PDA

View Full Version : Updated: Hip hip hooray - date night! (what movie should we see?)

mamahill
11-14-2003, 12:19 AM
Ok, so I know that very few of us get out to the movies very often (LOVE Netflix!), but we're leaving Ainsleigh at my parents' for 24 hours and having an "Us Night" - dinner, movie, breakfast, etc. you get the point. Anyway, there were several movies I've been thinking of seeing, but after hearing some reviews from my reliable sources, I'm not so sure. So now we're thinking "Runaway Jury." Has anyone else been to or heard of good movies out right now? (and, presuming there's more than one, I'll add it to my rental list! an opportunity like this only comes along in a great while!) Now, of to decide what to wear... (and it DEFINITELY won't have an elastic waist, or be fleece lined!!)

Marisa6826
11-14-2003, 12:29 AM
Oooh oooh!! Movies!! I haven't seen one since My Big Fat Greek Wedding. And to think that we used to go once a week :(

What about LoveActually? Lost in Translation looks really good, so does the new Jack Nicolson/Diane Keaton one.

I am SOOOOO jealous :P

Have fun!!

-m

pritchettzoo
11-14-2003, 12:33 AM
Love Actually looks really good, as does Elf.

But if this is a rare date night, why not see something crappy and make out in the theater? :D

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

jojo2324
11-14-2003, 12:38 AM
Hmmmm, is that new Russell Crowe one starting tomorrow? That should work for a couple: eye candy for you, action for him...

I never used to get the Russell Crowe thing until I saw a commercial for that film. :)

Of course, I would probably go see Elf. I'm dying to see it!! :)

Have a great time. Soooooo jealous!! :D

egoldber
11-14-2003, 07:51 AM
DH and I are trying to find a way to see the new Russell Crowe movie, "Master and Commander". This movie is based on the book of the same name by the late Patrick O'Brian. I am a huge fan of these boks and have read them all (there are maybe 20 books?), so I don't even know if the movie is sipposed to be bad or good, but I HAVE to see it! :)

mamahill
11-14-2003, 11:31 AM
DH actually suggested the "Master and Commander" but I hesitated because I hadn't seen anything about it. My parents just went to "Love Actually" and were sorely disappointed. And that would take a lot since my mom LOVES Colin Firth, Alan Rickman, Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant, etc. They said that there were too many story lines and that it was VERY deserving of its R-rating with the amount of nudity. My mom even said that she didn't want my sister to see it (who has been impatiently waiting for it to come out) because she'd be so disappointed. :(

And I figure, if we're going to spend the $9.50/ticket then I do NOT want to leave the theater bummed. I'll look into some of those other titles. I'm so excited!! I LOVE movies the previews, the popcorn, the anticipation! The last movie we saw was Pirates of the Caribbean and it will be hard to top that - it was fanTAStic! (but then I am a little biased due to the Depp/Bloom factor)

Karenn
11-14-2003, 11:37 AM
We went to Runaway Jury for our date night a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was great! Plenty of drama to be entertaining, but not too heavy for our first night free in MONTHS! (Or at least it felt like months!) We're going out again tonight and I can't wait! I haven't been brave enough to go overnight yet. Hmm, maybe I need to start thinking about that...

Calmegja2
11-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Love Actually.

Saw it last week. It will make you feel gushy and squishy, and completely head over heels in love. ;-) Seriously.

divabell
11-14-2003, 11:52 AM
DH and I saw "Love Actually" last weekend and we loved it. There is one story line with nudity--but it's really funny. And I thought they handled the multiple story lines very well. We left feeling great and very glad we saw it. I guess the mixed reviews it got are representative of our opinion vs. your parents'! But we really did love it.

"Master and Commander" so far seems to be getting great reviews. I know what you mean about not wanting to waste money on a bad movie--we are very picky! Which means we probably won't go see anything else before baby arrives... and I *love* going to the movies, too, so I've really been disappointed that there has been so little worth seeing this fall!

