I'll kick off the holiday recipe swap.

Amaretto Fudge

4 1/2 c sugar
12 oz evaporated milk
18 oz chocolate chips
2 T almond extract
1/2 c butter
1/8 c amaretto

Mix almond extract, amaretto, chocolate chips and cut up butter.

In a large saucepan mix sugar and evaporated milk. When it comes to a boil stir constantly for 8 minutes. Pour over chocolate chip mixture and mix well. Pour into a buttered pan and chill.

Note: It's important to let it boil (a rolling boil) for eight minutes or else you get grainy fudge :( You may need to adjust the heat a few times as the mixture grows as it boils. I usually start out at med-high and then turn it to medium as it really gets to boiling.

You can leave out the amaretto and sub vanilla extract for almond extract for regular fudge. Or use part vanilla extract and part mint extract for mint fudge.

dogmom
11-14-2003, 10:51 AM
OK, I'll follow.

Garlic-Chutney Cranberry Sauce
2 c of cranberry sauce
(can be homemade or store bought, just don't use the jellied stuff)
1 inch of fresh ginger or 1 Tbl of pickled ginger (I've used both)
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 Tbl sugar
1/2 c apple cider vinegar
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp salt & pepper

Cut ginger in paper thin slices then sliver. Combine ginger, garlic, vinegar, sugar & cayenne in small pot. Bring to simmer until reduced to about 4 Tbl. Add cranberry sauce, salt, pepper. Mix and bring to simmer for about 10 min. Will keep for at least 2 weeks refrigerated. I don't know how much longer it keeps because I always eat it all. :) I'm a cranberry freak and usually have this , a horseradish/sour cream cranberry sauce and a plain cranberry sauce.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

flagger
11-14-2003, 12:23 PM
Peppermint Bark

Makes 2 1/4 pounds or one 11X17" baking sheet

2 pounds white chocolate, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
12 large candy canes
1/2 teaspoon peppermint oil

1. line a 11X17 inche baking sheet with parchment, and set aside

2. In the top of a double boiler, melt the white chocolate, stirring
constantly. (If you don't have a double boiler, use a metal bowl set over a
pot of simmering water.

3. With a chef's knife or meat tenderizer, cut or pound candy into 1/4-inch
pieces.

4. Stire the pieces of candy canes and peppermint oil into the melted
chocolate. Remove from the heat, and pour the mixture onto the prepared
baking sheet; spread evenly. Chill until firm 25 to 30 minutes. Break into
pieces, and serve. Store in an airtight container in the refirgerater for up
to 1 week.

August Mom
11-15-2003, 06:31 PM
This one is pretty easy but will impress your friends at the same time.

Peppermint Pretzel Wreath

1 pkg. white candy coating
1 bag pretzel twists (not mini ones)
8 oz. bag peppermint candies (i.e. Starbrights)

Reserve 4-6 peppermints. Crush remaining candies.

Melt candy coating according to package directions (I use the microwave).

Dip pretzels completely in melted candy coated. Place on wax paper. Spoon crushed peppermint over pretzels before candy coating hardens. I dip about 6 pretzels and the sprinkle the peppermints. Keep dipping pretzels until you almost run out of candy coating. You may need to reheat the coating once or twice if it starts to set up.

Once the candy coating on all the pretzels has hardened, begin placing the pretzels on your serving plate. I use a 10" plate. Place a pretzel on the serving plate and proceeding clockwise, slightly overlap the next pretzel. Continue this process until you run out of pretzels. I usually wind up with 3 tiers.

Then, dip the bottom of the reserved candies in the remaining candy coating and arrange them on the top layer of pretzels to mimic berries. You can omit this step. I usually do.

missym
11-16-2003, 02:22 PM
Great for taking along to holiday get-togethers and sooooo easy!

Sweet Cinnamon Quick Bread

2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 Cup sugar
4 Teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 Tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1 Cup buttermilk
1/3 Cup oil
2 Teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons sugar - for struesel
1 Teaspoon cinnamon - for struesel
2 Teaspoons butter - for struesel

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour bottom only of 9x5 or 8x4 inch loaf pan.
In large bowl, combine all bread ingredients. Beat 3 minutes on medium speed. Pour batter in pan.
Combine struesel ingredients and fold into batter.
Bake 45-55 minutes. Bread is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes before removing from pan.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

alleyoop
11-16-2003, 04:19 PM
Gingerbread Persons

1/2c. shortening
1/2c. molasses
1/2c. milk

Heat shortening, molasses. Add milk and let cool.

