. to replace the Marathon???

cchavez
11-13-2003, 06:49 PM
I called her this morning and left a msg. to tell her that we were probably going to get a new Marathon this wkend since we don't want our son to be riding around in a defective/damaged car seat. She emailed me back...basically saying go ahead and get it if that is the one you "want" but there is no guarantee the insurance will cover (or fully refund you)for a 300.00 car seat....which is what it turns out to be w/ tax

I was sooooo pissed off! I tried calling her but she was out. DH called her and left her a msg but since he is at work I don't know what he told her. My neighbors are attorneys and said they would help us draft a letter stating that we are entitled to a new car seat and the Marathon is not the one we "want" it is the one that should be replaced!

Do they want a law suit on their hands if we are ever involved in another accident and the car seat is now defective??? How should I handle this you guys?

I tried calling britax but they were already closed. I will call them tomorrow.

Thanks.

pritchettzoo
11-13-2003, 07:08 PM
Ummm, get your neighbors to help you write that letter. I don't think there's much chance of them getting out of replacing your car seat. It'd be different if you had him in a shoe box and now were getting the most expensive one out there just to screw with them, but you're merely replacing what you already had. I'm sure your neighbors will tell you this, but keep a paper trail! Make notes of all conversations including names, times, dates, etc. It's the insurance adjuster's job to close the claim paying out the least amount of money.

Also, my dad was telling me something about how you should replace the seat belts in your car if you're ever in an accident. But of course insurance companies won't cover it unless they are visibly damaged in the crash. If the crash was of a more severe nature, I would look into replacing the belt that holds the car seat. But that just might be me being paranoid!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

cchavez
11-13-2003, 07:54 PM
Thanks. We are going to stick to our guns! I just wish I could find a source to show that that car seats should be replaced even if the accident was minor....does anyone know of this source?

Momof3Labs
11-13-2003, 08:18 PM
Try the car seat techs on the car seat board.

You can also get the Marathon for around $200 shipped - a few people have posted links on the car seat board. Then you have a better chance of the insurance paying the whole thing.

deborah_r
11-13-2003, 09:43 PM
Yeah, that's crazy. Our car was broken into and our stereo was stolen, and our insurance covered replacing it with the exact one OR a better one, if ours was not still available. We ended up with a better one, because our model was not available. They are replacing what you already have and that they ruined - you shouldn't have to go to a lesser car seat.

Not that you should have to, but I got my Marathon for $209 with free shipping a while back, and there are probably still some specials!

lukkykatt
11-13-2003, 10:04 PM
Christine, I used to do RM for a living, and I don't see how they can get around not replacing your seat with another Marathon. That is like saying sorry they hit your Lexus, but they'll be replacing it with a Chevy - you didn't need such an expensive car anyway.

Just call back tomorrow and go over the facts with her. You had a brand new Marathon that you cannot use anymore. You will be replacing it with the same seat that you had. There should be something in your manual about replacing the seat after a collision. You can copy that and send it in with your claim.

I would first try to handle it with her yourself, and only involve your neighbors if she gives you a hard time. You are also welcome to email me for some specific things I can suggest if she still gives you a hard time. I not only used to work in RM, but I also successfully fought an insurance company who did not want to replace our car seats after an accident.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

ddmarsh
11-13-2003, 11:26 PM
Someone on Stroller Swap posted about selling brand new Marathons for $180.00 shipped - incredible price. If you email me I will send you the info if I dig around in my mail (I forwarded her info to my sister).

cchavez
11-14-2003, 08:40 AM
Thanks everyone! DH called her yesterday afternoon and apparently there is no problem w/ getting a new marathon now. But if you do run into problems I will let you guys know. I realize we could get Marathon at a cheaper price but if we have to have it shipped then DS has to be in a defective seat for awhile. I would rather get the new seat ASAP. We actually had a coupon that that used at BRU when we got our seat but I don't think there are any coupons available right now so they will have to wind up paying full price.