Have a great time!

celfsh
11-14-2003, 11:57 AM
We just saw Runaway Jury a couple of weekends ago (also our first movie in a looong time) and it was fabulous! Not big on romance if that's what your in the mood for, but what a ride! Plus, I love John Cusack and think Rachel Weisz is great in every movie.

Have fun!

ETS: SIL saw Elf last weekend with her BF and said it was hysterical. The image of Will Farell in an elf costume kinda trips me out, though.

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

starrynight
11-14-2003, 11:59 AM
I'm jealous ;). I hope you have fun, it's absolutely pathetic when I think of the last time I went to the theaters! I have no reviews as I haven't seen anything lately.

dogmom
11-14-2003, 01:14 PM
I know I'm out in left field with this one, but if "Lost in Translation" is still playing I would recommend that. It is one of the best movies of the year. I love Sophia Copolla's direction. I think the whole movie is so worth it for this one line Bill Murry has about how is life has changed after he and his wife had kids, which makes you think that it isn't worth it, but in the end he winds up saying that your kids are the "most interesting human beings you will ever know." I just think that's the most accurate expression of how I feel about my son. It is not a faced paced or over the top movie. I do think it is beautifully shot and just so well acted. It doesn't have a everything is fine ending, but it is a sweet ending.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

lizamann
11-14-2003, 03:15 PM
Oddly enough I'm more up to date with movies than usual thanks to Reel Moms. I have seen and can recommend Elf, Runaway Jury and School of Rock. I liked them all (and usually I am hard to please.) R. Jury has some good suspense, comparable to Enemy of the State if you saw that. Elf is really stupid, but fun in a stupid way, with really good sight gags. School of Rock is really sweet the way Jack Black interacts with all the cute kids and helps them reach their potential. It's the way all teaching should be! I taught that age group and it made me nostalgic for my job (for about 5 minutes!)

Have fun with your night out!

flagger
11-17-2003, 09:35 AM
Ok so what movie did you end up seeing. All of us jealous daddies and mommies are waiting with baited breath for the less than nitty gritty details. ;)

sweetbasil
11-17-2003, 11:52 AM
Ditto Flaggers post! Can't wait to hear all about your fun (well, not all about your fun...what movie did ya pick?! :)

flagger
11-17-2003, 06:30 PM
>Ditto Flaggers post! Can't wait to hear all about your fun
>(well, not all about your fun...what movie did ya
>pick?! :)

I guess she is just being a lady and not kissing and telling. :D

mamahill
11-17-2003, 06:40 PM
LOL, I don't see any ladies around here! :D We actually saw *gasp* TWO movies! We saw 'Master and Commander' Friday night and it was v.good, though I can't tell you how glad I am to NOT live on a big ol' boat. While there was a lot of action, there were also some very mellow scenes. Some seemed a bit long, but the musical score was fabulous. Russell Crowe made a pretty good effort at "playing" the violin, but that kind of stuff always makes me laugh. I'm not sure if this film is for everyone, but we enjoyed it. If I could choose one word to describe it, though, it would be "deliberate." Everything had a reason in the movie. The boats were beautiful. But again, I'm so glad I don't travel by boat.

Saturday early afternoon (I'll just skip over about 12 hours, but say that a night away/alone is SO rejuvenating. I woke up at 8:30 all on my own and was thrilled just to be able to lay there) we saw "Runaway Jury" and it was great, but then I'm a big John Cusack fan. I would recommend DEFINITELY putting this on your list of "to see/rent" movies. I also love Gene Hackman, and he was fabulous. One word to describe this one? Nervous. That's how I felt the whole time. Like 'What's going to happen next?!' It was great, and anyone having been to New Orleans would appreciate the setting.

So those are my reviews. I wish EVERYONE a date-night. DH has promised to make this a monthly event (maybe not always handing Ainsleigh off for 24 hours, but definitely getting away), so we'll see if I can hold him to it. Thanks for asking!