PDA

View Full Version : My old boss called - How can I leave Sophie?!

Marisa6826
11-14-2003, 12:26 AM
A little history first. I used to run an office for a very high-end contractor here in town. The owner and I became good friends and have remained so even after I left a year ago August. He kept me on the insurance until Jonathan got a job, went and looked at houses with us telling us what was crap and what wasn't, even found me a free (!) new pedestal sink for my new bathroom.

He called me today freaking out that the girl who's been working for him bailed two days ago. She's not the one I trained - she's the one after - and is pretty ditzy (OK - a LOT ditzy).

Anyway, it seems she screwed up the majority of his files, finances, etc. He's so desperate to get me back in there to clean it up, he offered to pay for a sitter for Sophie, pay ME and also FIND a sitter. His wife is due with their first babe on Christmas Eve, he's trying to finish renovations on his house, run a business and keep everything going by himself.

I told him I would do it - he's asking for 2-3 days a week until I can get everything straightened out. He's found me somebody to watch Sophie who I trust will be fine (she's a p/t Nanny for a mutual friend).

Now that I've agreed to it, I'm kind of freaking out about leaving Sophie. His office is only two blocks from here, but still, I've not really left her for more than a couple hours with anybody other than close friends.

To tell the truth, I'm kind of wierded out by having this woman in my home. It's an absolute wreck since we're now getting into packing "mode". And the biggest dirty secret is that the dogs are paper-trained. I really don't want to subject the sitter to newspapers on the bathroom floor. Unfortunately, the dogs are old, not the most continent and very stubborn.

UGH.

Any ideas?

-m

pritchettzoo
11-14-2003, 12:31 AM
Congratulations!

Are the dogs crate trained as well? Don't they have crates where the dogs can go and it falls through a grate onto newspapers below? I don't know your feelings about crates, so I hope I'm not offending you. I have two big, dumb sweetheart dogs that are NOT crate trained...they aren't much of anything trained, but they do go outside (for the most part...knocking on wood...).

Good luck!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

Marisa6826
11-14-2003, 12:36 AM
I have one crate and used it for Willy years ago when I first got him. I have never crated Tickie and don't know how she would do. Since they're both old (10 and 9 respectively) I don't think it's fair to crate them for all of the four or five hours (at least) I would be gone. Especially with a stranger in "their" house and being that they've had the run of the apartment for years.

I can try and walk them and see if it helps, but I know from experience that I can walk and walk them, and then they promptly go as soon as we walk back in the door.

Bulldogs. ARGH.

-m

momathome
11-14-2003, 09:18 AM
Wow, Marisa!
What an opportunity! I hear you on the relcuctance to leave little Miss Sophie but at least you will have some extra cash on hand to beautify your new home! As far as the dogs go, that's kind of tough. It sounds like given their age they would be resistant to change. Hopefully the sitter will be understanding of your situation with the impending move and will cut you a break on the extra packing clutter. Good luck and give Sophie lots of hugs from us!
-Lauren

starrynight
11-14-2003, 11:40 AM
Good luck Marisa!!! I'm sure Sophie will be fine :). I have no advice on the dogs though,as I have never owned one.

Marisa6826
11-14-2003, 06:26 PM
I met the Nanny this afternoon. She was incredibly loving toward Sophie. Hugs and kisses all around. Sophie sat there soaking up every minute of it.

She's coming here 9am Tuesday. That will give me time to have her watch Sophie while I shower and walk the dogs (PLEASE God - NO RAIN!) and then get to the office by 10. I told my boss that I would probably stay till 4pm.

Wednesday Sophie will go to the other household where the Nanny works (around the corner from here). The other baby is a 9m old little boy who is twice Sophie's size. He gave her a hug today :)

I might work Thursday, but only till 2. Hopefully I can get everything cleaned up in two days and won't have to go in.

I hope the dogs cooperate...

-m