1/2t. soda
1/2t. cinnamon
1/2t. salt
1t. ginger
1t. baking powder
1/2t. cloves
1c. sugar
1 egg
4c. flour

Add the rest of the ingredients and mix. Let stand 1 hour. Roll (to a little less than 1/4 inch thick) and cut. Bake at 400 for 6 minutes. Adjust baking time and teperature for your oven. Makes 18 LARGE gingerbread persons or lots of small and medium ones. Frost!

Note: These are firm, but still soft and chewy cookies for eating. Roll thinner and bake longer for architectural projects.

luvbeinmama
11-16-2003, 06:23 PM
Yummy treat for coconut and german chocolate cake lovers. My mom made these for me at Christmas right before DS was born because I was craving them. They are one of my favorites from childhood.

Coconut Balls

1/2 c butter
3 c chopped walnuts
1 bag flaked coconut
3 c powdered sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 (12 oz) pkg semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 lb paraffin

Mix melted butter & nuts. Add coconut, sugar, milk & vanilla; mix well. Shape into balls (quarter size). Chill 15 minutes in freezer. Melt wax & chocolate in top of double boiler. Using tongs or toothpicks, dip balls into chocolate/wax mix. Place on waxed paper to dry.

Great with holiday dinners (and really easy)...........

Yams & Apples
(from The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes)

3-4 Yams or orange sweet potatoes (1-1/2 lbs) – peeled & sliced 1/4“ thick
2 tbsp margarine
1 tbsp brown sugar (I usually use a bit more)
1/8 tsp salt
3 tart apples – peeled, cored, sliced
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Place potato slices in a large nonstick skillet (I use my electric). Pour in 1-1/2 cups water; dot with margarine; sprinkle with brown sugar and salt. Cover LOOSELY, bring to boil, cook over moderate heat 20 minutes.
Spread apple slices over potatoes. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Cover loosely and cook 10 minutes. Remove cover, cook 5 more minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

My mom learned this recipe in a Home Ec class, and has been making it ever since. My DH and SIL say it’s better without the celery, but my brothers and I still like it the original way… WITH the celery!! It's a staple at our holiday meals.

Mom’s Home Ec. Jello Salad

1 sm box lime jello
1 sm box lemon jello
1/2 cup celery diced
1/2 -3/4 cup walnuts
1 sm can chunk pineapple
2-3 bananas sliced 1/4” – 1/3” thick
marshmallows

Make jello (both flavors together) as directed in 9x13 pan (or equivalent mold). Chill for 1-1/2 hours. Mix in celery, walnuts, pineapple, bananas. Put marshmallows on top to cover jello. Chill until set (about 4 hours).

luvbeinmama
11-17-2003, 08:56 PM
bump... anyone else?

missym
11-18-2003, 08:17 AM
Well, this isn't a recipe, but in addition to http://www.allrecipes.com
I discovered a new favorite online recipe site:
http://www.gourmet.com

This is the site for recipes from Gourmet and Bon Appetit magazines. To be completely decadent, this year we're going to try Chocolate Chestnut Torte with Chocolate Cognac Mousse. Yum!

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

JulieL
11-18-2003, 02:03 PM
YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to try this out!:9

Meatball Mommie
11-20-2003, 08:51 PM
I was looking forward to all those recipes for cookies that people said they were making :) Anyway I found my recipe (finally) so here it is:

Dainty Walnut Cups (Tasssies)

You make these in mini muffin tins. The dough gets pressed into the tins first and then they get filled. They look really nice and taste yummy!

Preheat oven to 375

Dough:

1/2 lb. butter
1 8oz. pkg. cream cheese(not low fat)
2 cups flour
mix together in food processor and chill

Filling:

2 eggs
2Tbls. butter
1 1/3 c. brown sugar (I use dark)
2 c. chopped walnuts
2 tsp. vanilla

Either Apricot filling or Raspberry filling (the stuff in the can) or you can use preserves.

Make l inch balls out of dough, press dough in muffin pans. I use a tool from Pampered Chef to press the dough, but you can use your fingers. Don't make the dough too thin or the filling will come through on the bottom.

Fill with 1/8 tsp. apricot or raspberry filling (not too much) &
fill 2/3 way with nut mixture

Bake in preheated oven 375 degrees 15 to 20 min.
Take out of oven and let set a few minutes, the cookies will contract and you can turn out easier. ( I turn them out on a paper bag to absorb the grease) cool and store in can.

drsweetie
11-21-2003, 01:42 PM
I think this comes from Cooking Light magazine.

CHOCOLATE ÉCLAIR ICEBOX DESSERT

1 box (14 oz) graham crackers, divided
Cooking spray
3 cups plus 1/4 cup milk, divided
2 pkg (3-oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
8 oz cream cheese
8 oz frozen whipped topping, thawed
2 Tbsp margarine, softened
2 Tbsp honey
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Arrange 7 1/2 graham cracker sheets in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine 3 cups milk, pudding mix, and cream cheese in a large bowl and beat at low speed 1 minute or until thick. Fold in whipped topping. Spread half of the pudding mixture over the graham crackers, and add another layer of 7 1/2 graham cracker sheets. Repeat the procedure with the remaining pudding mixture and another layer of graham crackers.

Combine 1/4 cup milk, margarine, honey, and chocolate in a bowl and beat well with a mixer. Gradually add powdered sugar to milk mixture and beat well. Spread chocolate glaze over graham crackers. Cover and tent with foil and chill at least 4 hours.

Ellen
Mom to Laura 6/9/03

cinrein
12-16-2003, 01:06 PM
Jen,

I made this last night and it's really awesome. I'm sitting here right now with a belly full of chocolate and sugar. :) Next time I will add some almonds to it too.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

candybomiller
12-16-2003, 06:24 PM
I cannot wait to try this one! Thanks for the recipe!!

phirey
12-18-2003, 08:48 PM
I'm bumping this back up because I need y'all's help. I've discovered a number of people I need a last-minute small gift for. Thought I'd do cookies, but want something that stands out.

I have some cool alphabet cookie cutters I'm dying to use so I can spell out Happy Holidays, etc. I also need other recipes so I can mix and match for a nice assortment.

So break out your grandma's sugar cookie recipe, and especially give me decorating ideas. I cannot remember what we used to do as kids!

Thanks!

pritchettzoo
12-18-2003, 09:43 PM
I found this recipe on www.allrecipes.com and it really is the best sugar cookie ever. I don't have the patience for rolling and cutting, but good luck to you!

The Best Sugar Cookies

1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
3. Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.

I topped mine with butter frosting, but royal icing is more "traditional" for sugar cookies.

Butter Frosting

1/3 cup butter
4 1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. In a bowl beat butter or margarine until fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups of the confectiouer's sugar, beating well.
2. Slowly beat in the 1/4 milk and vanilla. Slowly beat in remaining sugar. Beat in additional milk, if needed, to make of spreading consistency. Tint with food color, if desired.

Royal Icing (from Martha Stewart)

2 large egg whites, or more to thin icing
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar, or more to thicken icing
Juice of 1 lemon

1. Beat the whites until stiff but not dry. Add sugar and lemon juice; beat for 1 minute more. If icing is too thick, add more egg whites; if it is too thin, add more sugar. The icing may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

Note: Raw eggs should not be used in food prepared for pregnant women, young children, or anyone whose health is compromised

**Anna's note: I've made Royal Icing with canned meringue powder made by Wilton (in the cake decorating section of craft/fabric stores) and it's good and won't kill anyone. I think the recipe is on the can. I saw a can of another brand of meringue powder in the front holiday food section at Publix the other day, but there wasn't a recipe on the can.

Other recipes...
Peppermint Bark

1 package Vanilla Almond Bark (20 oz or so)
1 to 1.5 tsp peppermint extract
Crushed peppermint candies

Melt bark. Stir in peppermint extract. Pour into 13x9 or larger pan lined with waxed paper. Top with crushed peppermint. Let set (chill for faster setting time). Break into pieces.

I have tons more, but Gracie's calling for a snack!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

phirey
12-18-2003, 09:59 PM
Ooooh, thanks!

You know, if I'm going to beg for recipes, I should probably post at least one.... :-)

These are "Forgotten Cookies" They come out really thin and lacy and so yummy!

2 egg whites
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup chopped nuts (we always used walnuts)
1 package MINT chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 250 degrees
beat egg whites stiff, then fold in the remainder
drop by teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased sheet
Put them in the oven and TURN THE OVEN OFF.
Leave overnight.

If you can't find mint chocolate chips, I've faked it before with semisweet chips and a small amount of peppermint extract (I can't remember how much so err on the light side)

cinrein
12-19-2003, 09:49 AM
OK, I made the Coconut Balls yesterday. Yum, Yum, Yum! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. It's like an Almond Joy, but made with walnuts instead.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03